The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, no V30 then. Fizzy is what I'm trying to get rid of. :yesway:

What you said a few pages ago when we were talking about this about the Heritage 65/H30 combo is why I looked into that speaker in the first place and you just reinforced it. That's why I bumped this thread instead of posting somewhere else. Plus the 65 is $130 less than a Alnico Blue. But man something about that Blue has caught my interest and I can't get it out of my head. The only thing is, if I buy it and don't end up liking it in the 212 it's only 15 watts by itself so I really can't use it anywhere else.

I looked at the redback, It's described as similar to a creamback. I thought it might have too much bass going on to pair with the H30 so I dismissed it.
The blue is a great speaker. I'm a fan of it with a Marshall. I also like the Heritage 65. Thing is I have these speakers and currently use them in different cabs. Both sound good with the H30. The blue will be more crunchy over the Heritage 65. Either would be a good mix with the H30. The 65 will have a smoother top end.

The Red back to me has less ass end then the H30. I also read dudes saying it has a big bottom. The 2 of mine didn't in my cabs including both in a 212. They good for soloing too. Definitely less fizz than V30. Only draw back is being a bit stiff as a 150 watt speaker.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I also put the 12AT7 back in my hot mod and turned the gain down a little both on the Mr scary and my amp gain. I thought it would clean up better rolling down the guitar volume and it does, but not very much unless I play with the tone knobs also, that's something I've never done before and it's been eye opening.

Everything's changed for me since I bought my 212 cab and then put that H30 in it. I'm putting PAF pickups in my guitars and getting away from the hot pickups I've been using for years and years. I'm getting every bit as much of the high gain tones I've always chased, but without as much gain and somehow it's better, it's livelier and clearer, still aggressive, punchy and tight. Now with the Blue in there it took out the fizz and added a really nice upper mid growl and has a certain "something I can't describe yet" that I've never had before. It's crazy good!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also put the 12AT7 back in my hot mod and turned the gain down a little both on the Mr scary and my amp gain. I thought it would clean up better rolling down the guitar volume and it does, but not very much unless I play with the tone knobs also, that's something I've never done before and it's been eye opening.

Everything's changed for me since I bought my 212 cab and then put that H30 in it. I'm putting PAF pickups in my guitars and getting away from the hot pickups I've been using for years and years. I'm getting every bit as much of the high gain tones I've always chased, but without as much gain and somehow it's better, it's livelier and clearer, still aggressive, punchy and tight. Now with the Blue in there it took out the fizz and added a really nice upper mid growl and has a certain "something I can't describe yet" that I've never had before. It's crazy good!
Im stoked its all coming together now. H30's love to be romped with a Marshall. Not many use a Blue with a Marshall. The ones that do? Know. Of course the speaker being costly, low wattage, i can can see many take a pass or think they're a speaker for Vox's.

Exciting chit man! Enjoy the fruits of your labor. :eddie:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You e come a long way @DirtySteve from just your 1-10 sc20 combo,… btw, did you sell that amp?

It's been a fun journey and I've really learned a lot. Yes, I sold my combo. The head/212 cab set up is 10x better, I don't have to fight my amp anymore.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a fun journey and I've really learned a lot. Yes, I sold my combo. The head/212 cab set up is 10x better, I don't have to fight my amp anymore.
I have the head (SC20H) connected to a 2x12 also. But I kept my combo (SC20C) as well. I enjoy playing in stereo at home. I have stereo modulation pedals, and having the 1x10 combo for reverb and/or delay trails and such is such a fun effect, for me.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the 12AX7 back in the first position in my Mr. Scary. The 12AT7 does clean up better with the guitar volume, but not all that much to me and it comes at a cost. The 12ax7 sounds much better for rocking out. I thought the AT gave the gain a weird sound that I don't like.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the 12AX7 back in the first position in my Mr. Scary. The 12AT7 does clean up better with the guitar volume, but not all that much to me and it comes at a cost. The 12ax7 sounds much better for rocking out. I thought the AT gave the gain a weird sound that I don't like.
Well that's what you do. Test it out see what YOU like best.

The only AT7 i like in my LM is the RFT. There's no magic other than its a darker really round sounding low gain tube. I didn't care for my JAN or JJ versions.

The AY7 sounded weird and I usually like those. They clean up quickly too but Im not having any trouble rolling back for cleans even with an AX7.

Maniac Mike

Reaction score
Giving back info!

I have SC20H and as of today two 2x12 cabs, one for home SV 2x12 with chinese G12 V-type speakers and one 1936v with UK speakers G12 Vintage for the band.
I only used both at home so far with a bugera PS1 more or less maxed out for low volume.

amp settings
P 3
B 5-8
M 3
T 1
M 7
P-A 7

pushed with SD-1 at level 2 o clock and drive at 8 o clock, it is a bit scooped for home use.

At this setting the 1936V has tighter and more bass, mids and highs BUT if I dont angle the speaker up and the mids and hight are at floor level, then both sounds about the same even if the 1936 is slightly louder. 1936V is clearly tighter and more bass is evident.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Giving back info!

I have SC20H and as of today two 2x12 cabs, one for home SV 2x12 with chinese G12 V-type speakers and one 1936v with UK speakers G12 Vintage for the band.
I only used both at home so far with a bugera PS1 more or less maxed out for low volume.

amp settings
P 3
B 5-8
M 3
T 1
M 7
P-A 7

pushed with SD-1 at level 2 o clock and drive at 8 o clock, it is a bit scooped for home use.

At this setting the 1936V has tighter and more bass, mids and highs BUT if I dont angle the speaker up and the mids and hight are at floor level, then both sounds about the same even if the 1936 is slightly louder. 1936V is clearly tighter and more bass is evident.

Welcome to the forum!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out for a drive today and ended up in Bristol TN when I happened to pass a music store so I went in to check it out. They had all the Studio amps and matching 212 cabs. It's the first time I've seen any of these amps out in the wild and they had them all! I was tempted but I held off on trying the other amps because I was afraid I would want one :lol: but I do plan to go back and check them out. I'm curious about the SV and now I have a chance to try one.

What I did try was the SC212 cab with the SC20h. Of course it was stock and I'm running 6550s and a Mr Scary so it wasn't my set up, but I have played my amp stock before I made any changes so I think I could tell enough. I could tell enough to know that I wasn't very impressed with the sound of the cab compared to my MX212 cab and I know now that I don't care much for the V-Types.

I expected to see something to indicate much better quality, but from what I could tell the SC212 and the MX212 are exactly the same cab except for the Ply vs MHD and the speakers. Someone way back said something about the tolex being better on the SC cab, but I can't tell the difference. It still has the plastic jack plate, corners and handles and everything just like the MX cab. I'm glad I went with the MX cab. I sure don't see anything to justify $600 more for the SC cab.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Do those JHS little black box things work with the SC?

I thought I was having a John H built for me. I don't even know if I need it for my SC really, but I wanted to try it and especially I wanted to try it with my HG plexi. I first discussed it with "the builder" back in early November and it was all set up and it was going to take 2 or 3 weeks. Then around the first of the year I think I gave him a call and he said it was still in the works but was going to take a little longer. Well here it is the middle of March and I haven't heard a peep so at this point I'm very disappointed and I don't even care anymore. I'm going to tell him not to worry about it since obviously he's not.

I'm just wondering if anyone is using a LBB and it is does what it says it does. I know at least one forum bro that swears by it with his SV. My thinking is, if I can at least see if I like the amp attenuated then I might look into buying a John H kit. I hear I can buy a kit and that would interest me way more than having to source all the parts for myself, I wasn't even going to try and that's really the only reason I haven't built one. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if it's even something I could use before I spend any money on it.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought I was having a John H built for me. I don't even know if I need it for my SC really, but I wanted to try it and especially I wanted to try it with my HG plexi. I first discussed it with "the builder" back in early November and it was all set up and it was going to take 2 or 3 weeks. Then around the first of the year I think I gave him a call and he said it was still in the works but was going to take a little longer. Well here it is the middle of March and I haven't heard a peep so at this point I'm very disappointed and I don't even care anymore. I'm going to tell him not to worry about it since obviously he's not.

I'm just wondering if anyone is using a LBB and it is does what it says it does. I know at least one forum bro that swears by it with his SV. My thinking is, if I can at least see if I like the amp attenuated then I might look into buying a John H kit. I hear I can buy a kit and that would interest me way more than having to source all the parts for myself, I wasn't even going to try and that's really the only reason I haven't built one. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if it's even something I could use before I spend any money on it.
The LBB is not an attenuator, and the Jhs bb is really just another master volume, they go in the loop. An attenuator is installed between the amp and the speaker, and works completely different.

With a attenuator, you turn up the amps master and the power section is being pushed. The attenuator between the amp and the speaker is virtually lessening the volume you’ll be hearing.

There are different ways that different attenuators use to achieve that. The bottom line is you can crank your master volume and not shatter your windows or having the cops knocking at your door.

You get the benefit of the master volume breakup without the blistering volume. For me, my favorite tones in a 2203 circuit, (Sc20), is blending both the master and preamp volumes.

I enjoy those tones just as much, maybe more, than the the master low and the preamp higher. I use an attenuator to get there in my 14 x 13 music room.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dirty, ive had one of these little master volume boxes for years. There is one thing i appreciate about it. Convenience.

When i use it with my my 4 holer, I set both volumes on the amp where i want them for proper mix. I set the lil volume box placed in loop, on top of the amp head in easy reach. There I can adjust over all amp volume with one dial(pot)as opposed to adjusting both amp volumes(2 pots)for quieter/louder volume.

So I can set the amp for full throttle, titty bouncing volume, or reign the volume in with one pot sitting on top of my amp head. I found it very useful for doing that. As a master volume for a 2 volume amp that mixes for its sound/gain.

I only spent $20 on mine years ago on ebay.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have found this to be a "hot topic" on here. Some people love the LBB to control volume and other people can't stand it. I think it's something you'd really have to try for yourself.

BTW, I'm in the camp that didn't like using a LBB. My LBB is in a drawer. I have a JohnH that I can share with all of my 4 Marshall's if I choose to. I generally don't with the SC20's, but have occasionally.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I got sidetracked and forgot to come back to this, thanks. I might try one just for shits and grins, they don't cost that much, but it's certainly not a priority.

If anyone is keeping up with my speaker journey, I've bought a Creamback 65 now. I don't remember who was talking about it before, but you were right, it's great with the SC. I had a Alnico Blue paired with the H30 Anni and it was good for everything up to hard rock, but after a while I wasn't getting the metal tones I needed with it. So I bought the Creamback and tried it first by itself in my 112 and really liked it, but not as much as I like the Vet 30 in my 112. Then I put it in my 212 with the H30 and it's been game on! I don't know how to describe what it did, but it's just what I was looking for. I've been playing it like that for days now and liking it more and more. I think it's going to be a keeper, but I'm not saying anything definite yet, tired of eating my words. :)

I put the Blue in my 10 watt GR Harvard clone combo and it's probably going to stay there. I had that back up plan before I ever ordered it.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have found this to be a "hot topic" on here. Some people love the LBB to control volume and other people can't stand it. I think it's something you'd really have to try for yourself.

BTW, I'm in the camp that didn't like using a LBB. My LBB is in a drawer. I have a JohnH that I can share with all of my 4 Marshall's if I choose to. I generally don't with the SC20's, but have occasionally.
It is essentially a master volume which might help tame the level of a NMV but won't allow for power saturation at lower levels.
Seems absolutely pointless. Put an EQ in the loop and set it lower plus you get advantage of EQ? Volume pedal? Anyhting really with a level control.
Pointless for a MV amp.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
It is essentially a master volume which might help tame the level of a NMV but won't allow for power saturation at lower levels.
Seems absolutely pointless. Put an EQ in the loop and set it lower plus you get advantage of EQ? Volume pedal? Anyhting really with a level control.
Pointless for a MV amp.

I have a couple of eqs, but I never really got along with an eq. The SC is my first time having a loop, but when I had my combo it had some serious noise issues with pedals both out front and in the loop, my head doesn't have those issues, but I haven't even tried the loop on it yet. Now that "I think" my speakers are sorted out I'm going to be trying the loop soon. I just ordered a couple of nice cables to use for it and I already got new patch cables. I have reverb, delay and a couple of eqs to try in it.