Damn, I seriously love my DSL100HR........damn

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
Also id like to add to this post but not as an edit as its already way to long lol. But Marshall has finally solved the glitchy effect loop/footswitch issues that cause footswitch for the effects loop to not work sometimes. It also causes there to be a longer pause inbetween channel switching after the amp warms up. This might be old news but a quick service and firmware update (theres also a new/replacement part involved that ill post once i have mine updated as well). This mostly effected the earliest DSL40CR and DSL100HR's from what i understand. But i cant be happier to know the one thing about this amp that isnt perfect is going to be fixed. This might be old news but since i got my amp so early after release nobody knew what to do about the problem and i kinda ignored it but after looking it up today and reading a really long thread about it i found that Marshall has finally figured it out.

CraigP

Reaction score
Also id like to add to this post but not as an edit as its already way to long lol. But Marshall has finally solved the glitchy effect loop/footswitch issues that cause footswitch for the effects loop to not work sometimes. It also causes there to be a longer pause inbetween channel switching after the amp warms up. This might be old news but a quick service and firmware update (theres also a new/replacement part involved that ill post once i have mine updated as well). This mostly effected the earliest DSL40CR and DSL100HR's from what i understand. But i cant be happier to know the one thing about this amp that isnt perfect is going to be fixed. This might be old news but since i got my amp so early after release nobody knew what to do about the problem and i kinda ignored it but after looking it up today and reading a really long thread about it i found that Marshall has finally figured it out.
Well I hope you're happy...just ordered a new 100HR this morning...y'all killing me LOL

Jon C

Reaction score
I would love a link to that “Long Thread” about the repair !!

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
Gladly, the gem about how the two guys finally got theirs fixed is near the end....
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/it-sucks-to-be-right-dsl40cr.102814/page-9#post-1846960

Let me just quote a few key points...

1. So, as described earlier, my amp had a problem while using the 6-button footswitch (91016). However, I checked it out a little better, and it also has that FX loop issue. Also the indicator light, for the FX on/off switch, is non-functional.

Called Marshall USA, and the rep said he has heard of this problem, and that "some of those early build-date models" (mine is 12-17) need a firmware update on one of the circuit boards. So the amp is in the shop now. The Marshall guy also told me the exact name of said circuit board, and I remembered it long enough to tell the tech at the service center, but now I forgot! "Old-timer's"! :wallbash: I think it was, "DRB", or something like that. Sound familiar?

Anyway, can't wait to get it back!

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
I would love a link to that “Long Thread” about the repair !!
And heres another....

So got the amp back fx loop problem is history. they replaced a chip/board. Missed that sound on 20 watts. Hopefully it doesn't develop any other issues.

new pcb part M-DFXX-91001 replaces part DFX-60-00-U6.

They also found a defective C32 capacitor. Not sure what this is anyone know?

ssolo8

Reaction score
View attachment 59162 View attachment 59163 I dont know why it looks like theres something wrong with my Cab, must have been the lighting, i baby my gear lol.View attachment 59164 View attachment 59162(Way TL;DR lol) Im basically just saying the DSL100HR is a really great amp and i have been extremely happy with it. I have changed the tubes after V5 went out but thats par for the course)

