• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Don't Let This Happen To You!

• Thread starter Analogman88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky. I like UPS for big items and USPS for small items. I shipped a 4x12 to California, no problems.
I shipped a 4x10 Gibson Ranger Amp with no problems. My packing must be well past par...

I mainly ship a lot of speakers, so I double box them very securely...but I still cringe everytime I am finished with USPS,
and they take my box and toss it over the counter into the next room, ouch!

You have to expect the worst when shipping anything, so pack accordingly. And I like the idea of having UPS pack your items, great idea!

Conghaille

Reaction score
Don't use USPS. Twice they've damaged and lost packages and refused to pay the insurance. I submitted receipts, documented values, etc. and they refused. I filed a dispute to their refusal and all I got was 6 months of headache with no results. They force you to walk away...

UPS damaged a package and they denied insurance payment, I fought them and within 4 months I won and they paid the $400 to repair the amp. I packed this thing so well, it said FRAGILE in big letters on every side and it was bolted to a pallet in the box but they still destroyed it.

Moral of the story - use FEDEX, I've never had a problem with them.

Funny, my personal experience is that FedEx is the worst, UPS is ok, hardly use DHL, and USPS has never given me a problem.

All our individual perspectives are anecdotal, but putting them together suggests that there's no really good option, so it's best to pack as well as you can, pay a little more if it might improve outcomes, shift responsibility to the shipper as much as possible, and even still, be prepared that things will go wrong from time to time. Cost of doing business, sadly.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Just had a guy that PM'd me from Bulgaria on a listing I have on Reverb.com wondering about first class shipping there. The guy was insincere (or a scam artist) as he never replied back. Boy I attract these guys like magnets, then I have to worry about being ripped off by a scammer or a shipping company to boot.

Hysteria

Reaction score
Is it worth it to Sue UP$? I couldn't just take this lying down. I'm sorry this happened.

Salsg

Reaction score
You know they all suck. I only ship pedals now, and speakers that I double box, so I pay for an oversized box. But I will probably stop shipping altogether unless I have too. It's also getting ridiculously expensive, but why do I see others pay half of what I have to pay?

Analogman88

Reaction score
Is it worth it to Sue UP$? I couldn't just take this lying down. I'm sorry this happened.
Yeah, I've thought about it but after being transferred and put on hold for 30 minutes half a dozen times then transferred again etc.. just trying to get refunded for the unsuccessful shipping, I just gave up. I'd rather stick my head in a septic tank than to deal with ppl giving me the runaround, waiting, filing disputes, staring at a computer screen while on hold.. ugh, or to ever deal with UP$ again for that matter.

Thanks everyone for all the help though. I don't believe for one second that it was my fault but due to the crooked policies UP$ uses to protect their yellow backs for their negligence, I've found that an item like mine has to be built to withstand the extreme abuse they subject it to. So, it is my fault, legally. They have all their bases covered to permit them to do this.

Analogman88

Reaction score
It is obvious from your photos that the cab wasn't protected properly inside the box. It has to be cushioned on all eight corners with 50mm high density foam and then this doesn't happen. If you are going to ship you have to assume they are going the drag the box behind the van to it's destination.

I buy and sell for collection only. I am fortunate as I am within 4 hours driving of either London or Glasgow, so I will always take a road trip when buying gear. For me the trip is part of the deal, to meet the seller/buyer, have a brew, see their other gear (to get a feel for whether the item maybe stolen goods). Then insist on trying the item to make sure all is well. I also insist on this when selling, so the buyer can't claim it's broken later. Payment is always cash...no come backs either way. Shake hands and part company, both parties happy.
I realise this is tough to do in a country the size of the USA, but then if you ship you take a risk and if you mess up it costs you.

The two most severe dents of all were on the front edge, half way between top and bottom; not a corner. So it ALL has to be covered in armor to withstand their abuse.