Clapton’s Live Aid Marshall JCM800 For Sale

• Thread starter Deftone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
Steve Clark’s JCM800 1959 was freaking amazing. I wish I knew what the mods were, but if I remember correctly, the components were covered by whoever it was who modded the amp.

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Head must be off to the side somewhere . I think that half stack we see , is part of Fairweather Low's rig
Kind of a draggin ass White Room , even with Duck Dunn in the band . The band didn't "catch up" til the very end . I dig the singers though

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
First time I heard of Clapton using a jcm800. Not such a ridiculous price actually.
during that time, he was always playing an "800" series...

unfortunately, IMO, this period was a boring time as far as his tone goes. Maybe more of a reflection on him, as his music, was boring as well, during that time period. Maybe it's just because he was over played, during this time, w/ not much to offer. & it doesn't help to be buried in a 20 piece band...

Seems like, every time, I turned on the TV, he was on there w his red Strat playing Layla - a song that was 1st recorded in 1970 & mid-eighties, he's on TV every day, & that's what he's playing?

Probably because his current music was... boring :shrug:

Probably a fine amp, but, not $20K fine... IMO, anyway

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And as I said in another thread , LOTS of guys across the pond used JCM 1959's Clapton , Moore, Priest , Steamin Steve Clark ....it was a logical "aint broke , don't fix it " attitude.
It's only the Americans ,who went ga-ga over the JCM 2203/4's ,as if they were somethin new .......Why is that , marketing ?

*Additionally , I remember older guys ,when I was a fledgling, being opposed to the cascade amps ....like they were the fckn plague....as if they weren't "real" Marshalls

Over these 40 years or so of learning to tune 'em up and dial 'em in , I have found that It doesn't really matter which one I use (although I prefer the 4 hole variety) Whichever one I play ,sounds like me......which I think is a good thing ,as a testament to Marshall amps

Last edited:

p3x

Reaction score
The Head must be off to the side somewhere . I think that half stack we see , is part of Fairweather Low's rig
Kind of a draggin ass White Room , even with Duck Dunn in the band . The band didn't "catch up" til the very end . I dig the singers though

I'm with you.
After Clapton got clean of drugs his playing - especially attack was never the same.

But he's still alive, so it's a no brainer.

thesunship

Reaction score
during that time, he was always playing an "800" series...

unfortunately, IMO, this period was a boring time as far as his tone goes. Maybe more of a reflection on him, as his music, was boring as well, during that time period. Maybe it's just because he was over played, during this time, w/ not much to offer. & it doesn't help to be buried in a 20 piece band...

Seems like, every time, I turned on the TV, he was on there w his red Strat playing Layla - a song that was 1st recorded in 1970 & mid-eighties, he's on TV every day, & that's what he's playing?

Probably because his current music was... boring :shrug:

Probably a fine amp, but, not $20K fine... IMO, anyway
ah yeah I didn't follow him in the 80's or really at all except the early stuff. I tell you though, he sounds freaking great on roger waters pros and cons of hitchhiking

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listing saying it was at Cream's Royal Albert Hall show in 2005. Might been there but I didn't see it onstage. Just his Fender tweed Twins. I had heard (from a directly connected source) they tried Marshall's during the rehearsals for the RAH shows and didn't get on with them.

I recall Jack saying that they tried the old gear , Pleasantly Surprised that he pulled out an EB-1 .

I had a producer friend ,rock solid connection to Jack Bruce . In a guerrilla PR move , I asked If I could open the Albert Hall shows ,solo ....on my own dime . Jack said it was a great idea, BUT they weren't havin no opening act . Fair enough , I shoulda went anyway
I opened for Ladysmith Black Mambazo at the Albert Hall once , solo . Man ,I felt like I could really sing in there

LoudStroud

Reaction score

Yeah I'm calling BS on the Live Aid thing. In the Layla video around 5:16 you can see the inputs of the two Marshall's on stage-left (that are facing backwards to the audience next to the keyboardist) that Clapton likely is playing through. He appears plugged into the top head, which is an earlier JMP and the bottom head is a 2 horizontal input JCM800. 9-10 likelihood they were using a large amount of backline rental for that gig anyway. The Marshall behind Andy Fairweather Low is a vertical 2-input JCM800.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
I recall Jack saying that they tried the old gear , Pleasantly Surprised that he pulled out an EB-1 .

I had a producer friend ,rock solid connection to Jack Bruce . In a guerrilla PR move , I asked If I could open the Albert Hall shows ,solo ....on my own dime . Jack said it was a great idea, BUT they weren't havin no opening act . Fair enough , I shoulda went anyway
I opened for Ladysmith Black Mambazo at the Albert Hall once , solo . Man ,I felt like I could really sing in there
That's cool you played there! We did as well once and, just as you said, the feeling onstage is pretty inspiring and magical, to say the least.

Thanks to Sheryl's mgr, I managed to attend two nights of Cream. Each had a different flavor. Great memories. Including standing at the urinal next to Bill Wyman. lol.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
It's only the Americans ,who went ga-ga over the JCM 2203/4's ,as if they were somethin new .......Why is that , marketing ?

*Additionally , I remember older guys ,when I was a fledgling, being opposed to the cascade amps ....like they were the fckn plague....as if they weren't "real" Marshalls
Honestly it wasn't that different here in the US. Van Halen, Lynch, Perry, Stevens, Mars, Vai etc were all 4-holers, stock or modded.

The master volume amps were popular around local bands since they could easily be bought new at the store and were more manageable at clubs etc but the big names were all using the old NMV amps.

Don't get me wrong, I have a '86 2204 here and I love that amp . I'm not bashing them at all. But the MV amps always had a backseat to the NMV back in the day.

Last edited:

Derrick111

Reaction score
Set up properly, you shouldn't hear much of a difference in a MV and a 4-input JCM800. I've owned and played both. Maybe like @AlvisX I tend to sound like me through most any Marshall. But I do prefer 70s and 80s Marshalls (MV and 4-input lead models).

Seems one of Clapton's JCMs (he had several) was bought out recently to the public for some reason and I snagged a pretty cool photo of it.

Marshall rig used by Eric Clapton at Live Aid.jpg

I do call Bull$hit on this auction though (sorry Justin) since the video clearly shows that blue shirt dude on 2nd guitar is playing the 2203 or 2204 with the SpaceEcho on top next to the Fender combo, and the other two Marshall heads (assumed to be Clapton's) are a pre '76 small logo 50w and some kind of JCM800 (small logo 50w is only one plugged in (see screen shot below). Not only that, but in Justin's own photo he refers to several JCMs that went up for sale in 2011 and shows 4 of them... so how would he know which one was supposedly played at Live Aid (but wasn't as video proof shows)? Lastly, he claims it was used at RAH show as well, and we all can plainly see that Clapton used his tweed amps instead. Sorry Justin. I'll give you $3K for it and you buy me dinner.

clapton.JPG

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
Listing saying it was at Cream's Royal Albert Hall show in 2005. Might’ve been there but I didn't see it onstage. Just his Fender tweed Twins. I had heard (from a directly connected source) they tried Marshall's during the rehearsals for the RAH shows and didn't get on with them.
Correct ,during rehearsals Clapton had Marshall Stacks set up in the studio and Ginger Baker said no way either the Marshalls go or I do and that was that as Ginger Baker had hearing loss .