Crap! My bridge pickup died! Dimarzio 36th Anniversary incoming, and suggestions for a better hot PAF style pup.

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve had a chance to put the 36th Anniversary through its paces. It’s a good pickup, though a little darker on top than I prefer. It definitely has a little bit of midrange honk and good output. It works well into my current amp settings - no need to add any gain. The mids through distortion almost have a parked wah quality that borders on hyped; it’s interesting, but not what I want to keep in the guitar.

I just prefer a little more sparkle and clarity, which the Mojotones have. The Mojotones have almost a Tele-like punch to them, but with PAF midrange muscle. I look forward to getting my pickup back from them.

dslman

Reaction score
It’s almost impossible to choose a pickup by videos, or technical details, etc.. Until you play it, and feel it, there’s just no way .
It’s a good feeling to find YOUR favorites.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mostly agree with that. There are just so many variables outside the pickup itself when you listen to a clip. Luckily, I think I’m actually not that picky about pickups. I just like decent PAF style humbuckers.

The 36th Anniversary is growing on me. After playing it through more of my amps, I think that that midrange honk I was hearing was being accentuated by a couple of my amps. It sounds pretty killer through most of my amps.

ampeq

Reaction score
OK, I'm pretty sure we are all in agreement the family has got to go..... I mean.... these are pickups we're talking about man!

Kidding aside, go here and call the man. I have two guitars with vintage PAF's that I love. I also like Super D's and ToneZone's, but for tone and clarity they are outstanding. He will make them to your spec as well though.

jeffb

Reaction score
The mids through distortion almost have a parked wah quality that borders on hyped;
Welcome to DiMarzio pickups. Nearly all of them have that "engineered" midrange. Even singles like the FS1.

Having lived in the NYC region for 25 years. I think it's just that Dimarzios have a NYer accent as well..a little nasal and grating at times..like my wife's accent*

And yes, it's accentuated with certain amps. It's a sound that records great, but can be overbearing after awhile on the ears. At least mine, ans several other folks I know.

The non bridge version of the 36th is a little nicer in the bridge position, IMO, but yeah the Mojotone HC is a more authentic sounding and well done overwound PAF clone.

*If this is my last post you ever see, it was nice knowing you folks here.

johnny q

Reaction score
I really like all the clips I have heard of the 36th. However, when folks ask for a vintage hot style pickup, I cannot recommend the Whole Lotta Humbucker set enough. Big, bold punchy sound with clarity and bite. Cleans up nice as well. I was worried about the 8.2K-ish neck being muddy, but no need to worry. Fat and clear. I have this set in my Gibson R9 now. Previously, I had probably every boutique winders offerings in that guitar and the Duncan's sound better than all of them - really.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
So I’ve had a chance to put the 36th Anniversary through its paces. It’s a good pickup, though a little darker on top than I prefer. It definitely has a little bit of midrange honk and good output. It works well into my current amp settings - no need to add any gain. The mids through distortion almost have a parked wah quality that borders on hyped; it’s interesting, but not what I want to keep in the guitar.

I just prefer a little more sparkle and clarity, which the Mojotones have. The Mojotones have almost a Tele-like punch to them, but with PAF midrange muscle. I look forward to getting my pickup back from them.
I just tried tried out my first ever Mojotone pickup. Awesome stuff!

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mojotone had my pickup for one day, and they’ve already repaired it and sent it back out. I even asked them to put a nickel cover on it, and they didn’t charge me for the cover. Awesome. They really do a good job there, and I hope their pickup business builds.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the repaired Mojotone on Saturday, and I’m thrilled to have this pickup back in my V. The pickup measures 9.87k, but despite the amount of winds, it has a crisp clear top end that the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary just can’t do. For me, the Mojotone is the perfect balance of clarity and heat.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I recently tried a Might Mite 1400 in the bridge of one of my super strats. I was rolling the dice on it, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. Measures around 9.2K.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently tried a Might Mite 1400 in the bridge of one of my super strats. I was rolling the dice on it, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. Measures around 9.2K.
I read up on the Mighty Mite because of your post. I’m guessing it’s overwound with 42 awg wire, and they say it has a double thick ceramic magnet. Sounds interesting! One thing I noticed on the website was that the 1400 with chrome plated hex screws costs half as much as the one with black hex screws, and it says the one with black hex screws is made by Duncan, but doesn’t mention that about the chrome screw one. I thought that was odd.

