Coming back from a UK trip with a Marshall Head?! Am I crazy? Also.... SV20h vs 2525h for a home/bedroom player?

• Thread starter themidnightrambler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

themidnightrambler

Reaction score
(Preface: I apologize for the length of this post!)

Okay fellas, I need some guidance. I am new to the forum but hope to be a contributing member. I'm looking for the guidance and opinion of people with much more expertise than myself, so here I am!

So. My only experience with Marshall was a 1979 JMP 2x12 combo which I absolutely LOVED. But it was simply too loud and I sold it. I have since been a Fender/Vox guy for years, but it was always my dream to one day have a Marshall stack. “Vintage” is out of the question due to cost. Even the reissues are prohibitively expensive for my budget. So I basically abandoned my dream...

Until now! I have found myself in Scotland for the next week. I have come to find to my great surprise that Marshall amps are quite literally HALF the cost here, if not cheaper. I can order it online and have it delivered to my Airbnb in 48 hours. I would not even open it, but would keep it in it’s original shipping box and take it back to the U. S with me on my flight.

The Marshall SV20h or a 2525h is at 745 pounds out the door. Which is around 950usd. If I were to get one new from Sweetwater or elsewhere back home, it would be close to 2 grand after taxes. “It’s a deal too good to pass up!” is my current explanation to my longterm gf.

I had absolutely ZERO intention of coming back from Europe with a new amp. In fact, due to to a recent bout of considerable depression, I haven’t even picked up a guitar in a year. I lost the passion for some reason. I sold my last amp (Fender Princeton RI). But the passion is back, and I began researching amps to buy when I get back home to the States. And this is when I found out I could actually afford a Marshall if I bought it here in Britain. So that's the situation.

I basically have two questions:

1- Is this a stupid idea? Especially from a voltage standpoint? From what I’ve read, I would have to buy a voltage converter to get it from 220 volts to 110. They go for 50 bucks or so on Amazon. Would this do the trick? I realize that buying an English amp will drastically affect the re-sale value in the states, but my hope is that this is an amp I’ll keep forever. I am not a very technically proficient guy and beyond replacing tubes I don’t know how to work on amps. So basically I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience converting the voltage of English made amps in the States.

2- The more fun part. Which amp?! I’m considering all of the Studio series. Anything over 20 watts would be too much for my situation. And I don't really care for the DSL's or Origin series. For my purposes I think the 20 watt vintage series are 100% the way to go.

I’ve done obscene amounts of research and watched every video demo/review I can as well as reading a lot of testimony from this forum. I wish I could test one out, but I’m out in the sticks and the train ticket alone to the nearest shop would be really steep.

So. Initially, the SV20h seemed like an obvious choice. It is beautiful, and it suits my musical style very well. My Strat for Hendrix/Frusciante sound, and my 79’ Les Paul for literally everything else. The original plexi sound is my favorite sound in music (I'm sure many of you can relate) and I love nothing more than playing 'Hey Joe' on loop and just blasting out the solo part on my strat.

But in doing my research, I am hearing some negatives. Most notably, that it is very, very, VERY loud. And to get the classic Plexi tone, it needs to be cranked. I have also read and heard that it tends to be quite bright and full of treble. I’m a house/bedroom player. I jam with friends from time to time. But it is important for me to get a decent tone at bedroom volumes. I must be realistic in the sense that I don’t forsee myself playing arenas or stadiums anytime soon :)

And thus, I find myself drawn to the Jubilee with the Master Volume. I'm a big fan of the John Frusciante sound and I know he swears by these amps, as does Slash. Downside? I absolutely hate the white/chrome look. But I can get over this. And I have read that I can still get good sounds at bedroom volumes due to having two channels.

The sound I’m looking for: Your basic 60’s and early 70’s rock. Hendrix, Mick Taylor of the Stones, Clapton etc. Very much blues driven. I am not into modern metal at all so I don’t need that extreme compressed high gain. But I am really, really into late 80’s early 90’s heavy guitar-driven bands (think Smashing Pumpkins). I know that the JCM800 would be best for the high gain 90’s stuff, but I really wouldn’t want to give up that "early" Marshall sound... if that makes any sense?

I’d love to hear any thoughts. I fly home in five days so I need to pull the trigger. Usually I spend months researching amps before I buy, but I don't have the luxury this time (which actually could be a good thing... maybe it's time to do something impulsive for once haha)

If I don't get a Marshall here, I will likely fly back home and just get a used Vox 15 or another Princeton Reverb. Not the end of the world, but I am getting seriously excited at the notion of having my first Marshall stack.

