Class 5... my f**king god...

• Thread starter The Ozzk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
That is an easy one to answer but it all depends on your budget. The Class 5 is one of the best values around and sounds great but, in my opinion, it doesn't compare with the JMP1. The JMP1 is a much more articulate and versatile amp, especially with the boost button, .1 watt setting and the preamp trick. To my ears anyway there is no comparison. Go with the JMP1 especially if you are finding it at a reduced price somewhere.

I can get a good deal on a 'used' (like ex demo in the box) JMP 1 head, about £140 more than a new Class 5.

My head is telling me I should be spending money on getting a grab and go 20 watt combo for quick support gigs where the 1/2 stack is not appropriate...

But man I play at home a lot... that low watt setting would be perfect here.
Does it clean up well?

sccloser

Reaction score
I've run my c5 combo through my 1960ax before and it sounded great. I think I posted about it on here somewhere.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
I can get a good deal on a 'used' (like ex demo in the box) JMP 1 head, about £140 more than a new Class 5.

My head is telling me I should be spending money on getting a grab and go 20 watt combo for quick support gigs where the 1/2 stack is not appropriate...

But man I play at home a lot... that low watt setting would be perfect here.
Does it clean up well?

If your head is already telling you to get a portable 20 watt combo because you're a gigging musician and you feel you can get more value and versatility for the money then I would get the combo. There is no doubt you can get more value for the money so if you're thinking like that you'll be disappointed with the 1 watters. On the other hand, if you love Marshall, want a cool collectible amp and understand it's intended purpose(bedroom or fully displayed in the living room amp) then you will absolutely love a 1 watter.

The JMP1 cleans up pretty well, not like the JTM but very nicely in its own way. It also has decent clean headroom, relative of course, because there is a boost button on the back that adds a power tube to the path, dirties up the tone and raises the volume. It's the only 1 watter with two power tubes. Somebody else on here said it well, there will always be Class 5's popping up on the used market to get whenever you want but that is not the case with a 1 watter. I doubt you'll get many chances to get one.

dreyn77

Reaction score
should be the same sound out of 4 speakers. nothing new! Is it louder? more bass? trebles? mids? what? you going to sell your 100 watters yet? articulate? what voltage is that!? your just making words up now. you might begetting some of that stuff called 'mental illness', you better go to the doc! 1 watt means you can play from '0' watts upto '1' watt. 5 watts means you can play from '0' watts upto '5' watts etc....

The Ozzk

Reaction score
should be the same sound out of 4 speakers. nothing new! Is it louder? more bass? trebles? mids? what? you going to sell your 100 watters yet? articulate? what voltage is that!? your just making words up now. you might begetting some of that stuff called 'mental illness', you better go to the doc! 1 watt means you can play from '0' watts upto '1' watt. 5 watts means you can play from '0' watts upto '5' watts etc....

smiley-shocked031.gif