Deaf Mans Thread.. Welcome Non-Master Volume Owners

• Thread starter BluesRocker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Shuguang preamp tubes by chance?

Nope.. I put some NOS in there.. The power tubes are factory.. I was gonna put in EH 6CA7s but it wouldnt bias right.. The lowest it would go was 51mA. And that was the pot on 0. The 34's biased in fine.

Frankie

Reaction score
Weird, mine doesn't break up real good until about half on the volume. What kinda pickups are you pushing into it?

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Weird, mine doesn't break up real good until about half on the volume. What kinda pickups are you pushing into it?

Using my Gibson Les Paul with Dimarzios. Eric Johnson Custom in the neck, and a 36th Anniv. PAF in the bridge.. They are both low output pups.. And are setting quite low.

Frankie

Reaction score
Maybe the reissue is just more aggressive? Mine's not hot like that at all, on 3 it's loud and clear.

Frankie

Reaction score
Yeah, I gotta be in that 5-6 range for that. I usually play it out on 7, and it's overdriven, but not that overdriven.

This is the only video I have of it live, so I apologize for the sound quality, but I got that amp on 7 and kicked with a TS-808 when I play lead. It's really still not that driven.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM3VEaOB9zw]YouTube - Love Haunts Me[/ame]

P.S. - Check out that guitar I'm playing! :D

Edit - You can hear the lead a little better at the end.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Yeah.. I can get good AC/DC crunch on 3.

Well, it might have been modded then?! Usually 1959's don't get AC/DC style crunch on 3 yet. That should be around 5. 4/4.5 for a reissue maybe if they break up earlier as Frankie said. I haven't played a reissue yet.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
You're definitely right, both would be heavenly! I actually haven't spent much time with the 1959, but I've spent a fair amount of time with 1987. I know I like the 50-watter, and I felt it was plenty, but I'm thinking I need get more familiar with the 59; I realize they have different characteristics, and so that should be what I base my decision on. I do know that nearly all the music I love to listen to and play was done mostly on 59's. Hmmm... now you've got me reconsidering.

The cool thing is that they're only a couple hundred $$'s different on the used market.

I like the 100w because I play in a band and very loud.......I have always played 100w Marshall in all the bands I have played in over the years.......but the 50w breaks up earlier and I love that sound to but the 100w has the headroom that I love. :dude:

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Let me record you all a clip of it on 2. And see what u think. Channels jumped too.

Frankie

Reaction score
Yeah, as you can hear, the 50 watter gets a bit buried in my mix. It didn't help that my boy was standing house right in front of Pop's 800 stack either, he was under the FOH mains since they were overhead. :D

The Plexi sounds so good it's just for recording now. I got a 2203 and a DSL 100 for my live sound, they do it a little better, but not quite as sweetly.

Frankie

Reaction score
You're getting jammed by the bright cap, sir. Stock values are a little large, so they let all kinda mess through. I like mine best with a 250pf, that's it. You could clip it all the way out too, but then the amp loses it's sparkle and cut... sounds like a modeled Marshall.

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Yeah.. I have it popped open right now.. Everything seems to be right.. Doesnt look like any mods have been done

BluesRocker

Reaction score
You're getting jammed by the bright cap, sir. Stock values are a little large, so they let all kinda mess through. I like mine best with a 250pf, that's it. You could clip it all the way out too, but then the amp loses it's sparkle and cut... sounds like a modeled Marshall.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Frankie

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a bit more?

The bright cap is a signal bandpass that runs across the volume 1 pot, so regardless of where you have it set, it lets certain frequencies pass through at full volume. The bigger the value, the more/lower frequencies it lets through. I don't know what value they use stock, but it sounds big. My Plexi build sounded like that too when I first put it together using (I think) a 750pf cap. It was brutalizingly trebly like that. I tried it with no cap, it was fat, but I couldn't cut the mix and it lost it's character, so I threw in a 250pf cap. I'm happy as hell with the tone now!

BluesRocker

Reaction score
The bright cap is a signal bandpass that runs across the volume 1 pot, so regardless of where you have it set, it lets certain frequencies pass through at full volume. The bigger the value, the more/lower frequencies it lets through. I don't know what value they use stock, but it sounds big. My Plexi build sounded like that too when I first put it together using (I think) a 750pf cap. It was brutalizingly trebly like that. I tried it with no cap, it was fat, but I couldn't cut the mix and it lost it's character, so I threw in a 250pf cap. I'm happy as hell with the tone now!

So your saying the bright cap needs to be changed? Will that help with the volume difference?

BluesRocker

Reaction score
And can you tell me where to locate it.. Or is it one of the big bastards on top?
guitarroom019.jpg

guitarroom018.jpg

guitarroom017.jpg

Latest posts