Sorry for the novel^!

- Pete

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum, Pete.
Prices on used SV20's stateside have dropped into the $1k range lately (since the ST20 was released).
The voltage difference would need a step-down transformer, or a transformer swap, and adds to the cost of using a 220v amp over here.

I don't have one of these amps, but consensus seems to say they can't be tamed to bedroom volume, even with an attenuator.
If you don't like the aesthetics of the Studio SJ, have you considered the Studio SC20?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Prices on used SV20's stateside have dropped into the $1k range lately (since the ST20 was released).
The voltage difference would need a step-down transformer, or a transformer swap, and adds to the cost of using a 220v amp over here.

I don't have one of these amps, but consensus seems to say they can't be tamed to bedroom volume, even with an attenuator.
If you don't like the aesthetics of the Studio SJ, have you considered the Studio SC20?
I get great sound from SV @ "bedroom" volumes... ST as well

I will actually re-iterate... conversation volumes, because bedroom volume means that everyone can hear in in their bedroom, for 12 blocks... :)...

themidnightrambler

Reaction score

Thanks for responding!

The more I think about it you might be right... the cost/hassle of step-down transformer as well as just flying/paying for an additional checked bag might make it not worth it.

I have not seen any new Studio series heads back home near 1k.... are you referring to the used market?

I have considered the Studio SS20. I'm not sure what is preventing me from getting interested in it. Because a TON of bands I love use it. But I guess when it comes to my first new Marshall, I guess I'm more interested in at least TRYING to get that vintage "clean crunch" (if that makes sense) sound. From what I read, the Jubilee would provide a best of both worlds type of thing.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I would try to go to a shop in person,
Amazon have a strike now, and bad weather could cause delays in shipping,
I would not always trust delivery in 4 days even if promised.

Then you can try it and see what you like.

Also maybe you can get a VAT refund if you are leaving the country? worth asking.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not seen any new Studio series heads back home near 1k.... are you referring to the used market?
Yes, used.
There was actually a sale recently on new ones that seems to have ended, unfortunately.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get great sound from SV @ "bedroom" volumes... ST as well

I will actually re-iterate... conversation volumes
You getting SV crunchy / OD at conversation volume?
Attenuate?
Loop volume?
Pedals?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
If i got all of this straight, you're an American or live there.

In that case i'd just go Ceriatone or build a Mojotone-Kit. Big-Iron.

A Studio Marshall will be more pricey and not even on the same map when it comes down to "amplifying" or partsquality.

IDK any Frusciante music, dont even know what band that guy is in, always thought RHCP? I guess its rather Hendrixy dirty cleanish sound, so big iron will even work better at that.

Sustainium

Reaction score
:slash: Yup, go home and play all the studio amps and Ceriatone in person so you get the correct head the first time avoiding buyers remorse.

Resident 217

Reaction score
"Coming back from a UK trip with a Marshall Head?! Am I crazy? Also.... SV20h vs 2525h for a home/bedroom player?"
I had an sv20c I didnt like it for apartment playing. I think the SC20c would have been a better choice in my situation.
If you must bring one back search for a nice vintage head with a voltage selector that works - and attenuate that,
The hunt would be the best part hitting all the shops and internet searching makes it worth it!
That's only what I would do though. good Luck.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
You getting SV crunchy / OD at conversation volume?
Attenuate?
Loop volume?
Pedals?
I use the secret pre-amp... which is barely a boost.
I also attenuate - but you said consensus said that doesn't work
I also use 6L6GC tubes, which have more headroom than EL34

other than that reverb added

nevermind the playing, just slop. I didn't know what to play & just pulled stuff out of nowhere. stuff I haven't played in some time... :shrug:

for the 1st ½ or so, I was using middle position (2 humbuckers) both guitar volumes at around 3-5, after that, I messed around w/ it, by cranking both, then just cranking either pickup position by it's self.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the secret pre-amp... which is barely a boost.
I also attenuate - but you said consensus said that doesn't work
I also use 6L6GC tubes, which have more headroom than EL34

other than that reverb added

nevermind the playing, just slop. I didn't know what to play & just pulled stuff out of nowhere. stuff I haven't played in some time... :shrug:

for the 1st ½ or so, I was using middle position (2 humbuckers) both guitar volumes at around 3-5, after that, I messed around w/ it, by cranking both, then just cranking either pickup position by it's self.

