Does anybody make a shallow replacement jack plate?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No I've never had one. I have looked at them, but thought they would sound too similar to a greenback and I don't like greenbacks. How do you think it would pair with a Anniversary H30? I have a few speakers here now, I think I should try some different combinations and see if I come up with anything before I buy another speaker that I may or may not like.

I have on hand a Jensen Nighthawk, '82 G12T-75, Cannabis Rex, WGS Veteran 30, WGS ET-65 and a 70th Anniversary H30. I pulled the Alnico Blue today and tried the Nighthawk with the H30. It's not good. Next I'll try the T-75, but I'm not expecting much. I've never cared much for that speaker, but I want to give it one more try before I give up on it.

I bought the WGS ET-65 because WGS recommends pairing it with the Vet 30, I thought it was supposed to be like a Creamback 65, but I don't know about that, it sounds horrible. I've heard they don't sound good until they break in good, but I don't have time to wait for it. If a Creamback 65 sounds better out of the box, it might sound better with the Veteran 30, but I think the Vet 30 sounds great by itself so I've put it back in my 112 cab, but I'm willing to try again.
I'm not a fan of mixing speakers so I'd be no help there. They say a creamback is a higher wattage greenback, not so, I have a creamback cab and a greenback cab and they sound totally different from each other. Listen to some videos and see what you think, if it peaks your interest find a used creamback for a good price and get it to try, it always keeps its value for resale if you dont like it. I buy all my speakers used.

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a MX212A vertical cab with the angled top. I just put an Anlico Blue in the top (with a Anniversary H30 on the bottom) and Alnico blue is so tall there isn't enough room for this deep jack plate to fit anymore. I don't want to flip the speakers, I want to keep the Blue on top. Right now I just have the jack hanging out the back of the cab with a rag stiffed in to plug the hole. Does anybody make a shallow version of this jack plate? Just thought I'd ask before I try to rig something. I looked around, but I didn't find anything. Surely I can't be the only one with this issue.

XFZonYO.jpg
Steve, these are suppose to fit a Marshall cab and you just use 2 of the screw holes. Take a look.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve, these are suppose to fit a Marshall cab and you just use 2 of the screw holes. Take a look.

I already checked those out and they're too small. That's ok, I don't think I need it anymore.

Deftone

Reaction score
How do you think it would pair with a Anniversary H30?
I have two 65w CB's paired with two G12H30 Anni's, I think it sounds amazing. It's my go to cab for all my Marshall heads 2204's, 2205, 2555, 2500 MKIII...only with my 2500 SL-X do I prefer the 25w GB/G12T-75 combo. Maybe it's the 5881's.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two 65w CB's paired with two G12H30 Anni's, I think it sounds amazing. It's my go to cab for all my Marshall heads 2204's, 2205, 2555, 2500 MKIII...only with my 2500 SL-X do I prefer the 25w GB/G12T-75 combo. Maybe it's the 5881's.

I found a used CB 65 today for a decent price so I ordered it. I figure if I don't like it I can sell it for what I paid for it. I hope it surprises me.

Deftone

Reaction score
I found a used CB 65 today for a decent price so I ordered it. I figure if I don't like it I can sell it for what I paid for it. I hope it surprises me.
I hope you like it. I always buy used speakers. It's cheaper and they are usually already broken in.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you like it. I always buy used speakers. It's cheaper and they are usually already broken in.
Well, this one was listed as mint, hardly used so it's probably not broken in. Seems people don't sell these speakers, I couldn't find any that are "well" used and I'm not very patient to wait when I decide I want something.

I only have one speaker that's broken in, at least I would hope so, it's a G12T-75 from '82 with the vented magnet. I specifically bought it because I knew it would be broken in good. I never liked that speaker. :lol:

Deftone

Reaction score
Well, this one was listed as mint, hardly used so it's probably not broken in. Seems people don't sell these speakers, I couldn't find any that are "well" used and I'm not very patient to wait when I decide I want something.

I only have one speaker that's broken in, at least I would hope so, it's a G12T-75 from '82 with the vented magnet. I specifically bought it because I knew it would be broken in good. I never liked that speaker. :lol:
Well I think you said you don't like GB's and I do. I like G12T-75's and you don't. I don't like V30's so if you like V30's I'm going to be worried that you won't like the CB. 😟

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I think you said you don't like GB's and I do. I like G12T-75's and you don't. I don't like V30's so if you like V30's I'm going to be worried that you won't like the CB. 😟

I don't like V30s. I like the WGS Veteran 30, but only by itself. I had it in the cab to begin with paired with the H30 and I won't say I didn't like it, but just that there was something about it paired with the H30 that I didn't like. I honestly think there might be something wrong with the T75 I have, I have experienced newer versions (in a 412) and I like the sound, but just not this one. I know they were different speakers back then so maybe that's it, I don't know.

