Current Fane 70's

• Thread starter solarburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuffed a pair of these in my Bassbreaker 212 cab that I predominantly use with my SC800H. The Fender 212 cab has been a great addition and throws sound very well. Its what I'd call a sleeper cab. If ya know? Ya know.

The Fanes reproduce that 800 Marshall tone whether low, mid, or high gain. I hear everything I grab and pick. Great note separation. Fast tracking. Bottom, mids, and top sound great. Not pokey. Soloing jumps right out front.

I usually stay in my lane of midgain to hard rock tones. I own a shit load of great speakers ceramic/Alnico. They have all sounded great with the SC. The way the Fanes jump out front while soloing has really captured my favor. The tone is translating that killer 800 sound and I find myself having to play the amp quite often. Makes me want to get my gun off every time i turn it on. Having to restrain myself to play mellower stuff which sounds awesome too.

Shout out to Avatar speakers and cabs for carrying Fane speakers here in the states and being right next door to Washington in Idaho. Made it easy to get my hands on these.

This is my set up with the SC right now:
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod FR Chameleon.
Shure wireless so I can crank it and be at ear friendly distance.
Archer Jeff Beck OD(once in a while). Mostly play straight into amp.
Noise gate in loop. Like my amps quiet.
SC800 with Lynch Mod in V2
6550's in the power section.

VicRattlehead

Reaction score
I'm assuming the F25's would be GB like? Don't know for sure though. Just going by the 25 watt rating.
I think @Dogs of Doom is right, im sure i remember reading that these modern Fane's had a Celestion style voicing. The new speakers even look quite similar to Celestion when side by side... Ive not tried them so i cant say for sure. Fane always sound quite Hi-Fi to my ears though.

Ive been interested in trying two F70's and two A60's in a cabinet together but its an expensive day out....

LCECREAM-8-Celestion-Cream-Alnico-12-90W-8-Ohm-Made-In-England-T5953-1.jpgruzea3nnvhozg6lyvwwm.jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think @Dogs of Doom is right, im sure i remember reading that these modern Fane's had a Celestion style voicing. The new speakers even look quite similar to Celestion when side by side... Ive not tried them so i cant say for sure. Fane always sound quite Hi-Fi to my ears though.

Ive been interested in trying two F70's and two A60's in a cabinet together but its an expensive day out....

View attachment 153439View attachment 153440
Alnicos always hurt money wise. Unless buying used.

I did mix the F70 with a Mojotone H30 and it sounded great. Originally bought one to try out, then decided on making it a pair. Got all my Alnicos in other cabs right now.

Rolling speakers is spendy but the most worth while thing I've done to dial in tone/feel. I do it over time when I have the money.

I haven't listened to the A60 yet. Probably shouldn't either. Knowing me. :D

What?

Reaction score

View attachment 153439View attachment 153440

There are comparisons to celestions on youtube. The Fanes are much brighter than greenbacks.

VicRattlehead

Reaction score
There are comparisons to celestions on youtube. The Fanes are much brighter than greenbacks.

Interesting, i don't often frequent the council of floating heads on Youtube so that's probably why i missed that.

I do certainly remember reading an article that claimed newer Fane speakers were modelled after Celestion voicings ( although i have no idea why they would do that ) It may have only been one speaker in particular, il try dig up the article or quote to find out why i thought that.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The F 70 is really responsive to treble, mid, bass adjustments. The SC is a toppy amp and just a smidge off treble knob made a lot of difference. Real easy to EQ the speaker.

Fryette is using F70's in their Fatbottom 412 instead of the P50E's now.

I'm not a high gain player but my ears were picking something I liked up in this vid. That's why I bought it. I don't always come out for the better though when I act on my hunches. This time I did. I preferred the Fane miced at reference point instead of sweet spot. And its more forward voicing. V30 sounded good to me as well. The F70's sizzle can be tamed.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wished they sold the Mamzer 60's here in the states. Course these are polished recordings. Great playing!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

if you listen right here, he plays a quick progression on the GB25, then on the F25. The F25 sounds nasally, right next to the GB25

if it doesn't direct you, go to 9:15)

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can near the extra sizzle in some of these vids the F 70 has but I'm not getting that in the room with the SC. Nudge off treble and it smooths right out but still sounds open. Looks like peeps favoring the F70 in the comments.

F90 then F70

Reaction score
The F 70 is really responsive to treble, mid, bass adjustments. The SC is a toppy amp and just a smidge off treble knob made a lot of difference. Real easy to EQ the speaker.

Fryette is using F70's in their Fatbottom 412 instead of the P50E's now.

I'm not a high gain player but my ears were picking something I liked up in this vid. That's why I bought it. I don't always come out for the better though when I act on my hunches. This time I did. I preferred the Fane miced at reference point instead of sweet spot. And its more forward voicing. V30 sounded good to me as well. The F70's sizzle can be tamed.

I'm glad the video was helpful. I need to screenshot this and send it to Fane 😂

Reaction score
Wished they sold the Mamzer 60's here in the states. Course these are polished recordings. Great playing!

FWIW, the Mamzer 30 and F70 are VERY similar to each other. I made IRs of both on the same cab and the only real difference was in the high end. When I low passed them as you would in the mix, there was next to no difference

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the Mamzer 30 and F70 are VERY similar to each other. I made IRs of both on the same cab and the only real difference was in the high end. When I low passed them as you would in the mix, there was next to no difference
Thanks John. Then I don't need to go there. I remember you saying they were very similar.

What?

Reaction score
if you listen right here, he plays a quick progression on the GB25, then on the F25. The F25 sounds nasally, right next to the GB25

if it doesn't direct you, go to 9:15)

I definitely do hear something hear something of a nasal sound with the F25. The greenback sounds better balanced and has more highs.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely do hear something hear something of a nasal sound with the F25. The greenback sounds better balanced and has more highs.
I hear the the Celestion sitting back and the Fane more vocal and open.

Where this is really noticeable is soloing. At least with the F70. It definitely jumps out front and sounds good doing it. The BVH30's sounded great in the same 212 cab but they laid back comparatively. Now that's not a bad thing just different. I preferred the tone of the F70 and how open and forward sounding soloing is. Like a plexi to a JCM 800 is. Hard to catch that from vids above as they aren't soloing. I did notice a more open forward sound. That's why i tried em.

Don't get me wrong though. Those BVH30's are a great version of Anni H30's. Sounded real good with the SC. Makes me want to get another 212 for them.