Do you use an EQ in your rig?

• Thread starter Macro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I...

• Use an EQ pedal out in front of th amp

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Use an EQ pedal in the FX loop

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Don't use an EQ pedal at all

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Just want to see everyone else's answers

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters

Bull Rock

Reaction score
I have an MXR 10 band that sits somewhere near my other pedals. I used it a couple times, but just found myself futzing with it for no good reason. Too thick, then too thin, then too much gain, then too loud, etc... Pulled it out of the chain and its been sitting there for over a year now. Maybe I'm boring - I guess I'm just happy with the basic treb/bass/mid/presence.

Yep. Been there lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I like to keep an EQ in the loop for some possibly-needed tone shaping, but I also like to use an EQ out in front when I want something with a different flavor than a Tubescreamer. With the mids cranked, you can a Dimebag-style chug sound going on, or something bitey like Stryper.

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I have the ubiquitous MXR 10 band eq, but I really only use it for fiddling around at home. I don't use it for my actual live/rehearsal rig. Though I do use an OD with bass/mid/treble EQ adjusters for a solo boost, so I guess I do sort of use an eq.

rick16v

Reaction score
Source audio midi controllable eq in my loop. Permanently on for cleans. The added tweaking is useful as my amp eq is only 2 band. I also use ab EP booster, I guess that is an eq pedal.

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
I see this thread was raised from the dead....I am still EQ-free since the summer and don't miss it at all. I had primarily used it for level setting in my loop, but since changing amps and going to a whole different W/D/W configuration it isn't needed. Between two separate amps and various pedals and guitars I have access to more tone combinations than I have time to experiment with!!!

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for one of these for a decent price-
akai-peq-6-468560.jpg

tman

Reaction score
I love using a seven band EQ in the loop.I am getting much better sounds now through my DSL.It brings out more character out of the amp and the guitar,basically the whole signal chain lol.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
If I use EQ's on an amp it's usually because it sounds a bit muddy and needs to be tightened up. A Mesa Rectifier is a good example, whenever I need(ed) a more Marshally sound from it. In that case I'd use two EQ's:

1. Before the Input. Cut some lows and add some mids.
2. One in the loop to add back some of the low-end.

This effectively tightens up that gravelly gain by removing it from the preamp, and then you add clean lows back in after the preamp. Been EQ's this way this since the 80's. I'd usually use a stereo rack EQ and use the left side for the input and the right side for the loop. If I needed to refine the top-end at all I'd usually do it via the loop EQ.

benoityip

Reaction score
I use it in a similar way as the person above.

I play Metallica, Marshall amp has too much high mids, and lack lower mids. It sounds too thin.

I use OD pedal in front (no gain, max volumne) to boost the upper mids, and a 6 band EQ pedal in the loop to boost the lower mids (200-400hz), and remove everything under 100hz.

I also have a guitar pickup with weak mid range, the OD pedal is requried to boost the mids into higher gain. The end result is it will roar. but OD pedal took out a lot of lower mids, so I boost the lower mids back in the loop. This lower mids should not be boost before the distortion or it will sound muddy.

Then the amp sound like Mesa Boogie (not exactly the same), but it will cut into the mix. It sounds so much closer to Metallica "Black Albumn" sound

You can say I am using two EQ, because a OD pedal is a preset EQ by itself

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
EQ in the effects loop.
Behringer rack mount in series with a G-Major and Rocktron Hush (Rig 1)

MXR 10 band with other pedals (Rig 2)

I am a firm believer that an EQ makes a great sounding rig and outstanding sounding rig...