what to do with speaker from thomann.de

• Thread starter bobbyvasco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
Pellix your suggestions sometimes are so weird...you say i can demonstrate faulty speaker with some china 5 usd signal emitter and not with my custom fender guitar,

If you don't understand the working principles of what you're dealing with or have the tools, don't blame me. Gunner's suggestion with the phone is a good one, too, though I figured most phones don't have jacks anymore and you might want to film it with the same phone.

you accuse me of being a troll are angry because I did not sell you powerbrake marshall for cheap etc

I built myself something better. It doesn't look cooler yet, but I'll get there.

I am fed up with you really

I can be a pretty obnoxious person and the forum will back me up on that. Amazon and Thomann will still do business with me, though. :)

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
You can use a signal generator app on your phone too.

Why? Because you can find the actual frequency that the cab buzzes at and physically search for the buzz unencumbered by a guitar while the cab is buzzing continuously. seems pretty practical to me.

Why do you dismiss actual solutions to isolate and diagnose your issues? Serious question. No trolling iinvolved.
because after so long time being here and trying to ask for help, some users just mock me and call me troll still after being here for years..... i dont see this happening with other newbies....that they post something and being called a troll

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
You can use a signal generator app on your phone too.

Why? Because you can find the actual frequency that the cab buzzes at and physically search for the buzz unencumbered by a guitar while the cab is buzzing continuously. seems pretty practical to me.

Why do you dismiss actual solutions to isolate and diagnose your issues? Serious question. No trolling iinvolved.
so to plug my 3.5 mic output from my phone I need special cable and then plug that cable to guitar input on my jcm 800?

PelliX

Reaction score
so to plug my 3.5 mic output from my phone I need special cable and then plug that cable to guitar input on my jcm 800?

You want the *headphone out* (which is often combined with the mic in and uses a T/R/R/S jack). Standard 3.5mm mono or stereo jack on one side (unless you have a nasty phone which uses 2.8mm, uncommon) and a standard mono or stereo 6.2mm jack on the amp side. As I said before, use the FX return if possible.

because after so long time being here and trying to ask for help, some users just mock me and call me troll still after being here for years..... i dont see this happening with other newbies....that they post something and being called a troll

...and if you had to guess, why do you think that might be? :coffee:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phone, tablet, laptop...any device like that will do. I have used a site called "virtual test bench" years ago when my signal generator took a shit and it worked pretty good..did the job.

Phones don't have headphone jacks anymore?..man, Me and my android are out of touch..lol.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Phone, tablet, laptop...any device like that will do. I have used a site called "virtual test bench" years ago when my signal generator took a shit and it worked pretty good..did the job.

Phones don't have headphone jacks anymore?..man, Me and my android are out of touch..lol.
so explain me more which app you use and you jsut run the frequencies? and then if it buzzes you listen where it comes from I guess? there must be million frequencies on that app

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump the signal into effects return. Scroll through frequencies until it buzzes. Pretty simple. Don't over complicate things

PelliX

Reaction score
Or use your guitar lead and just buy a 6.2mm to 3.5mm jack adapter. Cheaper, likely.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just Find a signal generator app, or web site that has that feature. I used a site called "virtual test bench" but I don't know if that still exists. You have to search.

Yes, You can use your guitar..but why haven't you found the buzz yet by doing so like pretty much every guitar player on the planet has done at one point or another?..you have to be persistent and do the work to find the problem, this stuff isn't magic.

I had an issue when I was playing with a band where I had this weird flange- echo thing going on as the notes decayed.

I swore it was coming from my amp and cab, looked at everything, tubes, speakers, everything..it was driving me nuts, and it was only happening to me not the other guitar player, bass player or drummer.

It turned out to be a big metal trash can that was in relative close proximity to my cab creating a weird reverb effect. I swore it was coming from my amp.

Point is, Sometimes we can perceive where these noises come from and swear that's what we hear, and it can be something in the room.

And don't discount the fact that powertubes can vibrate at high volume. Isolate the amp from the cab to negate that as a cause.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
IMO, you need to isolate the speaker(s) that may be causing the problem. You'll need to take off the back panel, take a picture of your wiring first, diagram it for good measure, then test each speaker individually. You can't test all four at once because the buzz will likely continue, so isolating each speaker and testing it is the best way to go.

