Custom guitar builders?

• Thread starter TheLoudness!!
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I know a guy who got a couple custom build basses from G&L. He was happy but the wait was pretty long. G&L has some restrictions regarding body shapes, neck shapes etc so perhaps not a true custom build?? They will do some weirder stuff too though.

Custom build kinda scares me. What if you don't bond with the guitar?
An off the rack guitar you just return if you don't like it.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I know a guy who got a couple custom build basses from G&L. He was happy but the wait was pretty long. G&L has some restrictions regarding body shapes, neck shapes etc so perhaps not a true custom build?? They will do some weirder stuff too though.

Custom build kinda scares me. What if you don't bond with the guitar?
An off the rack guitar you just return if you don't like it.
I kinda had that thought as well. I do mod most anything to my liking anyways. It would be very disappointing to be stuck with something you don't bond with...

The issue is when nobody makes exactly what you want.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I kinda had that thought as well. I do mod most anything to my liking anyways. It would be very disappointing to be stuck with something you don't bond with...

The issue is when nobody makes exactly what you want.
Recommending a builder would be easier if you describe what you want.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Recommending a builder would be easier if you describe what you want.
Modified version of a Yamaha sx800 from the '70's. Dual humbuckers (Wolfetone? ), ebony board, jumbo frets, fat neck "c" shape. Bare finish on back of the neck. Mostly likely some kind of dark green burst...

Yamaha "devils head" for the headstock shape. Locking tuners. The control layout would be different than original as well. 7 pounds or so would be ideal...

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
That’s a tall order—set neck I assume? You may need to compromise on deets like the headstock shape/fretboard I’m thinking. Also figure how bad you want it. A ‘standard’ model from a custom builder is going to be at least $3k-$4k I would imagine. Anything above and beyond that will add many $$$—a true custom instrument would have to be upwards of $5k right?

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
That’s a tall order—set neck I assume? You may need to compromise on deets like the headstock shape/fretboard I’m thinking. Also figure how bad you want it. A ‘standard’ model from a custom builder is going to be at least $3k-$4k I would imagine. Anything above and beyond that will add many $$$—a true custom instrument would have to be upwards of $5k right?

Yep, that sounds right. I do tend to prefer set necks and stuff with Gibson type specs. The large neck profiles fit my hand very well. Due to arthritis which is getting worse, small necks do not work for me and cause my hands to cramp up.

The 7.5 radius small Fender necks are awkward for me to play.

It would be expensive for sure and the more I think about, my playing doesn't really justify a $5k guitar lol.

I know that Eastwood made a copy of these back around 5 years ago down to the exact headstock. They were loaded with single coils though. I'm all about the humbucker life ....

I also looked on the Kauer website again. That Banshee in the "slimer burst" is just awesome!

tallcoolone

Reaction score
This would be cool in that finish as well—three boxes checked with Kauer are Wolfetone pickups, meaty neck and crazy light weight

3038A4E8-9BF1-45D3-83E9-365845AD67C7.jpeg

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Yes
This would be cool in that finish as well—three boxes checked with Kauer are Wolfetone pickups, meaty neck and crazy light weight

View attachment 124351
Yes it would...dark burst type finish with witch hat knobs. I'll tell them I play doom without telling them I play doom lol

I also love Wolfetone pickups. The ones I tried are fantastic. I didn't like one I put in a flying v...but when installed in another guitar...absolutely epic. It's gotta be a case for right guitar with the right pickup.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Modified version of a Yamaha sx800 from the '70's. Dual humbuckers (Wolfetone? ), ebony board, jumbo frets, fat neck "c" shape. Bare finish on back of the neck. Mostly likely some kind of dark green burst...

Yamaha "devils head" for the headstock shape. Locking tuners. The control layout would be different than original as well. 7 pounds or so would be ideal...
There has to be someone willing, but I don't know off the top of my head...but I know it won't be cheap.

Good luck.

Theresa

Reaction score
First you should ask the following questions:

Style of playing?
Type of music you are interested in using it for?
Budget requirements?
Your location?

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
First you should ask the following questions:

Style of playing?
Type of music you are interested in using it for?
Budget requirements?
Your location?
I play doom, thrash metal and sometimes classic rock. I'm in East Tennessee.

Probably will
Just saw your chase here. Yeah that's' a pretty straight forward build. Send me a note at branzellguitars@gmail.com
I wasn't sure on the budget as I knew it would not be cheap and I'll have to move other gear on to pay for it.

I'll do that. Thank you.

Gary Branzell

Reaction score
I play doom, thrash metal and sometimes classic rock. I'm in East Tennessee.

Probably will

I wasn't sure on the budget as I knew it would not be cheap and I'll have to move other gear on to pay for it.

I'll do that. Thank you.
Yup lemme know...g

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by the idea of a custom build, but having that custom build turn into a stinker that I don't bond with prevents me from ever considering it a real option. If I buy a guitar off the shelf, I can always return it if need be ... but with a custom build, I'm pretty much stuck with a guitar I don't want, and that has little to no value on the used market.