The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys like the Celestion Anni H30's, check out Mojotone's BVH30.

I just loaded it into the BB 212 next to the Gold and look the fuck out. Romper room for adults only. No kids allowed. Sorry.

Old school glory boyz. Im spent. What a release. This cab and 2 speakers have tonally blessed the 800. The tone and feel makes me want to strangle the fretboard. Ok, enuff after glow.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys like the Celestion Anni H30's, check out Mojotone's BVH30.

I just loaded it into the BB 212 next to the Gold and look the fuck out. Romper room for adults only. No kids allowed. Sorry.

Old school glory boyz. Im spent. What a release. This cab and 2 speakers have tonally blessed the 800. The tone and feel makes me want to strangle the fretboard. Ok, enuff after glow.
Hey Joe, have you ever counted all the speakers you own? :D

prado175

Reaction score
Hello guys!
What's the use of the Master Volume when using the FX LOOP in a 4 Cable Method Scenario??

To get good levels on my quad cortex, I need to turn the Master Volume to 8
And control the output on the quad cortex itself

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
What's the use of the Master Volume when using the FX LOOP in a 4 Cable Method Scenario??

To get good levels on my quad cortex, I need to turn the Master Volume to 8
And control the output on the quad cortex itself

Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with that method, maybe someone else is. I haven't even tried the FX loop yet.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I cant wait until all the major players get stocked back up on the SC20H, the used prices are still way too high here in the states. I think they would have to come down once amps start shipping. No one is going to be able to sell their used amp for $1300-$1500 when you can get a new one for $1299

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant wait until all the major players get stocked back up on the SC20H, the used prices are still way too high here in the states. I think they would have to come down once amps start shipping. No one is going to be able to sell their used amp for $1300-$1500 when you can get a new one for $1299
I bought mine last year for $900 barely used and I thought I stole it.

There's one on Reverb for $802.11 but they want $233 to ship it. Even with the shipping it's still cheaper than what most are going for, but I don't know about after they add the tax. There are deals to be had, you just to watch for them.

Last edited:

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I bought mine last year for $900 barely used and I thought I stole it.

There's one on Reverb for $802.11 but they want $233 to ship it. Even with the shipping it's still cheaper than what most are going for, but I don't know about after they add the tax. There are deals to be had, you just to watch for them.

That one is in Australia. I saw that and have been looking. All the sellers in the US are still too high and I can wait for a deal to show up here in the states. $1000 for a used one shipped from Australia is still not a deal when new ones will be available for $1300 in a month or two.

I actually when to look at one locally for sale for $1100, and I know he would take a little off. I got there about 15 min too late, lol...

PelliX

Reaction score

Mine was a returned open box deal for just under 800 euros from some east European country. Now that I've been using the amp for a few years, I wouldn't hesitate on dropping a K if I had to replace it. Of all the Marshalls I have, none get the hours that one does somehow.

Maniac Mike

Reaction score
I have SC20H and as of today two 2x12 cabs, one for home SV 2x12 with chinese G12 V-type speakers and one 1936v with UK speakers G12 Vintage for the band.

I use it at home with a bugera PS1 attenuator more or less maxed out for low volume.

amp settings

P 5

B 5-8

M 7

T 3

M 8

P-A 10

pushed with SD-1, level at 3 o clock and drive at 8 o clock, it is a bit scooped with creamy crunch for home use, not toooo much distortion.

With the same setting using the 1936V with only a drummer I cut the treble a bit with EQ in the loop.

The thing is that it produces much less distortion with the 1936V on full blast, it is great sound and I can add more distortion but my question is WHY is it such a big differens in distortion, is it because the amp running maxed out or might it be the different speaker cabs?

I didnt try the SV 2x12 on full volume.

Last edited:

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on one today at GC. I had a bit of guitar stuff I have collected over the years and started selling those items about 2 months ago. Saved the money and traded in the rest at GC today and my out the door price was just over $700 so that is good. Cleaned up the old gear I would never use again and new amp on the way.

Only issue is that it is on backorder and I wont get it until end of June to beginning of August. My DSL will get me by until then!

