• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Contact Cement for recovering tolex?

tonejunkie99

Reaction score
Hello all, I am starting to build cabinets again and the makers of the adhesive I used before has gone out of business. My market is mainly down here in Texas where it's hotter than H and the last thing I need is tolex peeling off customers cabinets from the heat of glowing tubes or a hot car... Does anyone out there know of something equivalent to the quality of TRUGLU? it's currently marketed by MOJO, but it's $80 per gallon... The stuff I used before was just as good but closer to $35 / gal... Any suggestions out there? BTW 3M and lumber yard stuff wont do, been there done that...
Kindest Regasrds

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've never had a failure with Weldwood contact cement, if applied properly. As long as it comes in a quart can and it's intended to be rolled or brushed on.

The spray-on contact cement is complete garbage. I tried that ONCE. Never again.

I slightly thin the Weldwood cement out of the can and apply it with my spray rig. I have one spray gun that is dedicated only to contact cement. Get a cheap import
Binks copy and use that. And if you keep it sealed up you can leave the cement in it for a very long time. If you run it dry, half fill it with mineral spirits, seal it up, and
let it soak itself out for a good long while as part of the cleanup process.

Latest posts