Dots on a Gibson Les Paul yay or nay?

• Thread starter Kolanti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GregM

Reaction score
I'm with Mr Ed. on this one. That's a Neigh from me

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them all, dot, trapezoid, block, but I think I lean toward the trapezoid inlay a bit. Maybe it depends on the finish though, I hadn’t really thought about that.

I do prefer the block inlays on LP Customs, probably because it’s always been that way.

I’ve always liked natural finished guitars, and bindings,... but sometimes not together. I have a natural finish Gibson Studio LP, that imo looks better without bindings.

It seems to me that plastic binding would not add to the aesthetics of the guitar, it would actually detract from the beauty of the natural finish imo. I rarely say that though, I must admit.

Last edited:

Sparky2

Reaction score
Both of my LP's have dots, and I like them, as that is what I learned on. Trapezoids or other large inlays are beautiful. However, I do not like inlays at the 1st fret, as on some models. They are just a distraction. I know where the nut is, and don't need that marker.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I'm fine with either dots or trapezoids, really doesn't matter as long as the guitar sounds good. I'm just not crazy about birds, snakes, skulls, occult symbols, or anything else that's distracting. I like birds and snakes, just not on my guitars. :D

Kolanti

Reaction score
I like them all, dot, trapezoid, block, but I think I lean toward the trapezoid inlay a bit. Maybe it depends on the finish though, I hadn’t really thought about that.

I do prefer the block inlays on LP Customs, maybe because it’s always been that way.

I’ve always liked natural finished guitars, and bindings,... but sometimes not together. I have a natural finish Gibson Studio LP, that imo looks better without bindings.

It seems to me that plastic binding would not add to the aesthetics of the guitar, it would actually detract from the beauty of the natural finish imo. I rarely say that though, I must admit.

bro this is the most beautiful studio i ever saw and i absolutely despise studios and tributes. the maple top is so good. what pickups do you have in it?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
bro this is the most beautiful studio i ever saw and i absolutely despise studios and tributes. the maple top is so good. what pickups do you have in it?
Thanks man, they’re Dimarzio,... a 36th Anniversary, (DP223), in the neck and a AT-1, (DP224), in the bridge.

Yeah the guitar plays and sounds great, Gibson made them for only 3 years, 06-08. It’s listed as a Studio Premium Plus.

Besides the flame top this particular one came through with a beautiful flame mahogany neck and headstock, which is weird for a budget Les Paul.

Sorry for the huge pic. :shrug:

neikeel

Reaction score
Don’t forget parallelograms too.
Dots on special and 335, both bound and dotty.
Trapezoids on my R0 and Martyn Booth sig.
parallelograms on my MB classic. I want a 345 too but that is way down priority list.
All the above have the same 60s neck.

Brek

Reaction score

I do prefer the block inlays on LP Customs, maybe because it’s always been that way.

thats a great looking guitar doesn't need anything else.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I prefer those crown inlays but dots on an LP Studio (from the 90's) are fine.