• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Do you live in "BFE"?

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I live in a small medieval village in southern France. There are about 30 people here in the winter and it bumps up to about 50 in august. My house is at the top of the village, the last house, and outside of my gate is the beginning of a hiking trail that goes up into the mountains. I am down in a very small valley and my house is physically blocked from the rest of the village. That means I can turn up my amps very loud. No one has complained in 4 years.

(On a side note, I just built a barrier out of styrofoam and wood to block the entrance to my bedroom. Now I can turn up my amps even louder. I needed to build some serious ear protection...)

The nearest Mcdonald's is 20 miles away. And that's it. There are no 7-11s, no 24 hour drive throughs, no 24 hour grocery stores. It's just remote. Most everything shuts down here around 7pm.

Here is a picture I took a couple of years ago from my front gate looking down into the village. I'm at 1700 feet (500m) and it was a cold, quiet, snowy night.

View attachment 95812

Wowser. That's just beautiful. Thanks for the share on that. It's got to be so nice and peaceful away from it all.

You should visit an American inner city sometime. Diversity is our strength, you'll see. :shock:

nickfox

Reaction score
That looks like a nice place. Nice enough that I'd expect to be annoyed at the Disney characters walking down the street every day. See any French brunettes in blue and white dresses lately? :cool: Or the bimbettes?

There's nothing disney about this place. Just an old village that's been here for 4 to 500 years. My brother lives 8 miles away and his house is 450 years old.

My next door neighbor is Celine and she's 93 years old. She's lived in this village her entire life and was born in the house just 50 feet away. :)

nickfox

Reaction score
Wowser. That's just beautiful. Thanks for the share on that. It's got to be so nice and peaceful away from it all.

You should visit an American inner city sometime. Diversity is our strength, you'll see. :shock:

I lived in LA for 17 years. Spent a good bit of time there doing sound back in the day. Started working in the clubs in hollywood and santa monica. Eventually got in with a big sound company called Stanal Sound and ended up doing really big shows.

After working in those skanky places, everything else is pretty mellow. :)

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Not BFE but in a rural setting. Plenty of old farms, orchards and vineyards and forests. Summer population is much bigger than winter. Many part-time residents and lots of tourists in the summer. Retired people with two homes that go elsewhere when snow flies.
Wildlife, coyotes, bears, bobcat, fox etc... the usuals. Lots of public land too and good access to Lake Michigan - hasn't gone all private waterfront yet.
Winters can be harsh but lately not so much. I think we get about 10 foot of snow a year...

I lived smack in the middle of Detroit for a decade and loved it. Still got friends down there.
I could kind of see moving back but at this point pretty damn happy where we are.
I would much rather live in a city than the 'burbs- I hate the suburbs. lol

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not BFE but in a rural setting. Plenty of old farms, orchards and vineyards and forests. Summer population is much bigger than winter. Many part-time residents and lots of tourists in the summer. Retired people with two homes that go elsewhere when snow flies.
Wildlife, coyotes, bears, bobcat, fox etc... the usuals. Lots of public land too and good access to Lake Michigan - hasn't gone all private waterfront yet.
Winters can be harsh but lately not so much. I think we get about 10 foot of snow a year...

I lived smack in the middle of Detroit for a decade and loved it. Still got friends down there.
I could kind of see moving back but at this point pretty damn happy where we are.

Very nice place where you are @Lo-Tek! Someday we hope to be living rural, on acreage. Waiting on kids to settle and have some grandkids to figure out where.

But, we are opposite on the city part. I hate to even go into town. No way I'd live in the city. Give me the suburbs every single time.

My 'burbs.

Sorry for the off topic bend @Sapient. Back to BFE programming.

PS: I've been using the term BFE (Bum Fuck Egypt) since sometime around 1970.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick semi-on-topic continuation of my post above. When I was a kid in the late 60's into the early 70's, my dad got us on a hunting lease. We had to get up really early and drive to BFE to get to it. Out in the middle of nowhere. Kind of one of those "are we there yet" places, but I wasn't a kid like that. It's where I learned to shoot. An old house served as our hunting lodge.

I now live 1/2 mile from that land that was our hunting lease. Every time I take a certain freeway flyover, right by my house, I can look down and see that old house that was the hunting lodge around 50 years ago. I lived here a couple years before I realized it. Still blows my mind a bit. Houston has grown massively.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm eight miles outside of town, two traffic lights. My drive to work has no traffic lights and more wildlife than cars. When it snows they don't plow my road for typically 48 hours after the snow stops. I called the State Police one time because of a suspicions vehicle at around 2am, they were thirty five minutes getting here. When they sowed up I had my night vision on, two German Shepard and an AR strapped on.... they said they wouldn't rush if I ever called again. Closest Wal-Mart is thirty minute drive. I have no access to high speed cable or DSL.

Sapient

 
Reaction score

I've been to Traverse City so I know that area. It's HUGE tourist town! Lot's of people go there in the summer. As you have already stated.

As far as Detroit? What's not to like ..low crime, lot's of jobs, friendly people, great schools, safe streets, low drug and illegal firearms presence. Hell to think I'm in the burbs instead of there. Tell me I didn't get the short end of the stick. :hmm:

:io:

Torren61

Reaction score
There's nothing disney about this place. Just an old village that's been here for 4 to 500 years. My brother lives 8 miles away and his house is 450 years old.

My next door neighbor is Celine and she's 93 years old. She's lived in this village her entire life and was born in the house just 50 feet away. :)

I REALLY like France. This is not France. It's a local zebra. I don't have any pictures related to France on this computer. I'll post a picture I took in France when I get the chance (and I'm wearing pants).

F434FBFC-8F38-4629-8314-9BD276BE36D9_1_105_c.jpeg