I probably sound like a broken record at this point but the new DSL100HR is just an incredibly versatile beast of an amp. Ive had mine since launch so about a year and a half i think. I know what im about to say is basically regurgitated from the manual but its absolutely true. Its like having a Plexi (Clean mode of Classic Channel, amazingly versatile great sounding cleans), a JCM800 2203 (Crunch mode of Classic Channel, just like a 2203 you can dial in mild break up to full on eat your face off distortion that just begs to be hit with a TS9 or similar OD pedal). If thats all this amp had it would still be worth every penny. But then youve got the Ultra Channel with OD1 which is like a JCM800 2203 on steroids (hot rodded 2203) which makes going from your clean tone or low gain tone to a high gain tone that sounds like its already boosted by an OD. So you can still hold off on the boost until the solo and still have a low gain, high gain, and High gain boosted/ High Gain with Effects loop engauged for delay/reverb etc. for the solo. You can get every tone you could need for gigging out of this amp and if you want something specific it takes pedals great up front and in the loop. Sure its made overseas but because of that guys like me who've always dreamed of owning a Marshall( a real marshall not a little SS combo with a Marshall Logo on it) can actually get one fully capable of gigging or just playing at home. It sound great at any volume level and if anyone says otherwise they dont know WTF they are doing. If i knew how to make videos id just make a video showcasing all the things im claiming. Id love to show the few morons who got this amp at launch and didnt like it just cause they didnt give it a chance to see that it was 100% user error if they couldnt get it to sound good with their gear. I play a 6 string Schecter with a seymour duncan JB/59(4 conn.), single coil option on both pups (which sounds great and i use it often), and i play a 7 string with Fishman Fluence Modern 7's (Which i wired for single coil on volume knob and Voice 1/2 on tone knob)and they both are able to achieve a plethora of tones from the DSL. Ive been playing 18 years and im a good player who understands theory etc. (not a beginner who thinks hes good just cause hes played for 20 years lol, i really can play and I practice or practice and jam with friends everyday) and i still dont have a Tele, Strat, or Les Paul. Ive had some great guitars over the years but i normally buy cheaper guitars and then replace everything on them except the wood cause that way a can just upgrade them and spend a little at a time when i have extra money. But my dream is to have a Tele with a fender tele style Licensed Bigsby(but ill be seriously more than elated just to get a basic strat or tele, ive been clean 6 years from heroin and all other drugs but i started using around 13 and it kept me from those dreams for a long time). I might just end up making my own cause its cheaper and i can pay for it a little at a time. Anyways im off topic, Those morons i was referring to let idiots talking about "its not real cause its made overseas" convince them that they should go get some crappy budget amp with more vintage snob cred. Yes it probably will have issues eventually, all amps do but the wiring in mine looks solid. The PCB is clean and the silkscreen was done nicely so if i need to replace components in the future i wont have any trouble figuring out on my own what it requires etc. Anyways im rambling. I just had to post this cause i woke up this morning grabbed my Schecter with the aforementioned JB/59 set and did the morning practice ritual that quickly turned into an all out jam. I will say it took me awhile to REALLY find all the different tones i can get out of the amp, and im still finding more all the time. But ive had it long enough that im to that point where i can think of a tone i want and dial it in very quickly and im always blown away how responsive and inspiring the tones are. Alright, rant done. If you didnt like the past DSL's or just never got around to trying them i highly recommend playing either the DSL100HR (100w Head) or the DSL40CR (40w Combo) they both are really great amps that are priced really well. I cant speak towards the smaller DSL's but they really arent the same. The 100w Head and 40w Combo use the same PCB with the Combo having a few components removed but its still just as good as the head. In fact the couple DSL40CR's ive played through just really sounded like the speaker and Cab size etc. was thought out and executed really well. Its got great cleans also. Ok im done for real now.
I feel you, Brother!! I just got mine, as now they can handle down to 4 ohm cabs, I couldnt make this thing sound bad if I tried!! All four gain stages are distinct and smooth. My Mainline is Green Channel w gain at 11 o clock. I'm done shopping around ((9 heads and counting) Now I just need to start pile these up!
Glad to have run into you here. to share in this Joy!

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Since I like my DSL40CR so much, I'm gassing for this head. The trick for me was to crank both masters and use the channel volume to taste. Sounds so much better. You really can't beat these amps for a variety of tones, fx loop, great footswitches, good price, and the ease of biasing. I've sorta got past the whole Vietnam thing.

Last edited:

CraigP

Reaction score
Since I like my DSL40CR so much, I'm gassing for this head. The trick for me was to crank both masters and use the channel volume to taste. Sounds so much better. You really can't beat these amps for a variety of tones, fx loop, great footswitches, and the ease of biasing. I've sorta got past the whole Vietnam thing.
Running mine using the 7 cable method with an FX8 into DSL100HR and DSL40C.....rattles the walls with just a little push. Sounds spectacular.

