Does anybody Ever made a JCM 800 sound HUGE like that?

• Thread starter PEMAMETAL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CAPDUNN

Reaction score
The Black Label evm12l is 300 watts. The stock ev12l is rated at 200 watts. These speakers are heavy!

Dave666

Reaction score
NewReligion can get some really cool ZW sounds out of his 2210!!

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
thats pretty much the sound im getting out of mine,....i got a zw2203, which is just a 2203 with 6550's, a les paul w'emg's and a sd1 and thats pretty much what it sounds like right there, especially if i slave the jubilee off of it and use stereo chours.

How are you running your sd1? You need to have the level on your pedal cranked, and the gain on about 2 or 3 ,....also i run my preamp vol on 10 and my master on about 3 or 4,.....the rest is in his attack and his aggression.

let it be said though, you cant get no balls out of an 800 with the master on 2 ,....just aint gonna happen.

To play Zakk stuff I'm running the sd-1 like zakk uses his, everything on 6, sometimes I put the level on 7 or 8 and the drive on 5 to get a litlle less feed back.
My jcm settings are presence 2, bass 10, mid 5, treble 5, master between 2 or 5 and preamp dimed (just like Zakk). My Les Paul has the emg set and playing trhough a 1960B Marshall with g12t-75.

I don't use the master on 2, I use it most of the time on 4 or 5, but when it's over 2 the feedback gets really bad.

What speakers Do you use man? The only 2 things I can change in my gear to get closer in tone are the speakers (I never tried the evm 12l) and try a 2203 with 6550, because mine is a 2204 from 1989 (horizontal inputs), I really don't know how different would sound a 2204 horizontal inputs and a 2203 with vertical inputs. 100 watts maybe sound more powerfull and punchier

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
Easy, Rotovibe and an SD1. Good hands, 6550 tubes and EMGs

Man I have a Les Paul Custom with EMG, boss ce-5, boss sd-1, the rotovibe and Zakk ZW-45 wah wah, a JCM 800 2204 with 6550 playing trhough a marshall 1960B with g12t-75 speakers, I set all pedals and amp exactly like him and trust me it's not that simple.
I can get a very good tone, nice Zakk Wylde style licks, but My tone is more trebly and thiner, not that monster huge thick tone like the videos I posted here. And again, the feedback is a big problem.
Later I will upload here a sample of My tone.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Man I have a Les Paul Custom with EMG, boss ce-5, boss sd-1, the rotovibe and Zakk ZW-45 wah wah, a JCM 800 2204 with 6550 playing trhough a marshall 1960B with g12t-75 speakers, I set all pedals and amp exactly like him and trust me it's not that simple.
I can get a very good tone, nice Zakk Wylde style licks, but My tone is more trebly and thiner, not that monster huge thick tone like the videos I posted here. And again, the feedback is a big problem.
Later I will upload here a sample of My tone.

That's where the hands come in... (oh and the speakers too)

Riffraff

Reaction score
To play Zakk stuff I'm running the sd-1 like zakk uses his, everything on 6, sometimes I put the level on 7 or 8 and the drive on 5 to get a litlle less feed back.
My jcm settings are presence 2, bass 10, mid 5, treble 5, master between 2 or 5 and preamp dimed (just like Zakk). My Les Paul has the emg set and playing trhough a 1960B Marshall with g12t-75.

I don't use the master on 2, I use it most of the time on 4 or 5, but when it's over 2 the feedback gets really bad.

What speakers Do you use man? The only 2 things I can change in my gear to get closer in tone are the speakers (I never tried the evm 12l) and try a 2203 with 6550, because mine is a 2204 from 1989 (horizontal inputs), I really don't know how different would sound a 2204 horizontal inputs and a 2203 with vertical inputs. 100 watts maybe sound more powerfull and punchier

To get thicker tone you have to add more volume and cut gain, that's what is making it sound thin. You need more power tube and less preamp.
The added volume will add gain back but it will have more low end thump which is what you want. Forget about "Zak's Settings" and crank that SD-1 all the way up and turn it's gain down to like 1 or 2. For more kick crank your master volume up OVER 5 and back the preamp down to about 8 or lower if need be to control the feedback.

I used to run my 1959 jumpered with it's bright channel on AT LEAST 7 and the low on 4, SD-1 volume 10 & gain 1. It's all in pushing the power amp section.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
PEMAMetal- are you downtuning and using heavy string gauges? Those two factors in combination with his playing technique are the most important factors in his sound IMO...

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
To get thicker tone you have to add more volume and cut gain, that's what is making it sound thin. You need more power tube and less preamp.
The added volume will add gain back but it will have more low end thump which is what you want. Forget about "Zak's Settings" and crank that SD-1 all the way up and turn it's gain down to like 1 or 2. For more kick crank your master volume up OVER 5 and back the preamp down to about 8 or lower if need be to control the feedback.

