• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ceriatone Yeti

• Thread starter Springfield Scooter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I was referencing the E34L and EL34 "EH" which my BE-100 sounds better with, as the E34L might be better in a Marshall format.
I was with Dave at least eight times in his shop over the years to "personalize" modifications on my BE-100 in particular "Loves EL34's" from trying 6L6, 5881 etc.
The 5881's sounded really good, but over all the EL34 and the components used to my ears had the best tones and versatility.....

*Earlier comment*
I tried the E34L about a year ago in my BE-100 and it sounded pretty good but for that amp I prefer "EL34" EH, they're not as loud or powerful as the E34L but they give a "killer tone" Marshall-Style.
My BE-100 is also pretty modified so it loves EL34's and for preamp tubes, Tung-Sol & Ruby sound "aggressive to smooth" just by articulating pick attack. These days with a Tube Shortage I keep a set in case.
Ah, that makes more sense. Interesting b/c I was just going to look at some BE clips. I've been contemplating a Helios/Smallbox/1987 clone and thought since I have a Twin Sister for more 'classic rock' type tones, maybe the BE would be a better fit than the Smallbox next to it. Any experience with these amps?

I do think you may be putting a liottle too much stock into the brands screenprinted on those tubes tho. I believe there are only 2 factories producing tubes right now and they are far from old school craftmanship. IME there is as much inconsistency between identical brand and type of tube as anything else. Be happy you found a set that sounds great but don't count on the same results the next time you buy the same thing.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I also don't like the "Plexi-Clean" I'm more into Fender-Clean.
I’m looking for the same type of Marshall tone but switchable gain levels but with the punch and KERRANG of the 1987/1959. I am very sensitive to compression, prob my old ears but most high gain amps feel muffled and too compressed to me. I’ve never needed clean cleans—I love 1959/1987 cleans. just sold a 1959hw b/c it was just too much amp for the places we play so I’m looking at 50w amps pretty exclusively. A Voodoo Amps VPlex and a MGL 50 just popped up on Reverb that caught me eye as well—I plan on using an OD on the floor anyway and I know at least with the VPlex it sounds great

Out of that stable of yours and your experience, what would you suggest?