Does anyone PREFER Boss??

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whose the BOSS?

• STRONGLY like

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I've got a few to do what they're supposed to.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • H8 H8 H8

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
I had this little dude at one time, it did the job.

IMG_7780-e13b615d53b9bf4c18fa29f065c97311.JPG

The GE-7 has been in & out of my rig since the early '90s, its always in my bag so if all my rack **** fails I can still get a lead boost.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I like and use Boss but cant say I prefer it more or less than any other brand.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
When I was growing up I bought them because I thought they were the best. Now, I have a love /hate relationship with them. They are indestructible and quiet. The ones I own..

HM-2 Heavy Metal (don't use but will keep)
Metal Zone (have to set it just right to get a decent tone. Use it with practice amp)
CE-2 Chorus (great)
CE-3 Chorus (not so great)
DS-1 (good for grunge)
SD-1 (cool raw overdrive; prefer Soul Food)
Noise Suppressor (good. supplies power to other pedals)
Tuner (booth floor and hand held)
BF2 Flanger (decent. Got it for $15)
PH-3 Phaser (not crazy about it. It boost the signal too much)
AC-3 Acoustic simulator (didn't work out when playing live. Sound man hated it)
DD5 Delay (good for '80s sound)
Blues Driver (Keely modded. Okay)
PW-2 Power Stack (crappy pedal I got free)
EH-2 Enhancer (worked well with my JCM900, not so well with my DSL50)

mirrorman

Reaction score
I have a few...
DS1 - very broad range of tonal possibilities, decent pedal. I've had it since very early '80s still works perfectly.
BF2 - I prefer it in front of the amp, gets a little too "in your face" for my liking in the effects loop. I've had it since mid-80s, still works perfectly.
TU3 - decent tuner and will supply power to other pedals. I've had it for a couple of years, still going strong.
FS-5L - I've had it since mid-'90s to replace an amp channel switcher. Still works perfectly.

I'm happy with the pedals I have, they have decent sound and have lasted. And they were reasonably priced.
There may be better out there, but they are good enough for what I need. I don't take my pedal board out to gig, I use a Zoom G3X for that. It has decent sound and isn't irreplaceable if it gets beat up gigging.
:yesway:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone used to use Boss pedals....they were the benchmark. My board used to have original overdrive, distortion, chorus and compressor all bought around 1981. Nowadays I just use cheap stuff that sounds great....Caline Orange Burst = Awesome. :yesway:

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I have an OFA modded SD1 that I wont part with and a TU3 that is sitting in a drawer, that I dont seem to part with either..

MemphisMarshallMan

Reaction score
I used to use Boss pedals. As my amplifiers changed to Marshalls I started noticing how several of my Boss pedals were changing the tone of my guitar even when the pedals were not on. They were sucking the tone out of my sound.
So I gradually started swapping the Boss pedals for boutique pedals and was happy with my tone again.
When I go play with a new band (I sub a lot) most of the time the guys tell me how good my guitar tone is. That never happened until I became a tone chaser. I tell them its because of using better quality pedals and Marshall amps.

StoneD

Reaction score
Boss is awesome. So many pro boards are littered with Boss pedals. Built like tanks and road tested for decades use. Love the Boss pedals so much i'd rehouse all my pedals into old Boss pedal casing if i could. The footswitching is silent and perfect!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I like Boss but I use whatever is the best and makes sense for the pedal in question...

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
CE-2 Chorus (great)
CE-3 Chorus (not so great)

I had the CE-2, CE-3 & CE-5 at the same time but I preferred the CE-3. I found that on distorted tones the CE-2 worked better than the CE-3 but since I don't use chorus that much on dirt the CE-3 won out, I find it crisper on cleans, a good middle ground is the CE-5, that's the two I kept CE-3 & CE-5

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
My board: MXR Phase90, vintage Boss MIJ CS2 compressor, Boss DD3. That's it. All I need. I actually sold my Keeley Compressor, my CMATMODS compressor Deluxe, and a vintage MXR DynaComp in favor of the CS2, and then I bought a backup CS2. It's my favorite compressor. The DD3 sounds far more natural to my ears than every other delay I've tried, with the only exception being some vintage rackmount units.

But with exception to the compressor and delay positions on my board, any other pedal I'd get could be anything. I'm not a Boss fanboy - they just do the job best in those positions of my board.

mtm105

Reaction score
Boss is awesome. So many pro boards are littered with Boss pedals. Built like tanks and road tested for decades use. Love the Boss pedals so much i'd rehouse all my pedals into old Boss pedal casing if i could. The footswitching is silent and perfect!

That would be an endorsement.

They're built tough, affordable and are constantly producing new products.

I've bought many esoterical units and could not bond.

I just bought a used ME 70. I could sell my ME 50 for about same price.

SD-1 has to be most underrated pedal ever built. Plug it in and I'm like "OMG!" THAT tone!! Jeff Beck originaly painted his OD-1 prototype black so no one could figure out his tone.

jack daniels

Reaction score
I prefer my Keeley/Boss BD-2 Blues Driver to about most other OD's and my Boss DD-2 Digital Delay (unmodified). Hard to beat, tried and true pedals. :yesway:

JAC

Reaction score
I say it is all good including Boss. I remember when I use to hate DOD. I felt all their pedals were strange until I played a Grunge FZ69B. (Did not know about the 250 Preamp OD yet, a bad ass killer pedal ). I've never disliked Boss. I started my pedal love in the late 70s with the EHX Muff Fuzz. There is nothing wrong with boutique except sometimes the higher cost. Different strokes for different cork sniffers, I'll have the vintage TS9 with a fine Chianti please!

warner_211

Reaction score
Ive only ever had one boss pedal. It was a metal zone and ive had an interesting relationship with it, could never find a purpose until i got a 15 dollar bridgecraft strat. When my primary guitar was in the shop for a while i used it as an effects processor into my dsl100h. i could get a decent hair metal tone out of it by tweaking the eq. It wasnt great but could get vitto bratta's radar love tone and a decent Lynch's wicked sensation tone. However with my mahogany guitars (Kramer Striker, Epi Les Paul 100) it sounded like crap. so maybe crap + crap= Platinum but never as good as my kramer out of lead 1 on dsl

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I had the CE-2, CE-3 & CE-5 at the same time but I preferred the CE-3. I found that on distorted tones the CE-2 worked better than the CE-3 but since I don't use chorus that much on dirt the CE-3 won out, I find it crisper on cleans, a good middle ground is the CE-5, that's the two I kept CE-3 & CE-5

Everyone's ears are different. I found that the CE-2 had a more lush sound. The CE-3 didn't sound as lush and sounded a little sterile. I do like the stereo function on the CE-3 though..