Changing to a smaller cab(s) footprint, suggestions

• Thread starter little_grease
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

little_grease

Reaction score
Well I have a 1960A & 1960BV and while both are amazing cabs I think I'm ready to go smaller in space and weight...I'm not getting any younger.

I use them in a wet/dry setup, side by side and sounds killer (1960BV being the dry). I love the G12 vintage Marshall speakers, sounds great with the T75. I'd like to go the 2x12 route, but can't decide on vertical or horizontal cabs. I've seen the inexpensive Harley Benton cabs, both loaded and unloaded and people seem to like them. I could pull the speakers from my 4x12s then put them in new cabs and then place the cabs in storage or sell them...idk.

I've never seen anyone do a wet/dry rig with the cabs stacked...it's always side by side to get that wide sound. Stacking two horizontal 2x12s would save me width/weight but not sure if it would sound good.....or use two vertical 2x12 which would sound wide but not really save me space on width but certainly on weight.

Or I might just keep the 1960BV and sell the 1960A. Get a couple of the Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cabs to try out.

Plus the vertical 2x12 would pair nicely with my studio heads lol

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Get two Mesa vertical 2x12s and be done with it. They'll likely serve all your needs and do so exceptionally well.

Mesa's cabinets are almost unquestionably the premium choice. That must be why they hold their value so well on the used market.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
You could use one of your 4x12 cabs with the T75s on one side and two G12Vs on the other side, wired to separate jacks. Approx. the same foot print as two vertical 2x12s. Or do you need a wide spatial separation between the two speaker types?

Just stack the two studio heads.

little_grease

Reaction score
Get two Mesa vertical 2x12s and be done with it. They'll likely serve all your needs and do so exceptionally well.

Mesa's cabinets are almost unquestionably the premium choice. That must be why they hold their value so well on the used market.

Thanks, I know Mesa makes great cabs I used to own one of their 4x12 about 15 years ago...and when I listed it, it sold quickly lol. The Mesa 2x12 is a little pricey for me right now. Instead of Harley Benton, how about the Origin 2x12 vertical...but just swap the speakers out. I don't like the 70/80 at all eww. I don't need anything touring grade ruggedness at the moment as I don't gig currently.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well I have a 1960A & 1960BV and while both are amazing cabs I think I'm ready to go smaller in space and weight...I'm not getting any younger.

I use them in a wet/dry setup, side by side and sounds killer (1960BV being the dry). I love the G12 vintage Marshall speakers, sounds great with the T75. I'd like to go the 2x12 route, but can't decide on vertical or horizontal cabs. I've seen the inexpensive Harley Benton cabs, both loaded and unloaded and people seem to like them. I could pull the speakers from my 4x12s then put them in new cabs and then place the cabs in storage or sell them...idk.

I've never seen anyone do a wet/dry rig with the cabs stacked...it's always side by side to get that wide sound. Stacking two horizontal 2x12s would save me width/weight but not sure if it would sound good.....or use two vertical 2x12 which would sound wide but not really save me space on width but certainly on weight.

Or I might just keep the 1960BV and sell the 1960A. Get a couple of the Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cabs to try out.

Plus the vertical 2x12 would pair nicely with my studio heads lol
You didn't say what amp and wattage you have, that will make a difference which way to go...

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

I bought one a couple of years ago, and enjoy it so much that I haven't plugged into my 4x12's since. Legit one of the best gear decisions I've made.

little_grease

Reaction score
You didn't say what amp and wattage you have, that will make a difference which way to go...

SC20H & SV20H in a wet/dry setup mostly, I do have an 800 from '87 but I use the studios primarily at home.

I bought one a couple of years ago, and enjoy it so much that I haven't plugged into my 4x12's since. Legit one of the best gear decisions I've made.

A 1936 & 1936V cab was my first thought as I could stack them on each other...however I don't know how that would sound in a wet/dry setup. Or stand them vertical I guess would work.

I haven't looked at cabs in a good while, and upon recent searching I keep seeing the vertical Harley Benton cabs as being a great value and people loving them. I know they aren't built as good as a Marshall, Mesa, etc...

Geeze

Reaction score
You might also look at Zilla cabs. I copied their Fatbaby OS cab and it out low ends 1960B's with a EVM12L. They also make 2x12's. I stumbled on to them on a thread about cab resonance and they seemed to be engineered for guitar use.

Russ

Calebz

Reaction score
If you're looking for something with V30s, the plain Jane v30 Harley Benton cabs are not bad at all. I have had 1 of each. I use the vertical regularly and I bought the horizontal because at the time it was cheaper than buying two raw v30s😄.

All ply construction. Decently built. No MDF or particle board.

They have a premium series now with greenbacks and other options, but I haven't tried one of those.

little_grease

Reaction score
If you're looking for something with V30s, the plain Jane v30 Harley Benton cabs are not bad at all. I have had 1 of each. I use the vertical regularly and I bought the horizontal because at the time it was cheaper than buying two raw v30s😄.

All ply construction. Decently built. No MDF or particle board.

They have a premium series now with greenbacks and other options, but I haven't tried one of those.

Yea the price is attractive on those, for real V30s. I thought about getting two of them and keeping my 1960BV cab. Maybe put a T75 in the top and leave the V30 in the bottom on the HB.

Or get a 1936 & 1936V, but I'd have to sell some gear to afford both of those...money is kinda tight right now :(. Sucks the G12V isn't sold separately...I only know of one UK source for them and they only have them in stock occasionally.

Last edited:

Kuga

Reaction score
I don't know how 2X1936 would sound in a wet/dry setup but they looks so cool when are on a stack setup.

IMG-20230301-WA0003_copy_1080x1920.jpg

little_grease

Reaction score
I image a stacked cab wet/dry rig would still have that depth (with a slight chorus on the wet) and big sound still...maybe not that wide sound though.

Latest posts