Scott Danner

Reaction score
Greetings! I have to agree about the DSL 40C, I just got mine back from being repaired/upgraded by Sweetwater music supply. The switch that activates the Lead 2 channel went bad, but it was still under warranty, so that much was covered. While it was there I had them put in a matched set of Mullard power tubes and set the bias, and I asked them specifically to set it for that chunky rock n roll tone....think AC/DC. I also had them replace the stock 70/80 speaker with a H12 V-type speaker. Wow, what a monster that thing is now! The combination of those things made that amp everything I was looking for when I originally purchased it. I did not have to do the C-19 mod. and I got rid of the fizzy, buzzy thing that the amp is known to produce when it comes off the line stock. Now it has a bottom end on it and it truly has the "Marshall Roar" that the amps have come to be known for. I couldn't be happier with the results. I had them send me back the 70/80 that they pulled out of it and I'm going to build an extension cabinet and throw that baby in it. I've heard good things about how it pairs with speakers that have more bottom. As you Marshall users know, they are really made to push air anyway, so I don't think I can go wrong with an ext. cab. It's already got that chunky thump and adding a cab should make it a real killer. This is the first Marshall I've ever owned, having been a Fender/Mesa Boogie guy most of my life. There was always something missing from my sound and now I know what it was.......A Marshall! After over 30 years of playing guitar, I come to find out that I'm a Marshall guy. If only I had gotten my hands on one of these babies when I was young. I have only played it once since I got it back, for about five and a half hours today. I have never been so inspired by a session. It did everything I wanted and more. Sorry to gush, but like I said, it's my first Marshall. I'll let you know how it goes with the ext. cab. Rock on! :jam:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Greetings! I have to agree about the DSL 40C, I just got mine back from being repaired/upgraded by Sweetwater music supply. The switch that activates the Lead 2 channel went bad, but it was still under warranty, so that much was covered. While it was there I had them put in a matched set of Mullard power tubes and set the bias, and I asked them specifically to set it for that chunky rock n roll tone....think AC/DC. I also had them replace the stock 70/80 speaker with a H12 V-type speaker. Wow, what a monster that thing is now! The combination of those things made that amp everything I was looking for when I originally purchased it. I did not have to do the C-19 mod. and I got rid of the fizzy, buzzy thing that the amp is known to produce when it comes off the line stock. Now it has a bottom end on it and it truly has the "Marshall Roar" that the amps have come to be known for. I couldn't be happier with the results. I had them send me back the 70/80 that they pulled out of it and I'm going to build an extension cabinet and throw that baby in it. I've heard good things about how it pairs with speakers that have more bottom. As you Marshall users know, they are really made to push air anyway, so I don't think I can go wrong with an ext. cab. It's already got that chunky thump and adding a cab should make it a real killer. This is the first Marshall I've ever owned, having been a Fender/Mesa Boogie guy most of my life. There was always something missing from my sound and now I know what it was.......A Marshall! After over 30 years of playing guitar, I come to find out that I'm a Marshall guy. If only I had gotten my hands on one of these babies when I was young. I have only played it once since I got it back, for about five and a half hours today. I have never been so inspired by a session. It did everything I wanted and more. Sorry to gush, but like I said, it's my first Marshall. I'll let you know how it goes with the ext. cab. Rock on! :jam:
:cheers:
:welcome: To the forum of Marshall
New brother!
Cheers to ya finally getting on the Marshall tone front!
Cheers Mitch

George Marshall

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a used 100HR real reasonable and all I can say is WOW! I kept reading such good reviews on the HR I decided to buy one that has been on CL for the past month. GLAD I did!! I'm in the ditto club here!!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a used 100HR real reasonable and all I can say is WOW! I kept reading such good reviews on the HR I decided to buy one that has been on CL for the past month. GLAD I did!! I'm in the ditto club here!!
Congratulations on your purchase bro, and Welcome to the forum, cool avatar photo, haven’t seen a Maico Jersey in a long time

fek

Reaction score
First post! I bought a 100HR in February of 2018. Love it.

After 4 months and plenty of hours on it, the loop cutting out randomly issue started to happen. Shop fixed it under warranty about 5 months ago and all has been well since.

I go back and forth between running the channel volume up over 3:00 and using the master for overall level and vice versa. My findings have been that as long as at least one of the volumes is up to around at least 2:00 or higher, the thickness and grunt I want is there.

Will play around with it again this weekend but I have had the channel volume at about 2:30 and then bring the master up to the required level.
amp wall.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
First post! I bought a 100HR in February of 2018. Love it.

After 4 months and plenty of hours on it, the loop cutting out randomly issue started to happen. Shop fixed it under warranty about 5 months ago and all has been well since.

I go back and forth between running the channel volume up over 3:00 and using the master for overall level and vice versa. My findings have been that as long as at least one of the volumes is up to around at least 2:00 or higher, the thickness and grunt I want is there.

Will play around with it again this weekend but I have had the channel volume at about 2:30 and then bring the master up to the required level.
View attachment 60121
:welcome: :cheers:
To the forum new bro, great to see your amp is still running as expected, and that you have managed to dial in your tones!
Keep up the good work, and congratulations on your purchase!
Cheers Mitch

Reaction score
Hey Marshall bro’s .. I know this is an old thread but I just might grab one of the DSL100hr’s myself you guys our killing me over here it’s not like I’m amp poor I’m turning into a Amp whore for crying out loud 🤘🤘

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Hey Marshall bro’s .. I know this is an old thread but I just might grab one of the DSL100hr’s myself you guys our killing me over here it’s not like I’m amp poor I’m turning into a Amp whore for crying out loud 🤘🤘

It's such a great amp. I bought one around the time of this thread and haven't looked back. I use my 40CR at rehearsal and my 100HR at home with an old 1936 cab (w/V30's) and it's just fantastic! I honestly couldn't ask for a better sounding amp. I hardly even use my 2205 anymore, but still love it.