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you might recall, I have two Sc20's, a head and a combo. After reading comments here 6 or 8 months ago or so, I put a pair of KT66 tubes in the head. It's playable through both a 1x12 with a Greenback and a 2x12 with a Creamback and Greenback. I played it by itself and, more often, in stereo with the combo, which has a 10" Creamback. I recently switched it back to EL34's. For me, and I emphasize, for me, I prefer the EL34's.

I enjoyed the KT66, but my favorite Marshall circuit, which is my favorite amp, is the JCM800. And I like the EL34's in that circuit. Plus, I play my Marshall's with a Les Paul 98% of the time. It's my favorite combination of amp and guitar, and I just can't find anything I like better.

I also play single coils, and with those guitars I generally hook 'em up to a Fender circuit, of which I have several.

I don't know if all this makes me a traditionalist, or just a player with a lack of creativity.

(I had a few very nice matched pairs of KT66 in my inventory, and didn't have any KT88. And I decided against buying some KT88 to try.)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you might recall, I have two Sc20's, a head and a combo. After reading comments here 6 or 8 months ago or so, I put a pair of KT66 tubes in the head. It's playable through both a 1x12 with a Greenback and a 2x12 with a Creamback and Greenback. I played it by itself and, more often, in stereo with the combo, which has a 10" Creamback. I recently switched it back to EL34's. For me, and I emphasize, for me, I prefer the EL34's.

I enjoyed the KT66, but my favorite Marshall circuit, which is my favorite amp, is the JCM800. And I like the EL34's in that circuit. Plus, I play my Marshall's with a Les Paul 98% of the time. It's my favorite combination of amp and guitar, and I just can't find anything I like better.

I also play single coils, and with those guitars I generally hook 'em up to a Fender circuit, of which I have several.

I don't know if all this makes me a traditionalist, or just a player with a lack of creativity.

(I had a few very nice matched pairs of KT66 in my inventory, and didn't have any KT88. And I decided against buying some KT88 to try.)
I really like single coils in an 800 circuit, I’ll bump the preamp a bit with Fender single coils, from normally around 5, up to about 6. Probably an even smaller increase with P90s, I love P90s with an 800, pure R&R imo. I particularly like a slab mahogany body with P90s and a wraparound bridge, again, R&R heaven to my ears! :D

You have any P90 guitars Tex?

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot, I see you’re running a 2-12 with a Greenback and a Creamback, if I saw right.
I play my Sc20 through two 1-12 cabs, like you, with a Greenback and a Creamback, great sound, I guess you would agree! :D

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the KT88s again a couple of times since I switched to the 6550s, but they sound thinner and brighter compared to the 6550s. Maybe they're just lacking some mids that the 6550s provide making them seem brighter, I don't know but I'm gonna stick with the 6550s. I haven't tried any other tubes besides the el34s it comes with.

I'm now running my 212 cab with a pair of Creamback 65s and have no intentions of trying anything else. I really like them.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the KT88s again a couple of times since I switched to the 6550s, but they sound thinner and brighter compared to the 6550s. Maybe they're just lacking some mids that the 6550s provide making them seem brighter, I don't know but I'm gonna stick with the 6550s. I haven't tried any other tubes besides the el34s it comes with.

I'm now running my 212 cab with a pair of Creamback 65s and have no intentions of trying anything else. I really like them.
I haven’t tried 6550s, I was pricing them out last year but I never did anything. This stuff gets expensive, :(

I have a set of Kt88’s in my Sc20 now, and they’re definitely bigger sounding to my ears than both the 6ca7’s, and the two sets of el34’s I’ve had in there.

For sure the 6550’s are on my list next, when I get some extra scratch. :D

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven’t tried 6550s, I was pricing them out last year but I never did anything. This stuff gets expensive, :(

I have a set of Kt88’s in my Sc20 now, and they’re definitely bigger sounding to my ears than both the 6ca7’s, and the two sets of el34’s I’ve had in there.

For sure the 6550’s are on my list next, when I get some extra scratch. :D

To me the 6550s sound thicker/fuller than the KT88s. Even more so since I got my JohnH M2 and can crank up the MV a little more.

JJ 6550s seem to be the best deal out there, that's what I'm using.