The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
So have you tried the KT88's too.

Yeah, had quite a few in there. Sovteks, JJ, Shuguang and now these Ayons.

What seems to be the difference between the sx vs non-sx?

Of that series? I have no idea. What I do notice with these is more headroom, less compression. I like it, but it took me by surprise a bit. That's compared to the other KT88's I've had in there.

Also had 6L6GC's, 6CA7's, EL34's, KT66's, 6550's in there. I like the KT88's the best followed by the 'regular' EL34's.

IAE

Reaction score
Is that the SV20 schematic drawn by 'Hugh Jorgan'? While I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, let's agree there's room for error, there. :)
No, mines from Marshall. SV20 Schem…found on the forum. I don’t have a link, I just used search. 5 pages it is IIRC.
Eh, in this millenium, you mean?
lol, yes.

IAE

Reaction score
Yeah, had quite a few in there. Sovteks, JJ, Shuguang and now these Ayons.

Of that series? I have no idea. What I do notice with these is more headroom, less compression. I like it, but it took me by surprise a bit. That's compared to the other KT88's I've had in there.

Also had 6L6GC's, 6CA7's, EL34's, KT66's, 6550's in there. I like the KT88's the best followed by the 'regular' EL34's.
I quite like the Tung-Sol EL34B Russian tubes I have in mine. More bass than EL34. It’s definitely noticeable and immediately so.

Still, 6L6GC are my favorites but I haven’t tried them in it yet.

I use my SC clean for the most part but occasionally I use the amp gain on 10, high input, with a Shin-Juku OD in front.

Maniac Mike

Reaction score
I need tips for new tubeset, not TAD red base.
V1
V2&v3
Pair El 34´s

I run the amp at home with the settings below and Bugera PS1, with the band it might differ a bit.
P7
B10
M6
T6-8
Master 6-7
Pre-amp 10
Boost with SD-1, level almost full and gain 8-10 o´clock

Like sounds like whitesnake, def leppard, guns n roses etc.
Don´t like icepicks or muddy sound.

Any suggestions?

PelliX

Reaction score
I need tips for new tubeset, not TAD red base.
V1
V2&v3
Pair El 34´s

JJ or Russian ECC83's. No fancy "balanced" nonsense for the PI. I prefer bigger glass in the output, but a pair of JJ or Russian EL34's will be fine.

I run the amp at home with the settings below and Bugera PS1, with the band it might differ a bit.

The PS1 really sucks the tone out of any amp. I'd run it without an attenuator and use the MV at home, then turn it up further with the band. Some people say the SC20 needs the MV way up to sound good. I'd certainly say it's better with a low MV position and no PS1 than turned up with a PS1. Yes I have one as a dummy load on the bench.

Maniac Mike

Reaction score
JJ or Russian ECC83's. No fancy "balanced" nonsense for the PI. I prefer bigger glass in the output, but a pair of JJ or Russian EL34's will be fine.

The PS1 really sucks the tone out of any amp. I'd run it without an attenuator and use the MV at home, then turn it up further with the band. Some people say the SC20 needs the MV way up to sound good. I'd certainly say it's better with a low MV position and no PS1 than turned up with a PS1. Yes I have one as a dummy load on the bench.
Svetlana ?

PS1, yea but the amp opens up att about 6 on master and EQ for the sound I want, works att home for me, but I will try again and give it some tweaking....

PelliX

Reaction score

I was referring to any CP (current production) Russian valve. Effectively they're pretty much the same for the most part regardless of brand as they roll out of the same factory in Saratov. Those are sold as Mullard, Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Tung-Sol, Ruby, etc. JJ produce their own valves under that name and are AFAIK what is supplied in the Studio line from the factory (though re-branded as Marshall).

Latest posts