The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ditched my Mr. Scary hot mod! It's out and for sale.

I recently got my HG Plexi back up and running again, it had some bad tubes in it and since I retubed, wow, it's a fire breathing monster again!! It's kicking my SCs ass in the high gain department (like it should). Now I don't need to try to get that from my SC so I don't need the Mr Scary anymore. In fact, since I took it out I think it sounds MUCH better without it! It's like it's way more open and livelier, like the hot mod was actually holding it back. I can get the same gain with an OD, or stacking ODs, or an OD with a boost if I want to and I actually think it sounds better doing it that way, but my HG does it so much better. I almost feel like I got a whole new amp. :applause:

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok well, my JJ 6550s just took a dump. They weren't very old and even with my John H I still can't get my volume up much past 2 so I know I wasn't beating them up. Does anybody recommend (@solarburn ) anything other than JJ? I'd like to get a new set of 6550s, just not JJ.

Right now I'm back to the Psvane KT88s and they sound great, just not quite as good as the 6550s did before they didn't. I could just leave the KT88 in there and be happy, but I'd like to try some other 6550s as they aren't JJs.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well, my JJ 6550s just took a dump. They weren't very old and even with my John H I still can't get my volume up much past 2 so I know I wasn't beating them up. Does anybody recommend (@solarburn ) anything other than JJ? I'd like to get a new set of 6550s, just not JJ.

Right now I'm back to the Psvane KT88s and they sound great, just not quite as good as the 6550s did before they didn't. I could just leave the KT88 in there and be happy, but I'd like to try some other 6550s as they aren't JJs.
Yah I haven’t tried others yet. After reading reviews I think I’d try Tunsol or Svetlana. You know how I am though. If I really want to know, I just buy a pair and find out. :D

How old were your 6550’s? 2 or 3 months? Not many hours on them right?

Psvane has the Horizon 6550’s now. Don’t know anything about them.

For chitz & gigglez: hear any differences?

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I haven’t tried others yet. After reading reviews I think I’d try Tunsol or Svetlana. You know how I am though. If I really want to know, I just buy a pair and find out. :D

How old were your 6550’s? 2 or 3 months? Not many hours on them right?

Psvane has the Horizon 6550’s now. Don’t know anything about them.

For chitz & gigglez: hear any differences?

They weren't very old, but I don't remember exactly when I got them. Probably 4-6 months and mostly played less than an hour a day average.

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to be in any hurry, the KT88s are sounding pretty good. The last time I used them I had different speakers, they seem to like the Creambacks better. :thumb:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They weren't very old, but I don't remember exactly when I got them. Probably 4-6 months and mostly played less than an hour a day average.

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to be in any hurry, the KT88s are sounding pretty good. The last time I used them I had different speakers, they seem to like the Creambacks better. :thumb:
:eddie:

IAE

Reaction score
Does anyone have the service manual for the Studio Classic that they can PM me? (I’m not even sure if I can get PMs yet as my account is limited due to being a n00b here. Everything I post must be approved by mods for some reason or another)

I have the amp and so I’d like to have a copy of the service manual on hand but I’ve been unable to find it.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I’m using Tung-Sol EL34Bs in mine as they definitely offer more bass than the EL34s. I bought a whole bunch of tubes before the great tube shortage and price hike a couple of years ago.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

see if you have warranty...

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the service manual for the Studio Classic that they can PM me? (I’m not even sure if I can get PMs yet as my account is limited due to being a n00b here. Everything I post must be approved by mods for some reason or another)

I have the amp and so I’d like to have a copy of the service manual on hand but I’ve been unable to find it.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I’m using Tung-Sol EL34Bs in mine as they definitely offer more bass than the EL34s. I bought a whole bunch of tubes before the great tube shortage and price hike a couple of years ago.

I have the PDF, but can't send it to you here. PM me with an email address that can take a 7 MB attachment if you'd like me to email it to you.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Really appreciate it.

I can’t PM you as I don’t have that feature yet. (n00b status)

I’ll give you an email address I don’t use anymore but still have access to.

krasnayaarmiya (at) ymail.com

I’ll get it that way.
Are you sure? Hover your pointer over his user name under his avatar. You should see a button to "start a conversation".

I just sent you a test message to see if I can PM you.

IAE

Reaction score
Still looking for the SC20 Service Manual….TX didn’t have it after all.

Anyone have a copy, let me know.

Appreciate it.

IAE

Reaction score
I've never seen schematics for that one, that I can remember... there's one for the SV, but, that's a different monster...
Indeed, I have the amp portion schematic of that…minus fx loop etc. The 50watt JCM800 Schem works for most of it but not the fx loop and power switching, obviously.

I saw one guy on here has the SC full service manual but hasn’t visited in two years. I PMd him anyways.

Marshall should include it with the amp, like Fender does….a full schematic anyways.

If I do get a hold of it I’ll make it known on the forum that it’s available for all who want it. Naturally, I won’t reveal who gave it to me if they prefer that.

Edit: I just found the whole SV20 schematic posted on the forum here and so from that and a JCM800 schematic I can cobble together a SC20 schematic. Still, it falls short of the Marshall documents.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Edit: I just found the whole SV20 schematic posted on the forum here and so from that and a JCM800 schematic I can cobble together a SC20 schematic. Still, it falls short of the Marshall documents.

Is that the SV20 schematic drawn by 'Hugh Jorgan'? While I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, let's agree there's room for error, there. :)

Marshall should include it with the amp, like Fender does….a full schematic anyways.

Eh, in this millenium, you mean?