Dating my cab ( no not romantically ;) )

• Thread starter loveboat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loveboat

Reaction score
I opened up my cab today to see if it could help me decide how old it is.
Looks like 2 speakers have been replaced, and when looking at the date codes that was confirmed.

2 speakers had the date code for 2005, and 2 had the date code for 1990. If I have interpreted the codes correctly. (09MQ and KY24)

Would 1990 be a valid year for the whole cab?

It's a 1960a checkerboard, 300w, mono-only cab. Just one jack in the back, no switch.

Pictures below. Any help or insight is really appreciated.

marshall%202.jpg

marshall%204.jpg

marshall%203.jpg

marshall%201.jpg

george76

Reaction score
the grill does not look original to me. they used checkerboard on the 'ax' series reissue cabs, and back in the 70's. your cab is neither of those.

also the installation is pretty poor. not very straight, and they havent cut it flush with the baffle on the inside.

it just looks like a standard black cab to me sorry, with a replaced grill.

loveboat

Reaction score
the grill does not look original to me. they used checkerboard on the 'ax' series reissue cabs, and back in the 70's. your cab is neither of those.

also the installation is pretty poor. not very straight, and they havent cut it flush with the baffle on the inside.

it just looks like a standard black cab to me sorry, with a replaced grill.

Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to suspect that it had been re-clothed after I looked through the vintage cab excel sheet.

Im not too bummed. I knew it wasn't an AX when I bought it. And I got it pretty cheap. Still happy with it :)

Clammy

Reaction score
Assuming the ID tag on the back is original, that's an 80s JCM 800 cab.

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude: