Did Jimmy Page Steal This Song from Jake Holmes?!

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crusader

Reaction score
Yeah Zep introduced me to the Blues too and that lead to AC/DC etc etc

I find all this ripping-off very interesting. For example I always wondered if AC/DC had some kind of permission to use the lyrics "You Shook Me All Night Long" which are in the Zep song "You Shook Me"

When I looked it up I found out that Zep put it on their album without the song writer's permission and were sued big time!

Here's another thing I noticed recently. The riff for AC/DC's "Rock n Roll Damnation" sounds VERY similar to Slade's "Mama We're All Crazy Now"

crusader

Reaction score
Here may as well chuck it on

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPulu85q04]YouTube - Slade - Mama weer all crazee now[/ame]

Btw love those boots? I used to actually wear things like that !!!

TubeStack

Reaction score
This is old news, has been written about in many Zep books.

Par

Reaction score
This is, as 'TubeStack' points out, pretty well known, including some pretty high profile court actions, and some substantial settlement payments. Willie Dixon in particular won a substantial settlement from Page and Co, which included retroactive accreditation on all previous recordings and some decent loot and royalties. It is also not unique to Zeppelin. Elvis was steal'n songs way before Jimmie ever came along, and Paul Simon has been lifting music from the third world for his entire recorded life. On the other hand, people like Muddy Waters and Howl'n Wolf began whole new careers because of this stuff.

Slade?... now that's a high school flashback issue... *L*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4bF-_37be8]YouTube - Slade alive[/ame]

plankbadger

Reaction score
This is news to me. Any thoughts from some of you in the know?

Dazed and Confused was written by the folk-rock singer Jake Holmes and released as a track in his debut album "The Above Ground Sound" Of Jake Holmes in 1967. That same year Jake Holmes opened for The Yardbirds in a show in New York where Jimmy Page heard the song. The song was rearranged and later became one of Led Zeppelin best-known songs, the debt to Jake Holmes however went largely unacknowledged by the band.

YouTube - Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused

He robbed loads of stuff. There was a free CD with a rock magazine in the UK
years ago called something like 'The Roots of Led Zepellin', it was basically
a catalogue of songs they'd plundered.
Regarding the Taurus/Spirit ripoff, he saw Spirit live and allegedly asked Randy California if he
could use the opening riff. Stupidly he said yes probably not realising the royalties he was missing
out on.

Unknown3

Reaction score
Yeah Zep introduced me to the Blues too and that lead to AC/DC etc etc

I find all this ripping-off very interesting. For example I always wondered if AC/DC had some kind of permission to use the lyrics "You Shook Me All Night Long" which are in the Zep song "You Shook Me"

When I looked it up I found out that Zep put it on their album without the song writer's permission and were sued big time!

Here's another thing I noticed recently. The riff for AC/DC's "Rock n Roll Damnation" sounds VERY similar to Slade's "Mama We're All Crazy Now"

I started listening to metal. Then heavier metal. Then came prog metal and fusion, followed by progressive rock, and yesterday I was introduced to Gary Moore. Go figure.

Slade's song sounds waaay similar to AC/DC's... whoa. I think I've heard Mama We're All Crazy Now before...