• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Coolest Marshall JTM30 ever?

• Thread starter Ed A
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dwagar

Reaction score
btw Ed, you can bypass the diode circuit on these. Andy Brauer mentioned it in an old VG article.

I bypassed my JTM60. You do have to crank it some, to get into tube distortion.

X2203xman

Reaction score
btw Ed, you can bypass the diode circuit on these. Andy Brauer mentioned it in an old VG article.

Will this sound dfferent from the clean channel cranked?Great looking amp OP.I use my jtm-30 a good bit.I love the clean channel with a old sd-1.

Force235

Reaction score
Jeff is right in the Boston area, right by me, this is good... :)

Ed A

Reaction score

I have heard that this mod works much better on the JTM 60 rather than 30. I understand if you do it to a 30 you can't get the amp to drive at all it stays clean. As I had mentioned the JTM30 sounds fantastic as long as you are cranking it. No fizzy diode crap happening when turned up. That's what I use the amp for anyway. If I want overdrive at low-volume my fender deluxe II is the best I've ever found for that.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Here's a dial setting for you. It's ol grandpa Chuck Berry's tone from the song 'Carol' from the ultimate collection CD.

you'll need the JTM 30 and a fairly modern strat. I'm using the first Highway 1 strat with the texas special pickups (it has humbucking sound with the switch in position 2 and 4)
the guitars Vol is on 10 and the top tone (neck pickup) is on 7, the bottom tone is on 6.

dirty channel, gain 5, vol 5, bass 5, mids 5, treb 5, reverb 5, vol 6.

he's definitely flipping between neck and bridge pickups all the way through the song.
I get the impression chuck loved playing the guitar!

Force235

Reaction score
This is the coolest Marshall ever, and I'm going to make one out of my JTM60 1x12, thanks for posting...

dreyn77

Reaction score
These amps are made for the blackmore strat. or the EVH wolfgang.

they totally restore all the 'bass' type of sound which the amp and orig speaker loose.
THose clipping dieodes work really well in the amp design.
I was jamming along to hendrix live with the blackmore and the mr scary.
this thing smokes lots of amps. ;)
plug in a small pickup and this thing is brittle and nasty, so much so you'll want to sell it.
this vintage pickup setup can give you the impression the amp is a 'clean', 'only great clean' amp sound but it's late 90's, 900 era amp. it's 'high gain'. so you must use the correct pickup types for that sound. in the same way, celestion made the vintage 30's for the high gain gen of guitar players. the heritage speaker is the next step in that evolution of high gain players.
but basicly what this setup is doing is it's makeing the old high gain sound from distorting valves and pedals and speakers, but it's doing it reliably.
If you start plugging in vintage gear, you're wasting your time.

THat good clean sound is NOT a good clean sound. it's a high treble version of a clean sound. it's lost lots of pres and sound force.
Get the highgain pickups and use the mr scary cable and this amp will kick butt!

cruisemates

Reaction score
I have owned a couple of these. They are very bright & fizzy, but with EL34s or 6L6s you could use a good overdrive to push the preamp and output tubes. They sounded very different from one another.

Also, I have a couple D120 speakers in an old Twin Reverb. Those are oddball speakers; not like Celestions at all.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Yep, I just demoed this jtm30 amp sith the SD quarter pound pickups, and I'm totally convinced it's supposed to run them to get the Jimi hendrix, JTM45-100 with the fuzzy pedal sound.

Yeah it absolutely matches the 68 sound, and therefore earns the right to the JTM title in the name.
NOte for note, buzz for buzz, warmth for warmth, sparkle for sparkle, it's all there.

Well done marshall! ;)

Don't change the original speaker! Don't mod the amp! just use the quarter pound pickups.

I have a theory Mr Blackmore was using the 900 back in the 90's. possibly white 900's. ?

dreyn77

Reaction score
I was jamming along to hendrix "live in the west'. If you like the 68, track 3, song 'little wing', the JTM 30 does a great version of that sound.

the amp doesn't need to be loud either. this is perfect bedroom jamming version.
you can fuzz the sound with guitar tone pot and roll the guitars vol down to slightly clean up the sound. and then you can still click over to the total clean sound also.

riefil

Reaction score
You have to hear this bad boy. EDA posted it on youtube. Un-Freaking real. Then again Ed could make a SS Marlboro amp sound fantastic. Ed you should post the link here...I don't want to overstep any bounds.

Force235

Reaction score
Nope. I did one of the heat fixes recommended for this amp and I've had no trouble at all. I know many suggest installing a fan but the fix I did is much easier. I got a four-inch by 12 inch sheet of aluminum diamond plate and slipped it between the tubes and the chassis using double back tape to mount it. It reflects the heat from the power tubes and also acts as a heat sink keeping the heat from damaging the PCBoard. And the other quickfix I needed to do was to keep a jumper in the effects loop at all times, since doing that I've gigged hours with the amp with no trouble.

Ed, so you have had this for a while now, how has it been holding up? Happy with all of your design choices? (pine wood, etc). I'm thinking of ordering up the exact some thing from Bob, I am a little concerned about the softness of the pine vs. a birch ply, but I do want a light weight combo.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice job, but I kinda like the original.
Sure it needs new grill cloth and maybe tolex, but I have never been a fan of 'top-loaders'.
I need to see the settings from several feet away.

maxdoll

Reaction score
Hi,

Coolest Marshall JTM30 now has a little brother !
I've always liked the bluesbreaker combo style so I decided to hot rod my faithful jtm30.
I asked a local cab builder to build me a high quality bluesbreaker style cabinet and here is the result :

It is a bit oversized compared to the original cabinet :

I also put an old and great sounding 12" fane speaker from the early 60's that comes from a VOX AC10. I added a weber beam blocker and it works great !
The speaker is 20w so I can't push the amp too much but I use it clean and use pedals for the crunch and overdrive sound, so it works well in my case.
Tubes now are RCA 6L6GC Blackplate with a cooler bias and NOS RCA 12AX7 Greyplate.
The reverb tank is a mod, and I also upgraded the speaker cable and reverb cable.

I think the result really sounds and looks great now ! A great blues machine !

Last edited:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Bob's stepped out for a breather so maybe I'll answer the question.
back in the 1590's there were skillful sailors who needed to earn a few extra dollars/pound. so they hooked up a rope from a chapel steeple and angled the other end onto the ground. the sailor slid down the rope head first and they (city folk) called him 'the flying man'.
Now in the 1800's they had started to make gables of steel. it wasn't the rope of yesturyear so the stunt men called their new cables. the 'Mr Scary' cables.
now today George Lynch revived the name and used it on his great product.

or not.

GUYS! the orginal speaker for the JTM30 is actually really incredible! don't swap it! the heritage speaker makes THE OLD SOUND. but in a brilliant new way. just point it at your head. you'll hear the old sound like KISS or Jeff BECK, etc...
maybe you don't want the old marshall sound.
Sure, we've all heard the sound from outside the 20 degrees zone and it's bright and nasty but that's NOT the correct sound.
celestion can't possibly label the speaker any more clearly for the sound it actually makes. it's the heritage sound. the old sound. you know? the marshall and the celestion sound from 40 years ago.
WHY would you throw that great bright treble sound away??
it makes no sense to me.