My Mojotone has an alnico IV magnet, so probably not as much output as the Mighty Mite. I’m curious if the Mighty Mite is much more strident sounding than an overwound alnico pickup. Maybe somewhere between a fat PAF and a Super Distortion?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I read up on the Mighty Mite because of your post. I’m guessing it’s overwound with 42 awg wire, and they say it has a double thick ceramic magnet. Sounds interesting! One thing I noticed on the website was that the 1400 with chrome plated hex screws costs half as much as the one with black hex screws, and it says the one with black hex screws is made by Duncan, but doesn’t mention that about the chrome screw one. I thought that was odd.

My Mojotone has an alnico IV magnet, so probably not as much output as the Mighty Mite. I’m curious if the Mighty Mite is much more strident sounding than an overwound alnico pickup. Maybe somewhere between a fat PAF and a Super Distortion?
Yeah, not sure about the Duncan/Mighty Mite thing. I can tell you that, although they're different constructions, it sounds very close to my Gibson 57 Classics. The Gibson 57 Classic is my favorite pickup of all that I've tried and what is in all my guitars (Bridge). My mindset is, if the pickup sounds "open" and balanced across all strings, you've got a good "base" tone that can be EQ'd. If you have a pickup that is mid or bass heavy, it will sound muddy and no amount of EQ'ing can compensate. IMO, the Mighty Mite 1400 is an inexpensive alternative to the 57 Classic.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I installed the repaired Mojotone on Saturday, and I’m thrilled to have this pickup back in my V. The pickup measures 9.87k, but despite the amount of winds, it has a crisp clear top end that the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary just can’t do. For me, the Mojotone is the perfect balance of clarity and heat.

I have recently installed a Mojotone Tomahawk in my V. It may be a bit hot for some... but it is awesome sounding. It does high gain well and has a very good clean tone. I'm surprised at how versatile it is.

Mojotone is doing great things!

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
Gibson burstbucker 3, try to get the ones they made before they wax potted them which i believe was around 2008? the ones without the wax potting sounds livelier. otherwise I suggest Manlius pickups, his Landmark and Fat Diane pickups are amazing. I love the combo in my Gibson LP Traditional

Ken Ops

Reaction score
One pickup I had my eye on when thinking about hotter PAF options is the SD Custom Custom, despite the dumb name.

But seems you got it sorted, OP. Good stuff.

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
One pickup I had my eye on when thinking about hotter PAF options is the SD Custom Custom, despite the dumb name.

But seems you got it sorted, OP. Good stuff.
that's a good one too, that and the Screamin Demon are very good and very underrated

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
My beloved Mojotone Hot Classic pickup I’ve used for several years bit the dust. It still makes sound, but it has no low end and measures open on my multimeter. Mojotone no longer makes that model, the closest one they have isn’t in stock, and I had planned a minor recording project for next week.

Amazon to the rescue. I have a 36th Anniversary bridge model coming overnight. It’s not my first choice, but it’s a decent pickup that I’ve enjoyed in other guitars. It will get me by in a pinch.

I’ll probably order a nice scatterwound boutique bridge pup and sell the 36th Anniversary when I get it. I’m open to suggestions for a really nice hot PAF style pickup (preferably one that comes in F spacing with a 4-conductor cable). Cheers!
I just let a set of 36th anniversary D’s go in one of my guitars. They aren’t bad.

Latest posts