Ceriatone Marshall clones

• Thread starter fiftycalibre
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one of their 18 watters. Anyone had/have one? Thoughts?

tarddoggy

Reaction score
I have been wondering about these amps as well. the reviews on them and the you.tube clips sold me on them,Im just trying to decide between the 18TMB OR the 36er. WHEN I get either or both! I will report my findings!

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
I'm thinking an 18W without the eq section. I'll stick a eq pedal in front. Hopefully they take pedals well.
Are you going to build the cab for it?

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
I have bought a 50w 1987 Clone on eBay - I will let you know what it is like when it comes. The Ceriatones have no bad reviews from anyone - I am hoping mine will be ok too.

Cheers Brett

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
If you total up everything, the price between fully assembled and parts is negligable. Cheaper labor.

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
Hi,

yep, I've finally got my 1987 50w Plexi Clone and it is great. I wired an interupt fx-loop into it and built a cabinet for it as you can see (see pic) - I am very proud as I am not a technician so the Ceriatone forum was very helpfull and friendly (like you guys here).

It sounds more Marshall vintage than my Marshall JCM 900 at similar crunch levels and is much more responsive. At low volume it is very pearly and jangly with a very long sustain, after 3 it starts crunching wonderfully and it wants to squeel - yeah, I need earplugs too! It is f**king loud! I have not yet played it in the rehearsal room so that will come soon.

The sound - You cannot tell the difference in sound between an original one and the Ceriatone. I had several Plexis over the last 30 years and they were all +/- similar and this one is no difference.

The price - I guess I may have made a mistake buying it at approx. 500 Euro without a head cabinet. I could have bought it all boxed up directly from Ceriatone for about 700 Euro. I underestimated the time needed to build a box and wallpaper it with tolex. I spend several weekends cutting dovetail-joints and sizing everything up. Yeah, I wanted a pretty toy...

I do not know what a Marshall re-issue costs - I think they are approx 800-1000 Euros. From the sound point of view I hear the Ceriatone is more responsive (I am open to adjustment on that). The point is that I am pretty sure that I would get my 500 Euros back for it if I was to sell it - even without my home made cabinet. so for me there was a possible 350/400 Euro difference.

Cheers Brett

Attachments

• ceriatone_marshall.jpg
    ceriatone_marshall.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 89

Pires

Reaction score
Hi I'm also looking for a ceriatone but I don't know where to buy except directly from malasya store but turns to be very expensive due to transport and taxes because it stays out of european union...

Pires

Reaction score
I wanted a 18w ....
Those plexi are too powerful for me to crank the tubes decently.

Ken

Reaction score
There's no magic to old Marshalls; not like a hand made guitar where the luthier selects wood by hand, shaves the top by hand, etc. and age makes the sound better and better. Old Marshalls are just a bunch of components that can be easily duplicated and even improved with closer tolerence parts if any are available. Plus, 40 year old components get out of spec with age and I bet many plexi's that have not been serviced sound like shit.

So it should be no surprise that for $1000 or less you can get a Marshall Plexi sound from a clone. Only a collector or an idiot would pay many thousands of dollars for an original Marshall IMHO. As art, these things are a piece of histiory and in that sense priceless, but for a working musician it's insanity to think a $4-5k, 40 year old amp is better than a clone. It isn't.

Ken

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with Ken 100% - in fact, I will would like to add that modern day rock/pop music requires so many different sounds that most of us need to use a distortion or overdrive to cover that wide range, which disguises the 'original' sound so that it does not matter if it is 100% original or not. Obviously it must be a close clone or else it will not sound and feel the same (Laney/Orange/Fender/Peavey etc are obviously not clones) but generally speaking hardly anyone (but blues freaks) play without o/d pedals etc... If you look at Youtube you see most guitarists with Plexis are using a o/d pedal.

I use a Satuchurator with a TubeScreamer / or a Marshal o/d pedal so my clone Plexi sounds like George Lynch and Joe Satriani in one Plexi box - ha! I have also played thru a Peter Linnemann clone and that was also good enough.

Cheers Brett

Latest posts