A waveform generator like this is what I use, it's now $100 from Amazon. Tenma 72-490 Audio Signal Generator.

You'll need to make two cables, a 1/4 mono jack to two 1/4" spade terminals, or alligator clips. Wire them + to tip, - to sleeve. This will go out from your speaker output jacks.

You'll also need a 1/4" instrument cable to go from the Tenma to your amp input.

Hook the speaker up to your cable with the alligator/spade terminal clips. Set the amp low, around 25-30w, and use the frequency knob to test the speaker. When you twist the that knob it will generate anything from 20hz to 20Khz. That more than covers a guitar amp speaker range.

Listen for a buzz, then note the frequency (hz) reading. If none of the speakers buzz outside of the cabinet, then you have a loose screw on the handle, a speaker bolt, or a T-nut has come loose.

But if you hear a buzz on the individual speaker, you know it's got an issue.

Good luck!

Jim

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
IMO, you need to isolate the speaker(s) that may be causing the problem. You'll need to take off the back panel, take a picture of your wiring first, diagram it for good measure, then test each speaker individually. You can't test all four at once because the buzz will likely continue, so isolating each speaker and testing it is the best way to go.

A waveform generator like this is what I use, it's now $100 from Amazon. Tenma 72-490 Audio Signal Generator.

You'll need to make two cables, a 1/4 mono jack to two 1/4" spade terminals, or alligator clips. Wire them + to tip, - to sleeve. This will go out from your speaker output jacks.

You'll also need a 1/4" instrument cable to go from the Tenma to your amp input.

Hook the speaker up to your cable with the alligator/spade terminal clips. Set the amp low, around 25-30w, and use the frequency knob to test the speaker. When you twist the that knob it will generate anything from 20hz to 20Khz. That more than covers a guitar amp speaker range.

Listen for a buzz, then note the frequency (hz) reading. If none of the speakers buzz outside of the cabinet, then you have a loose screw on the handle, a speaker bolt, or a T-nut has come loose.

But if you hear a buzz on the individual speaker, you know it's got an issue.

Good luck!

Jim
i opened my speaker many times and i tried to locate the problem...did mono stereo test, same problem....
can i wire each speaker only somehow? and not damage the box?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PelliX

Reaction score
can i wire each speaker only somehow?

Hook the speaker up to your cable with the alligator/spade terminal clips. Set the amp low, around 25-30w, and use the frequency knob to test the speaker.

Yes, try digesting what Jim suggested.

and not damage the box?

Some individuals posses an uncanny capability to inadvertently reduce the MTBF for equipment they own by a considerable factor. It would appear this gift has been bestowed on you. Only you can judge this.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
MTBF, damn, I haven't heard that acronym for awhile. LOL

@bobbyvasco Follow my instructions and you should isolate the issues(s). You may just have loose plastic handles, they'll cause a crappy buzz...which is why I make my 60's replica handles.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
i tried with my handles off
Ok, there could still be loose baffle board screws, loose T-Nuts that hold in the speaker screws. I had a client who had a horrible noise coming from his Bogner cab with V30's. Brought the cab over, we tested all four speakers, they were all good. Looked at his hardware and he had two T-nuts that were loose. Replaced those with new ones, mounted the speakers and the horrible noise was gone.

There's a lot of potential places to check, and you need to systematically go through each one to eliminate any issues. After 20 years plus of doing this, I've seen some really weird shit happen.

I think you've still got some more things to check.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Ok, there could still be loose baffle board screws, loose T-Nuts that hold in the speaker screws. I had a client who had a horrible noise coming from his Bogner cab with V30's. Brought the cab over, we tested all four speakers, they were all good. Looked at his hardware and he had two T-nuts that were loose. Replaced those with new ones, mounted the speakers and the horrible noise was gone.

There's a lot of potential places to check, and you need to systematically go through each one to eliminate any issues. After 20 years plus of doing this, I've seen some really weird shit happen.

I think you've still got some more things to check.
i tightened all the nuts of course on speaker and on front baffle
no difference
i want to take all speakers out and keep one to test it and isolate noise more but i dont know how o wire the only 1 speaker