Thanks for the clip - plenty of crunch for me.
I think I heard a little Finding My Way tucked in there... :yesway:

I've been tempted many times to get a Studio, and bounced around each of them in my musings.
Almost got an SC20, but the 4210 fell into my cart for less $$.
I have a feeling that if I get another 4 hole, it would probably be a 1987, possibly another one of Nik's variants.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clip - plenty of crunch for me.
I think I heard a little Finding My Way tucked in there... :yesway:

I've been tempted many times to get a Studio, and bounced around each of them in my musings.
Almost got an SC20, but the 4210 fell into my cart for less $$.
I have a feeling that if I get another 4 hole, it would probably be a 1987, possibly another one of Nik's variants.
I should add, I can dial it in better, I just wanted to get a sample of the cruchiness.

The main thing w/ this amp, is getting the volumes on the amp up to around 7, or more. That's where the attenuator comes in. Also, though, turning the guitar volume down does give you some good crunch w/ clarity.

Yeah, Finding My Way, actually would have sounded better w/ the guitar volumes turned down, like at the beginning. IDK, it's funny, because when I go to do some demo, I get on a tangent , & for some reason, this was a Rush one (I deleted a bunch). I haven't really played around w/ Rush stuff in decades, so I went through stuff like 2112 & I'm like, why am I playing this, it's going to sound like 💩💩💩 :facepalm: & it kind of goes on & on... especially w/ all the mistakes. There was enough here, in this to make you fast forward/skim through it...

Dave_11

Reaction score
I got my SV20H last Tuesday and found that my JohnH M2 attenuator tames it fine for low volume. Just now I had a Tele plugged into the high treble channel, 5W setting, amp volume half way up, guitar vol full, hitting it with a TS9 pedal at about 3/4 volume, and it's not loud at all. Playing chords I could still hear my wife clicking a computer mouse from across the living room. This is through a 10" cream back in a closed back cab.

If I were the OP, I would definitely buy one of these, unbox it, carry it onto the plane by the handle, and stash it in the overhead bin. Actually, since I already have an SV20, I would buy the SC20 and do the same. If the OP doesn't like it, I'm sure he could re-sell it and get his money back.

Reaction score
Hey friend, welcome to the forum and im happy to hear you are feeling better.
Your best bet is to try all 3 amps and decide for yourself, that will always be the ultimate test.

From your music preferences i think you would prefer the studio vintage. All three amps have their own thing going with some overlaps, ive played all three and owned the two of them. Since all of them are not bedroom friendly and we live in a modern world you will have to get an attenuator, any attenuator will do with varying results but even with the cheapest or a homemade one your sound will be far better than keeping the volume on 1 (or less) unattenuated. Some tone will be lost ofcourse if the speaker barely moves but the sound will still be very good, and thats what you are paying for, a good sound.

I would also advise you not to travel with a closed box when you are getting back home cause you might have problems (my uncle has to open all his boxes and stuff the gifts, electronics or whatever in his suitcases when he visits us from America)

Ive owned the sv, the sc which i still have and I jammed numerous times with my friends jube. I liked all three but the sc really spoke to me, which i wouldnt really know if i havent tried all of them. I used my attenuator on all three to get the best sound possible while keeping them usable and not go deaf. Attenuators most definitely work with amazing results and are needed either for quiet practice of just to be able to jam or perform with others without having to be too loud, they are a must in my book.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted

colchar

Reaction score
I would try to go to a shop in person,
Amazon have a strike now, and bad weather could cause delays in shipping,
I would not always trust delivery in 4 days even if promised.

Then you can try it and see what you like.

Also maybe you can get a VAT refund if you are leaving the country? worth asking.

They don't do VAT refunds any more.

colchar

Reaction score
(Preface: I apologize for the length of this post!)

Okay fellas, I need some guidance. I am new to the forum but hope to be a contributing member. I'm looking for the guidance and opinion of people with much more expertise than myself, so here I am!

So. My only experience with Marshall was a 1979 JMP 2x12 combo which I absolutely LOVED. But it was simply too loud and I sold it. I have since been a Fender/Vox guy for years, but it was always my dream to one day have a Marshall stack. “Vintage” is out of the question due to cost. Even the reissues are prohibitively expensive for my budget. So I basically abandoned my dream...

Until now! I have found myself in Scotland for the next week. I have come to find to my great surprise that Marshall amps are quite literally HALF the cost here, if not cheaper. I can order it online and have it delivered to my Airbnb in 48 hours. I would not even open it, but would keep it in it’s original shipping box and take it back to the U. S with me on my flight.

The Marshall SV20h or a 2525h is at 745 pounds out the door. Which is around 950usd. If I were to get one new from Sweetwater or elsewhere back home, it would be close to 2 grand after taxes. “It’s a deal too good to pass up!” is my current explanation to my longterm gf.

