Does Speaker Orientation Matter For A 2x12?

• Thread starter HarryAndAGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've just replaced the G12T-75s out of my 2x12 cab with some of the Celestion G12m-65 Creambacks. My only question is does it matter if the speakers are facing each other? With these speakers being 4 hole I couldnt put it anyway I liked, one went in the correct way and another is slightly off axis, I didnt fancy drilling holes in the speaker so mounted it like this.

Is there any problem with doing this and will it sound different? Thanks

8b27e5e6-9d78-4db5-b35e-6af78fafdf85.jpg

GIBSON67

Reaction score
No difference in sound, but there looks to be 8 holes in each speaker, so why couldn't you rotate them to be like you want?

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
No difference in sound, but there looks to be 8 holes in each speaker, so why couldn't you rotate them to be like you want?
Thanks for the reply, its not clear on the but theyre blocked up with a cork looking material? Doesnt seem like a can just put a screw through it?

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
You can kind of see what I mean here the one on the right in my cab looks exactly like this but the one on the left has all the holes one to the side so exact opposite.

G12M-6516-large.jpg

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Oh, I see. The way I see it, the frame has a hole, so go ahead and use it.
You might want to predrill the cork so the bolt goes through easily, but
Try to avoid having the cork gasket separating from the frame.

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
Do you think I should just leave it at the orientation and not risk damaging the gasket? As long is it doesn't sound any different I'd be happy I think

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
The speakers won't care and it won't affect your tone. You can take a razor knife and cut out the extra cork to use the mounting holes you like, just make sure you cut cleanly. I would put the speaker face down on a table with wood or cardboard underneath, then use the razor knife to pare away the extra cork/paper to match the mounting hole. Looks like they just didn't clean out all 8 holes like they were supposed to at the factory, but you should be able to do this fairly easily yourself to trim away the excess.

Latest posts