The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
picked me up a new point & shoot bridge camera...

I got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500. Interestingly, I couldn't find anything too recent, that fit my criteria. This is a 2017 model. At the time, they were making digital cameras for Leica. I was looking at the Leica equivalent, but, they are 3x's the price, & unobtainable. Leica moved on from the 'super zoom', to a more compact, flat camera w/ a small lens.

these are not really photographic compositions as much as they are testing quality of image & color. All shot indoors, no flash.

View attachment 158691
Nice camera. Colors look neutral to me. I like Canon's color profile a lot because it makes photos pop, but sometimes I set it to neutral because not everything looks good with vibrant colors. Like if I was taking a picture of something with subdued colors, like machinery in a stone quarry where there's a lot of gray, or in the woods on a cloudy November day and you're trying to catch the vibe of the grays and browns - I'd want detail over vibrant colors.

This summer I picked up the widest lens Canon makes for their R-series cameras. It's a 10-18mm, f/4.5-6.3. So for me it's 16-29mm, effectively. I bought it because I'm finding that some photos I take are missing something; like I get home and look at a shot I took of a subject, and it doesn't have the vibe I was trying to capture- like it just looks isolated; it just looks like "a thing". My assumption is that what's missing is the context that the subject is in - nothing else around it is in the photo. I've tried backing away or zooming out, but then you just end up with a smaller looking subject. My thinking is that, with a wide angle lens, I can get the full size of the subject while including more of its context, and therefore, the photo would have more character, and tell more of a "story". One thing I learned with the wide angle lens, is that's how they make the insides of campers, RV's, cars and trucks, look so big. You see these photos of small pop-up campers, and they look so spacious inside. Then you walk into one, and you're like "we can't fit 2 people in here let alone 6". LOL!

Example:

Like, here's your pop-up camper, right?
1728106721564.png

Here's what it looks like inside with a wide angle lens. :rofl:
1728106768223.png

I exaggerated to make a point. :D

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I was really hoping to get lots of cool shots of hummingbirds and butterflies this summer, but it didn't work out. My wife set up a bunch of hummingbird feeders, and built a butterfly garden. But there was only one hummingbird all summer, who would come and perch in the top of a bush every day. We ended up naming him "George". We got zero butterflies. Taking photos of birds alone was a tough lesson: it's very difficult to get good shots of birds, because the little buggers won't stay still for one second. I set the camera up to take multiple shots at a time, but that's still pretty futile.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I was really hoping to get lots of cool shots of hummingbirds and butterflies this summer, but it didn't work out. My wife set up a bunch of hummingbird feeders, and built a butterfly garden. But there was only one hummingbird all summer, who would come and perch in the top of a bush every day. We ended up naming him "George". We got zero butterflies. Taking photos of birds alone was a tough lesson: it's very difficult to get good shots of birds, because the little buggers won't stay still for one second. I set the camera up to take multiple shots at a time, but that's still pretty futile.
you need a longer lens & distance...

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
you need a longer lens & distance...
I have a 100-400mm lens, and was at a proper distance. Another big problem is that my tripod is a cheap $40 Zomei from Amazon. It's ok for smaller lenses, but with that big 400mm lens, I have to tighten the camera down so much to keep the lens from drooping, that it doesn't rotate smoothly; it skips all over and it's impossible to frame a shot. By then the days were getting really hot and humid, and I just gave up on birds for the season.

You can clearly see from the illustration below, just how much downward force the 400mm lens was putting on my tripod:

1728156634322.png

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a 100-400mm lens, and was at a proper distance. Another big problem is that my tripod is a cheap $40 Zomei from Amazon. It's ok for smaller lenses, but with that big 400mm lens, I have to tighten the camera down so much to keep the lens from drooping, that it doesn't rotate smoothly; it skips all over and it's impossible to frame a shot. By then the days were getting really hot and humid, and I just gave up on birds for the season.

You can clearly see from the illustration below, just how much downward force the 400mm lens was putting on my tripod:

View attachment 158742
always mount long lenses by the lens' mount, not the camera...
1728156634322 copy.jpg

ever try a monopod? (still use lens' mount, not camera)

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
no color correction on any of these...

View attachment 158694
That's your LP Classic 1960, right? 498R / 500T's? I had a '99 honeyburst. They were $1,300 back then. It's the guitar I used on the SPANKT tracks (I might have already told you that). I loved it until I wore the frets off it. I eventually sold it and bought a new one the same color as yours, in 2007. By then they were $1,700, and chambered. Great guitars.

1728273521730.jpeg

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
1728454394322.png

1728454853689.png

1728455599156.png

1728455132501.png

One of the camera's built-in digital filters:
1728455902379.png

1728455705503.png

1728456101373.png

1728456170034.png

A few of my gears during a storage room cleanup.
1728456718681.png

My current ride. Mazda CX-5. Bright red, so I can find it in the big parking lots. (I have bad dreams about being lost and unable to find my car. I wonder what it means.)
1728457111823.png

Last edited: