The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah every now and then I throw different power tubes in mine. There is something great about the JJ 6550’s I just have to have when I’m romping. Other power tubes sound good too. Just different from my beloved fatties.

I just got a Fane 70 in. Gonna try it with the BVH30. Taking the Gold out. See what I get. If it does what I want it to, I’ll get another for a pair. The Mojotone H30 sounds great though. Decisions. :hmm:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah every now and then I throw different power tubes in mine. There is something great about the JJ 6550’s I just have to have when I’m romping. Other power tubes sound good too. Just different from my beloved fatties.

I just got a Fane 70 in. Gonna try it with the BVH30. Taking the Gold out. See what I get. If it does what I want it to, I’ll get another for a pair. The Mojotone H30 sounds great though. Decisions. :hmm:
The JJ 6550’s seem to be more affordable than the others. Ruby’s Tubes has them for $115 for a matched pair!

Damn, that’s tempting,…

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ make the best sounding EL34's for that amp, same for KT88's. Haven't compared different 6550's, but it stands to reason they won't disappoint. :shrug:
When I was looking for Kt88’s I was flying blind, I went with a set of Psvane Kt88c, for no other reason than price really. I have no idea what the C stands for, but they sound really good,… of course I’m comparing them to El34’s, (6ca7), not other Kt88’s, sooo,…

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
JJ make the best sounding EL34's for that amp, same for KT88's. Haven't compared different 6550's, but it stands to reason they won't disappoint. :shrug:
Now I'm curious if the JJ KT88s might sound better/different than the Psvane. Not that I plan to try them, just curious. I've always been happy with JJ power tubes, but went with the Psvane KT88s because the price was good. I never even looked anywhere else.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I used my effects loop for the first time tonight. It's noisy. Just having a pedal in the loop it makes a hissing noise and when playing it's even noisier. If I just put a patch cord in the loop it's dead quiet. Why would it only be noisy if a pedal is in the loop. I tried a delay and a reverb pedal separately.

PelliX

Reaction score
Now I'm curious if the JJ KT88s might sound better/different than the Psvane. Not that I plan to try them, just curious. I've always been happy with JJ power tubes, but went with the Psvane KT88s because the price was good. I never even looked anywhere else.

I don't have Psvane's but I do have Shuguang and Sovtek, Genalex KT88's; the JJ's beat them all in my book in that amp. That said, the differences aren't massive and with my sample sizes it might just be pot luck.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really liking the Fane 70/Mojotone BVH30 mix. The Fane 70 is a real interesting and great sounding speaker. I’ll give it the “beans” for awhile before gushing over it. The crunch through it is real nice.

Already consider it a win with the SC. It’s different but in a great way. Feel and sound. Ok more later.

My fun level continues to stay high with the SC as a result of all these tuning escapades we all share here. Great thread!

I’m buying more Fanes. :D

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ate too much pizza! Belch!!!

Welp. I did get a pair of Fane 70's(New)and stuffed them into my Fender Bassbreaker 212. Which is my designated Marshall SC800H cab.

They're fucking rediculous. :drool:

Now for useful information. Ive never had speakers react as much to amp EQ changes. They reflect little knob bumps like decreasing or increasing treble. Whatever tonestack adjustment made.

They sound great with this Marshall. From low gain to high gain. Great lows, present mids, and topend is NOT pokey. EQ'ing these ear horns where you need them has been too easy. What really shines for me is their speaker projection while soloing. Jumps right out in front where you want it. Articulate or great note separation. I hear everything i grab and pick. Very pleased.

Shout out to Avatar speakers and cabs in Idaho. They stock Fane speakers so i dont have to buy from across the pond and pay duty taxes, extra shipping costs.

I've used Greenbacks(EVH/BV25), V30's, Anni H30's/BVH30's, Alnico Gold/Blue/Cream 90, Heritage 65's, EVM12L ZW Black Label, Jensen Falcon, GB128's with the SC800. And then combinations of these with each other as well. I was always able to get great sounds with them all. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Gained a wealth of knowledge while spending a wealth of money.

For now its the newer Fane 70's that tickle my pickle. My Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod FR Chameleon, Archer Jeff Beck OD(here & there)Shure wireless, SC800H with Legendary Tones Lynch Mod loaded with 6550's. Proper Marshall accoutrements.:D

Ballz rattled. Face bitch slapped.:eddie:

abkeller1

Reaction score
Get the Hot Mod V2. It will turn this little amp into a beast. It has as much gain as my 900 SL-X now on the regular gain mode, then toggle to the ultra gain it's insane. Great product.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I ate too much pizza! Belch!!!

Welp. I did get a pair of Fane 70's(New)and stuffed them into my Fender Bassbreaker 212. Which is my designated Marshall SC800H cab.

They're fucking rediculous. :drool:

Now for useful information. Ive never had speakers react as much to amp EQ changes. They reflect little knob bumps like decreasing or increasing treble. Whatever tonestack adjustment made.

They sound great with this Marshall. From low gain to high gain. Great lows, present mids, and topend is NOT pokey. EQ'ing these ear horns where you need them has been too easy. What really shines for me is their speaker projection while soloing. Jumps right out in front where you want it. Articulate or great note separation. I hear everything i grab and pick. Very pleased.

Shout out to Avatar speakers and cabs in Idaho. They stock Fane speakers so i dont have to buy from across the pond and pay duty taxes, extra shipping costs.

I've used Greenbacks(EVH/BV25), V30's, Anni H30's/BVH30's, Alnico Gold/Blue/Cream 90, Heritage 65's, EVM12L ZW Black Label, Jensen Falcon, GB128's with the SC800. And then combinations of these with each other as well. I was always able to get great sounds with them all. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Gained a wealth of knowledge while spending a wealth of money.

For now its the newer Fane 70's that tickle my pickle. My Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod FR Chameleon, Archer Jeff Beck OD(here & there)Shure wireless, SC800H with Legendary Tones Lynch Mod loaded with 6550's. Proper Marshall accoutrements.:D

Ballz rattled. Face bitch slapped.:eddie:

:lalala:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the Hot Mod V2. It will turn this little amp into a beast. It has as much gain as my 900 SL-X now on the regular gain mode, then toggle to the ultra gain it's insane. Great product.

Yes it is! I think most of us already use one. I have the Mr. Scary and can't imagine being without it.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a few of us already Mr Scarified our SC's or other amps. We concur.

Last edited:

Keysdweller

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my next-door neighbors to leave this summer. They used to leave for extended times on a regular basis but haven't done so this year. I get to crank it at my drummer's house, but it would be nice to do it here. I plan on moving later this year to a place where I can exercise all my equipment again like I could at my previous place.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Just want to check my SC20 is behaving normally. I don’t really get any breakup until past noon on the pre-amp.
What are the MV, guitar, and pickups are you using. I'm using a LP dual HB and I get plenty of gain before half, but it really kicks in with master 2-3+ and gain over 5. This thing also clears up nicely with guitar volume around 5 or less.

I assume you are on High Input and YMMV

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just want to check my SC20 is behaving normally. I don’t really get any breakup until past noon on the pre-amp.
I have a V2 hot mod in mine so it's got more gain, but I'm thinking there should be some breakup before noon unless you're plugged into the low input.