I used to run my 1959 jumpered with it's bright channel on AT LEAST 7 and the low on 4, SD-1 volume 10 & gain 1. It's all in pushing the power amp section.

Thanks Man, I 'll try doing those things.
But what I really want to know is: Getting a 2203 with 6550 or the EVM 12l speakers Will bring more results than just tweking what I already have? How much thicker is a 2203 icomparing to a 2304? How much thicker my tone would get if I use EVM 12l instead of G12t-75?

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
PEMAMetal- are you downtuning and using heavy string gauges? Those two factors in combination with his playing technique are the most important factors in his sound IMO...

I'm using 10-52 on E standard tuning (that is 10 top with 12 bottom), Zakk uses 10 -60 on E standard tunings (that is 10 top with 13 bottom I think).
His Downtuning is most of the time only in the Low E string, sometimes downtune do D, somestimes to B or A, but the rest of the strings are standard, and this is what I do too. With Ozzy his tuning is Eb.

In the 2 videos that I posted, the initial tuning is standard E, than low E is doentuned to D, and than to B.

Reaction score
On the Berzerkus tour he used JCM800s running Marshall cabs, if I remember correctly. There was three of them in a flight case. I think one was a Wylde model and the other a vertical input 800, the third one I don't remember. Don't know what the cabs were equipped with. One thing that was kinda weird was that also a DI signal was taken from both heads with Palmer DIs and then summed with a Y-cable(!) going to FOH.

The pedal board had a Dunlop wah, a Wylde OD, a Rotovibe, a Wylde chorus, an MXR Carbon Copy delay and a Phase 90. Strings and picks were Dunlops.

I have pics somewhere, if I find them I'll check if I remembered correctly.

lespaul339

Reaction score
My 800 2203 sounds huge like that. I'm running it into a Avatar Vintage cab with 4X12 with Greenbacks. My preamp is at about 8, my presence is only around 2 or 3. My eq settings are bass at 10, and my highs and mids at around 4 or 5. Volume, as loud as the situation calls for. I push it with a Fulltone OCD, with the volume all the way up, and the gain at about 10 o'clock. If I add chorus, it sounds pretty close to Zakk's sound. Not that I'm trying to copy him, I'm not a Zakk fanboy or anything.

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
My 800 2203 sounds huge like that. I'm running it into a Avatar Vintage cab with 4X12 with Greenbacks. My preamp is at about 8, my presence is only around 2 or 3. My eq settings are bass at 10, and my highs and mids at around 4 or 5. Volume, as loud as the situation calls for. I push it with a Fulltone OCD, with the volume all the way up, and the gain at about 10 o'clock. If I add chorus, it sounds pretty close to Zakk's sound. Not that I'm trying to copy him, I'm not a Zakk fanboy or anything.

Awesome Man.

I think I'll try a 2203 to see how it sounds. Does You 2203 have el34 or 6550? Reissue or Vintage from the 800s? Don't You have feedback problems when You turn on your boost?

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
thats pretty much the sound im getting out of mine,....i got a zw2203, which is just a 2203 with 6550's, a les paul w'emg's and a sd1 and thats pretty much what it sounds like right there, especially if i slave the jubilee off of it and use stereo chours.

How are you running your sd1? You need to have the level on your pedal cranked, and the gain on about 2 or 3 ,....also i run my preamp vol on 10 and my master on about 3 or 4,.....the rest is in his attack and his aggression.

let it be said though, you cant get no balls out of an 800 with the master on 2 ,....just aint gonna happen.

Man....
The day YOu decide to sell this head don't forget about me! I'd buy it for sure, This head must be fucking monster awesome huge and thick tone.

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
man, I was thibking about one thing. And the bright cap? If I take it off may be the tone gets thicker. What Do You guys think?

surface54

Reaction score
the guy in the back says it all!
thats not good tone thats too many white noisey highs!

zakk likes that shit cause he cant hear anymore

lespaul339

Reaction score
Awesome Man.

I think I'll try a 2203 to see how it sounds. Does You 2203 have el34 or 6550? Reissue or Vintage from the 800s? Don't You have feedback problems when You turn on your boost?

It is a reissue, with no mods. It has el34's. To be specific it has JJ e34l's. I know JJ Tubes don't seem to be too popular on this forum, but I like them. And no, I don't have any problems with feedback at all with my boost, but I'm not diming the gain on the overdrive pedal either. Like I said, I'm only running the gain on the OCD at about 10 o'clock. I never run it past noon.

Latest posts