I had absolutely ZERO intention of coming back from Europe with a new amp. In fact, due to to a recent bout of considerable depression, I haven’t even picked up a guitar in a year. I lost the passion for some reason. I sold my last amp (Fender Princeton RI). But the passion is back, and I began researching amps to buy when I get back home to the States. And this is when I found out I could actually afford a Marshall if I bought it here in Britain. So that's the situation.

I basically have two questions:

1- Is this a stupid idea? Especially from a voltage standpoint? From what I’ve read, I would have to buy a voltage converter to get it from 220 volts to 110. They go for 50 bucks or so on Amazon. Would this do the trick? I realize that buying an English amp will drastically affect the re-sale value in the states, but my hope is that this is an amp I’ll keep forever. I am not a very technically proficient guy and beyond replacing tubes I don’t know how to work on amps. So basically I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience converting the voltage of English made amps in the States.

2- The more fun part. Which amp?! I’m considering all of the Studio series. Anything over 20 watts would be too much for my situation. And I don't really care for the DSL's or Origin series. For my purposes I think the 20 watt vintage series are 100% the way to go.

I’ve done obscene amounts of research and watched every video demo/review I can as well as reading a lot of testimony from this forum. I wish I could test one out, but I’m out in the sticks and the train ticket alone to the nearest shop would be really steep.

So. Initially, the SV20h seemed like an obvious choice. It is beautiful, and it suits my musical style very well. My Strat for Hendrix/Frusciante sound, and my 79’ Les Paul for literally everything else. The original plexi sound is my favorite sound in music (I'm sure many of you can relate) and I love nothing more than playing 'Hey Joe' on loop and just blasting out the solo part on my strat.

But in doing my research, I am hearing some negatives. Most notably, that it is very, very, VERY loud. And to get the classic Plexi tone, it needs to be cranked. I have also read and heard that it tends to be quite bright and full of treble. I’m a house/bedroom player. I jam with friends from time to time. But it is important for me to get a decent tone at bedroom volumes. I must be realistic in the sense that I don’t forsee myself playing arenas or stadiums anytime soon :)

And thus, I find myself drawn to the Jubilee with the Master Volume. I'm a big fan of the John Frusciante sound and I know he swears by these amps, as does Slash. Downside? I absolutely hate the white/chrome look. But I can get over this. And I have read that I can still get good sounds at bedroom volumes due to having two channels.

The sound I’m looking for: Your basic 60’s and early 70’s rock. Hendrix, Mick Taylor of the Stones, Clapton etc. Very much blues driven. I am not into modern metal at all so I don’t need that extreme compressed high gain. But I am really, really into late 80’s early 90’s heavy guitar-driven bands (think Smashing Pumpkins). I know that the JCM800 would be best for the high gain 90’s stuff, but I really wouldn’t want to give up that "early" Marshall sound... if that makes any sense?

I’d love to hear any thoughts. I fly home in five days so I need to pull the trigger. Usually I spend months researching amps before I buy, but I don't have the luxury this time (which actually could be a good thing... maybe it's time to do something impulsive for once haha)

If I don't get a Marshall here, I will likely fly back home and just get a used Vox 15 or another Princeton Reverb. Not the end of the world, but I am getting seriously excited at the notion of having my first Marshall stack.

Sorry for the novel^!

- Pete

I just got back (to Canada) from London and considered doing the same thing. In the end I didn't bother. If there is a Marshall with a voltage switch that I want, I will do it next time. Or if there is an Orange with a voltage switch that I want and that can be had as cheap as the Marshalls then I will do it. Otherwise I doubt it is worth the hassle.

I will be back in the UK in either February or the beginning of May, so if I decide to do this I will just order it and have it shipped to relatives in Scotland so that I can grab it then (on the next trip I will fly into Scotland before heading down to London).

Too bad you weren't in the US when this idea struck as Sweetwater was selling the SV and SC amps for about $1000 off.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I owned both amps, a SV20H and the mini Jubilee 2525C. A disclaimer, I did buy both amps used (both seemed to be working properly).

I much preferred the mini Jubilee, over the SV20, though it did take quite a while to dial in the Jubilee. The Jubilee’s overdrive was pretty good, but I wasn’t fond of its cleans.

The SV20H was just crazy loud for a 20 watt amp and it seriously lacked bottom-end at the volumes that I played.

I just bought a ST20C and it has plenty of bottom-end, has nice cleans, and takes my pedals well.

Latest posts