Digitech RP1000 - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cptnkrunch

New Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
520
Reaction score
3
That sounds like a killer setup Josh. I'm not liking the cubase much either and still having driver issues. Any issues with Audacity? Are you running the RP direct via usb?

joshuaaewallen

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
24
Location
The Dark Side Of The Moon
That sounds like a killer setup Josh. I'm not liking the cubase much either and still having driver issues. Any issues with Audacity? Are you running the RP direct via usb?

Yeah, I'm about ready to call it a battle lost when it comes to Cubase. It is a bloody nightmare to do anything with. Some of the other forum folks have recommended Audacity also, and since I already had it I figure I'll run w/ that (I've used it for years, but never before for multi-track, effects, in depth type stuff, mainly just for editing audio books or radio recordings, or cassettes & vinyl so in that regard it's sorta new to me too). I'm slowly, but surely, learning that Audacity can actually do a whole lotta crap, and I can tell you for sure that the interface is infinitely more user friendly. And no driver issues!!! :)

So far I've been running the RP into the pc via USB for patch editing, but I have used the headphone out on the RP, or the line out on my Marshall into the sound card to capture the audio. Can you get audio from the RP to the PC using just the USB?

cptnkrunch

New Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
520
Reaction score
3
So far I've been running the RP into the pc via USB for patch editing, but I have used the headphone out on the RP, or the line out on my Marshall into the sound card to capture the audio. Can you get audio from the RP to the PC using just the USB?
Yes but this is where I'm having driver issues. I can see the line level meter working on cubase but not getting monitoring thru pc speakers. I'm sure it's something simple, just haven't had time to figure it out. Cubase is not the most user friendly recording program, at least for rookies like me.

joshuaaewallen

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
24
Location
The Dark Side Of The Moon
I don't have time right now, gotta get in the shower and then out the door, but later I will plug in and see exactly who, what, when, where, why, and how, I went about changing this... Worst case, 1/8" stereo cable from the RP to the computer...

MartyStrat54

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
26,014
Reaction score
9,638
Location
Licksville
JOSH-You've posted a sheet load of info here my man. I thought I posted on this thread? Must have been the Def Leppard thread instead.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm sure there will be more to come that will find it useful.

joshuaaewallen

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
24
Location
The Dark Side Of The Moon
JOSH-You've posted a sheet load of info here my man. I thought I posted on this thread? Must have been the Def Leppard thread instead.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm sure there will be more to come
that will find it useful.

Thanks Marty. Good to hear from ya. Seems like it's been a while (even though I have been following all your posts over at the preamp thread). You have definitely been a busy guy.

Hey... I'll bet your new lovely ladies would sound absolutely killer in stereo. Have you thought about having a go at that?

MartyStrat54

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
26,014
Reaction score
9,638
Location
Licksville
God that would be scary. I haven't put much flying time in on a full stack. I might want to go around the neighborhood warning people.

"Ah, an atomic blast is about to occur." "Please stay in your home's and do not call law enforcement."

beammeupwelshy

New Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
57
Reaction score
2
I just got hold of an RP1000 recently and run it through an AVT275 with the FX loop Moded to serial.

I used to have a Zoom GFX8 which wouldn't work to well in the 4cable method as the Pre- amp was none bypassable in it, so the Amp tone suffered a fair bit.

Before i bought the RP1000 i did a bit of searching around and found that only this and the G system, seem to be the main units around offering a specific Pre-amp loop. I had concidered the G system but its pricey and also I don't think it has distortion (i coudl be wrong about that though). I know the boss and other stuff can do it, but their loops are not listed as specifically for this role, i noticed on the specs for the RP1000 loop that it matches the correct impedance's and levels with what each i/o is expecting to see. Don't know for sure but don't think that's how the Boss and new Zoom work.

Anyway I got the RP1000 which I really love now, it works mint and the pedal board mode is brilliant, i can't go back to using single patches anymore after playing this way.

I pretty much dont like "digital stuff that's supposed to model real stuff" but some of the stuff on this this is really good, like the crybaby wah is awsome, I got rid of my real one cos i didn't need it anymore. The Distortion stomp box models are also really good, I use the boss OD1 model to add Over Drive for that Zak Wylde tone, and shit it sounds pretty dam good.

My only gripe is that It doesn't appear possible to use a foot switch to knock off the internal preamp/cabnet module, and this info isn't stored as a patch its a global setting. You can turn the amp loop on and off with a switch but that's not much good without turning the internal pre-amp on and off as well. Its like they totally built the Thrust SSC and then put wooden wheels on it. WTF.

Thankfully for me, I seldom would actually use the internal amp as mostly I just like my amp sound, but it pisses me off that i have to lean down and press two buttons to make this happen, not exactly seamless.

Anyway I love this thing now and hope maybe digitech can put out a firmware upgrade one of these days that will allow this option.

joshuaaewallen

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
24
Location
The Dark Side Of The Moon
... My only gripe is that It doesn't appear possible to use a foot switch to knock off the internal preamp/cabnet module, and this info isn't stored as a patch its a global setting. You can turn the amp loop on and off with a switch but that's not much good without turning the internal pre-amp on and off as well. Its like they totally built the Thrust SSC and then put wooden wheels on it. WTF.

Thankfully for me, I seldom would actually use the internal amp as mostly I just like my amp sound, but it pisses me off that i have to lean down and press two buttons to make this happen, not exactly seamless.

Anyway I love this thing now and hope maybe digitech can put out a firmware upgrade one of these days that will allow this option...

