Class 5... my f**king god...

• Thread starter The Ozzk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
We all have heard about it... it's great, it sucks, is it loud enough, does it have the tone, youtube videos... you know where I'm getting here.

So I decided to put it all to rest once and for all and try out a combination I've always figured would be killer but haven't seen yet... Class 5 with a 1960AX (greenbacks)

Walked in the shop and buddy hooked it all up. They have these little rooms that you can try stuff relatively loud.

Plugged in an LP and started at 666, dimmed the vol...

:wow:OMFG ! ! !

To be 100% honest... right then and there I had a moment... It was one of the best tones I've got from any amp other than my 2203.

I can go on and on about the crunch and sweet power tube distortion at full guitar volume, but then I rolled back the vol to try the cleans

Sweet lord... so dynamic, picking softly and just a hint of sweet feedback if you let the strings ring out... just lovely.

The volume level IS ENOUGH for a "quiet" gig at a small club. Wouldn't be enough for 100+ gigs.

Man what an amp this lil guy is...

corbo

Reaction score
Can't remember who posted it recently, but a member mentioned that he hooked the head up to the speakers of a vintage modern cab which uses greenbacks, and pretty much said the same thing . apparently the speaker lead from the combo is long enough to reach the head , I have a head on order and a VM2266c , will try it when I get the c5 and post vid

33KHD

Reaction score
That good eh??

I'm having fun figuring out my new Haze head but can't wait to get the C5 head home.

33KHD

Reaction score
Yes sir... that good... I bet it would sound great with that 1936 of yours... :naughty:

It should, seems to be a decent cab. It's a newer model which I've read aren't as good as the older models. I'm still new to tube amps so sounds good to me. Looked at some cheaper options but found the 1936 in a shop. Did a deal and traded an MG and cash for it. Hopefully will have the C5 on top of the Haze by Sept.

Did you lay your money down and walk out with the C5 or just try it out?

corbo

Reaction score
Also heard that the C5 head sounds good through a 1965 cab ( celestion 10" speakers) , there is a youtube clip of a guy running a c5 through one of these cabs , will know soon enough as I have a 1965 cab, c5 head should arrive soon

here is the clip

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMpQDpvwrA&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
We all have heard about it... it's great, it sucks, is it loud enough, does it have the tone, youtube videos... you know where I'm getting here.

So I decided to put it all to rest once and for all and try out a combination I've always figured would be killer but haven't seen yet... Class 5 with a 1960AX (greenbacks)

Walked in the shop and buddy hooked it all up. They have these little rooms that you can try stuff relatively loud.

Plugged in an LP and started at 666, dimmed the vol...

:wow:OMFG ! ! !

To be 100% honest... right then and there I had a moment... It was one of the best tones I've got from any amp other than my 2203.

I can go on and on about the crunch and sweet power tube distortion at full guitar volume, but then I rolled back the vol to try the cleans

Sweet lord... so dynamic, picking softly and just a hint of sweet feedback if you let the strings ring out... just lovely.

The volume level IS ENOUGH for a "quiet" gig at a small club. Wouldn't be enough for 100+ gigs.

Man what an amp this lil guy is...

Man, you should become a salesman. I was getting wood just reading that.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I have a little Valve junior. I recorded a clip the other day:

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4bRBIhXhc]YouTube - Epiphone Valve Junior with Haar Telecaster[/ame]

What do you guys think? Should I look at a class 5?

The Ozzk

Reaction score
It should, seems to be a decent cab. It's a newer model which I've read aren't as good as the older models. I'm still new to tube amps so sounds good to me. Looked at some cheaper options but found the 1936 in a shop. Did a deal and traded an MG and cash for it. Hopefully will have the C5 on top of the Haze by Sept.

Did you lay your money down and walk out with the C5 or just try it out?

I just tried it out... It was through sheer willpower and determination that I managed to leave that store empty handed:cool:

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Thanks man. Should I get the C5 head or a JMP1 head. There are a couple on line for decent money?

I don't know man... that's a tough one... I haven't played the JMP1. V-man and nuke have great insight about the 1 watters.

I guess it depends what you are using it for, and of course, the collector factor. 1 watters are the 50th anniversary edition after all.

Also, depending on your rig, you can use the 1 watters as pre-amps with a slave amp.

If put on the spot, I would get the JMP1. There will always be class 5's around.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
Thanks man. Should I get the C5 head or a JMP1 head. There are a couple on line for decent money?

That is an easy one to answer but it all depends on your budget. The Class 5 is one of the best values around and sounds great but, in my opinion, it doesn't compare with the JMP1. The JMP1 is a much more articulate and versatile amp, especially with the boost button, .1 watt setting and the preamp trick. To my ears anyway there is no comparison. Go with the JMP1 especially if you are finding it at a reduced price somewhere.

33KHD

Reaction score
I just tried it out... It was through sheer willpower and determination that I managed to leave that store empty handed:cool:

Looking at your signature it looks like you have a pretty decent spread of amps already....but for the money, the C5 would be a nice addition.