I'm going partially by what @paul-e-mann said about his CB cab sounding different from his GB cab. Also, back when I first bought my SC20 there was discussion about the Creamback sounding good with it. I almost bought one then, but I didn't and it's always been in the back of my head to try one some day. Then when you came in and said what you did about the 65s paired with H30 Anniversaries after what Paul said I figured now is as good a time as any to try one.

This is turning into as big a can of worms as when I was on a quest for pickups and probably about as expensive, but pickups are small and easy to store away, speakers not so much, lol. I'm finding that speakers have way more impact on tone than pickups so I think it'll be worth it in the end. I'm learning a lot about speakers and this is my first time mixing speakers so it's fun really and worth it to me to experiment.

It's all good.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll have to forgive me, I had a stroke several years ago now, and sometimes I forget certain details about some things. I'm sitting here thinking (since my last post) and realizing that my hate for GBs is probably not fair. I've had it in my mind for years that I don't like greenbacks, but now that I'm thinking about it my only basis for that is a 10" Scumback M75 that I bought for my Class 5 way back in 2010 or 11, a 10" newer G10 and a WGS Green Beret. It has literally just dawned on me that I've never actually played a 12" Celestion Greenback. :facepalm: I just got that in my head and I've stuck by it. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I've made a few shallow jack plates out of sheet metal or an old license plate...

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you'll like the creamback DS.
I have some H75's that I think are fantastic, and I'd like to get some M65's at some point.
Got a pair on my O20 cabs, and one mixed with a H30/55 GB in my Tweaker40 cabs.
I don't have an SC20, but I'd guess the Tweaker has some similar tone with the boost on.
I had some M25 GB's with my O20, and I think the CB's are easier to like.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet you'll like the creamback DS.
I have some H75's that I think are fantastic, and I'd like to get some M65's at some point.
Got a pair on my O20 cabs, and one mixed with a H30/55 GB in my Tweaker40 cabs.
I don't have an SC20, but I'd guess the Tweaker has some similar tone with the boost on.
I had some M25 GB's with my O20, and I think the CB's are easier to like.

I'm looking forward to trying it.

It's also dawning on me now that I'm looking for a speaker to pair with my H30 without ever questioning if the H30 is the right speaker. All I'm going by really is that it was the best speaker I paired with my Veteran 30, it's very possible that the H30 is the problem, I don't know. After I get the 65 I should be able to try a few more combinations that might be even better.

WGS recommends pairing the Vet 30 with an ET65 (creamback clone) but when I tried it it sucked, but I found out that it doesn't sound good at all until it's broken in good and it's not so maybe that's why I didn't like it. Who knows, the Vet 30 might pair better with the real 65.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also dawning on me now that I'm looking for a speaker to pair with my H30
I had a pair of H30 Anni's in my DSL20 cabs - I tried soooo many speakers with that amp, and the Anni's were my favorite.
Sold 'em with the amp and I wish I had kept the speakers...
If you're looking for something to pair with it, why not just get another?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of H30 Anni's in my DSL20 cabs - I tried soooo many speakers with that amp, and the Anni's were my favorite.
Sold 'em with the amp and I wish I had kept the speakers...
If you're looking for something to pair with it, why not just get another?

Well, for one thing I've yet to hear it by itself so I don't know if I like it as is. Maybe I should try it alone in my 112 cab. For that matter, I could just buy another Veteran 30 to pair with the one I have and I already know I like (which has always been my backup plan), but what would be the fun in that? :lol:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for one thing I've yet to hear it by itself so I don't know if I like it as is. Maybe I should try it alone in my 112 cab.
:yesway:
I have no experience with WGS Veteran 30, but V30's are not a favorite of mine. (had some & sold them with my JCA)
Love my H75 CB & H30/55 GB pair, so I'd bet the M65 CB & H30 Anni will go well together.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
:yesway:
I have no experience with WGS Veteran 30, but V30's are not a favorite of mine. (had some & sold them with my JCA)
Love my H75 CB & H30/55 GB pair, so I'd bet the M65 CB & H30 Anni will go well together.
The Veteran 30 it's supposed to be a better version of the V30 without the harsh high end and mids that people don't like. To me it sounds too different to be compared. I don't like V30s, but I love the Vet30.

Comparison starts at 3:00...

Latest posts