Ya know... I noticed that too. In pedal board mode. But... (my guitar's in the shop right now, and I'm not at home to verify my sad excuse for a memory)... I believe that in preset mode this is part of the programmable patch. In fact, I'm sure it is, because I was running through my amp for all of my distortion, but for at least three of my old patches I was using the RP1000's modeling for my clean tones...

I love this thing, but there are really so many options that I often have trouble deciding exactly how I want to run it.

I'd offer to share, but I forgot to back up my programmed patches before I restored to factory defaults last time, but... Do you have any patches you'd like to share w/ the rest of us here in forum-land?

beammeupwelshy

New Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
57
Reaction score
2
Ah, thats interesting. I got so into the pedal board mode i've hardly used the patch mode. Maybe i could start at patch 21 or somthing and make patches 21 and above all patches for use in patch mode.

I totally hear you, with the options it does make it hard to know what the best way to use it is. So far in pedal board board mode i use the first 5 patches i made and that just about covers what i mostly need. I use it in the 4 cable method and so far have mostly ignored the amp models. I did play with the VOX AC15 Model for a bit, that sounded quite nice, the clean channel on my AVT275 is a bit dull for some things.

I can put my patches up though i don't have many and there nothing special.

I set it up as follows.

Zak wyld patch - Has the boss OD1 model and pre amp loop chrous. With a bit of wah I can sound just like Zak wyld wish i could play like him. ha ha. I think i will get hold of a stop pedal for the OD one of these days just to see if theres much of a difference.

No Quarter patch - has a phase setting which sounds a bit like the organ from No Quarter by zeppelin, also delay which sounds like the slow quiet chords in the Tool Version as long as you tap out the tempo.

Rotovibe - mainly setup to get some nice old school clean sounds

Rage - Tom Morello patch, has the digitech whammy on the pedal with a slap back delay for his helicopter style Delay, made the eq drop the highs and lows for that telephone sound he sometimes uses.

Tremlo - setup a tremlo pedal with some delay and reverbs

So far I havn't played with it enough to know what I'm missing yet, but no doubt I will keep making more and then order them in order of most useful i guess.

beammeupwelshy

New Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
57
Reaction score
2
The Blank patch is just what i used to load all of my user presets to a "blank" unity gain patch ready for tweaking.

All the preset patches were set to "patch level 40" so i just set mine all up like that as well? Seemed like the thing to do. I then set up the master volume so that the level going into the marshall power amp is the same as when the unit is bypassed.

Cheers.

Attachments

  • DSC03966.jpg
    DSC03966.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 18
  • RP1000.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 26

newwt

New Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
West Valley, New York
OK, lots of info here for the RP1000. I have the 500 and love it, all my other pedals were ruined in a flood last Aug. and I went with the 500 because of the cost, (over $1000 of pedals=$325 insurence money, but its better than nothing)
Two questions:
1) Due patches for the 1000 work with the 500?

2) Have you got the Cubase figured out yet? If not i've got it up and running and its pretty cool, you could always PM me and we could get it up and running if ya want.
Newwt, aka Dave

joshuaaewallen

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
24
Location
The Dark Side Of The Moon
The Blank patch is just what i used to load all of my user presets to a "blank" unity gain patch ready for tweaking.

All the preset patches were set to "patch level 40" so i just set mine all up like that as well? Seemed like the thing to do. I then set up the master volume so that the level going into the marshall power amp is the same as when the unit is bypassed.

Cheers.

That's a nice usable rig you've got there mate. Granted the AVT may not be all tube, but I've found them to be very underrated amps. I like them. And coupled with that RP1000, you've got a pretty nice rig there w/out selling your soul to the devil.

I always seem to struggle with finding that "unity" volume & gain with amp. I get there, but it always seems to take me hours to get it just right. I say if a patch level of 40 gets you there... Run with it. Shoot, I may have a go at it as well...

OK, lots of info here for the RP1000. I have the 500 and love it, all my other pedals were ruined in a flood last Aug. and I went with the 500 because of the cost, (over $1000 of pedals=$325 insurence money, but its better than nothing)
Two questions:
1) Due patches for the 1000 work with the 500?

2) Have you got the Cubase figured out yet? If not i've got it up and running and its pretty cool, you could always PM me and we could

get it up and running if ya want.
Newwt, aka Dave

Hey Dave. Welcome to the dark side! ;)

1) I'm not sure about the 500 vs. 1000 patches... I should email Digitech and ask. Personally I would think it not up be that much of a problem. I mean the two pedals really aren't that different, the RP1000 just had more inputs, outputs, and options available directly from the pedal... We should look into that...

2) Cubase... Umm... Do I have to admit that I got irritated and gave up? I already had a wee bit more familiarity with Audacity, and... Well I got into more of a playing mood as opposed to a learning computer crap mode... Eventually I really would like to learn how to do some decent recording, I just don't wanna have to fight with it to get there. Just tired I guess...

But this forum is really a great, place to learn new things and meet gear folks, so perhaps a little new blood here will be just the inspiration I need (once I get my electric back from the shop)...

Last edited:

joshuaaewallen

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
24
Location
The Dark Side Of The Moon
Just got an email back from Digitech. The patches of the RP500 & RP1000 are not interchangeable.

cleardot.gif
support@digitech.com

to me
show details 9:06 AM (5 hours ago)

Hi,
They are not interchangeable, as the RP1000 has more effects, amp models and parameters.