Confession to sillines

• Thread starter khan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

khan

Reaction score
Well, my amp tech thinks I've lost my mind.
I brought in my amp thinking the Low Gain input had gone out. I took out the chassis but, couldn't see anything so, off to the tech it went. When I went back to pick it up, he said he found no problems. It was me. I wasn't cranking it enough to get the Low input to respond. I guess it had been quite a while since I'd used the Low and I was going to test it out with some pedals. Sure enough, he plugs in a guitar and turns the Master and Pre way up and gets beautiful tone. We all had a laugh and the best part was, I didn't get charged any bench fee...even though I would have been happy to pay for any time put in to testing the critter (seriously, just carrying it up and down the stairs to the bench would be worth something). So kudos to my tech. The shop owner is a friend way back from the Punk days...has some of the sweetest Marshalls in the region and is an all around great guy. His techs (they basically set up in his shop and work on their own while he collects a fee to cover costs) are the best and super honest. I mean, they could have told me anything and I would have been none the wiser.
I had totally forgotten that the Low Gain needed to be cranked way up to get a response compared to the High Gain input. I was just switching over cord and being I was at home, I had he High Gain set fairly low. Ah, you live and learn, forget and relearn.
Cheers!

khan

Reaction score
Having said all that...if I do run the Low Gain input at volumes necessary to get a good tone, am I burning up the tubes when I run the Master and Pre at such high settings? Is it equivalent to running the volume at those settings on the High Gain input? I didn't think to ask while I was at the shop.
Thanks!