Doug Aldrich Tone

• Thread starter Goosey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marival

Reaction score
thats funny,... they actually have used VERY similar rigs over the years....

JCM 800 ....check
Humbucker equiped guitar. .....check [sometimes for beck]
Floating trem set up. . ........check
few stompboxes for boost or eq.. . ...check

pretty much the same shit,... kk runs tons of gain JB doesn't,....

and they still sound like themselves

Kerry King ,.... that dude would never sound like jeff beck if jeff beck handed his guitar right to him. KK doesn't have the skilzz to pull off Jeff Beck tone, no matter what he would play.

Well that's just great, isn't it? Pick one sentence (incidentally the most hypothetic and least meaningful) and take a dump on it. And a bad one, at that.

It doesn't really matter that their gear is rather similar (or more similar than people would think). It's not the same.

Yes. They sound like themselves. What a revelation, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

And then you even get into who the better guitarist is? I'm not even going to touch that with a 50 ft. pole. They are both notable guitarists with very different styles. Both of them do what they do frightfully well. Can't hate on that.

You may try again, sir.

zachman

Reaction score
Well that's just great, isn't it? Pick one sentence (incidentally the most hypothetic and least meaningful) and take a dump on it. And a bad one, at that.

It doesn't really matter that their gear is rather similar (or more similar than people would think). It's not the same.

Yes. They sound like themselves. What a revelation, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

And then you even get into who the better guitarist is? I'm not even going to touch that with a 50 ft. pole. They are both notable guitarists with very different styles. Both of them do what they do frightfully well. Can't hate on that.

You may try again, sir.

NOT arguing w/ you at all. WE are in agreement here. The following commentary is a showing of solidarity

Bottom line-- take ANY player you choose-- plug them into an ES335 and a Polytone Mini Brute ONLY-- Then plug them into a Marshall Plexi SL and CRANK it, and hand them a Strat, then a Les Paul. IF you can't hear a difference in tone, you are freakin deaf. And... I guarantee I can produce tones through this, that NOBODY and I mean NOBODY can produce, without the gear additions PERIOD... I don't give a shit who they are. ANY arguments about it is pure denial of facts.

It's not just the notes we play or the way we play them, it's also the sonic colors and textures, that gear brings to the table and makes possible which make up tone... Deal with it

currentrack.jpg

rig733.jpg

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
NOT arguing w/ you at all. WE are in agreement here. The following commentary is a showing of solidarity

Bottom line-- take ANY player you choose-- plug them into an ES335 and a Polytone Mini Brute ONLY-- Then plug them into a Marshall Plexi SL and CRANK it, and hand them a Strat, then a Les Paul. IF you can't hear a difference in tone, you are freakin deaf. And... I guarantee I can produce tones through this, that NOBODY and I mean NOBODY can produce, without the gear additions PERIOD... I don't give a shit who they are. ANY arguments about it is pure denial of facts.

It's not just the notes we play or the way we play them, it's also the sonic colors and textures, that gear brings to the table and makes possible which make up tone... Deal with it

currentrack.jpg

rig733.jpg

I love how when you get into a debate with someone you always post up these pictures of your Rig-Zilla as if its is supposed to 'prove' something,.... Like i'm supposed to go 'wow, this guy must know his shit'

Well im not impressed,... I had pretty much that same rig in 1989,... 3 1/2 stacks and a rack of shit as tall as me,.... thank god i finally got past all that...

The only thing this proves is that you Really do believe that the tone is in the gear,... well, i already knew you felt that way.

Last edited:

The Ozzk

Reaction score

You may try again, sir.

Dude you're not implying that KK is just as good as JB right? :wow:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
In this case ''Tone'' is what I consider the final product that will travel to people's ears. And I'm sorry, but there's just no way that your fingers account for 90% of that. That's way too much.

The ''cleaner'' your rig is, the more your fingers will matter. What I mean by that is the less crap you have between the player and the amp, the more your fingers matter in your playing.

Fingers don't boost mids. Fingers don't overdrive an amp. Fingers don't replicate a cocked wah. Just a few examples.

If you say you have enjoyed a thirty year long career in this field, you should know that gear, be it amps, guitars or effects, matters a WHOLE lot more than the measly 10% you give it credit for.

I'd work on your technique ... playing dynamics (such as the ability to play clean or overdrive the amp w/just your fingers) can be a critical component depending on the style you play (very important for some, not so important for others). Nevertheless, that's an inaccurate statement.

zachman

Reaction score
I love how when you get into a debate with someone you always post up these pictures of you Rig-Zilla as if its is supposed to 'prove' something,.... Like i'm supposed to go 'wow, this guy must know his shit'

Well im not impressed,... I had pretty much that same rig in 1989,... 3 1/2 stacks and a rack of shit as tall as me,.... thank god i finally got past all that...

The only thing this proves is that you Really do believe that the tone is in the gear,... well, i already knew you felt that way.

Way to not address the points I made... Good job.

Your flawed conclusion of what I believe isn't surprising-- BUT, I believe tone starts and ends in the brain, and it gets there via the ears, through sound waves traveling through the air, produced by gear-- being manipulated by a player.

Conclusion: It ALL matters.

No gear= NO Tone, Style, Sound, NOTHING

No Player= NO Tone, Style, Sound, NOTHING

Last edited:

zachman

Reaction score
This is the right answer ... and it also demonstrates why both sides of this debate have merit. Both Wycked & Zach are 100% correct ... the only thing is that they're not mutually exclusive ... it's a combination of both, guys.

I have said this from the very beginning.

zenfly

Reaction score
I'd work on your technique ... playing dynamics (such as the ability to play clean or overdrive the amp w/just your fingers) can be a critical component depending on the style you play (very important for some, not so important for others). Nevertheless, that's an inaccurate statement.

Exactly.. so many ask what pedals/ what amp etc.. You can buy a Ferrari but it doesn't make you a race driver.. Doug is a picking master that can get several tones just by what he's doing with his pick and you could plug 100 guitar players through his stuff and I'll bet none sound like him..

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Exactly.. so many ask what pedals/ what amp etc.. You can buy a Ferrari but it doesn't make you a race driver.. Doug is a picking master that can get several tones just by what he's doing with his pick and you could plug 100 guitar players through his stuff and I'll bet none sound like him..

Precisely. In fact, my tone changes (albeit slightly) by simply changing the way I hold the pick ... meaning, if I hold it w/my thumb and forefinger, I get a slightly different tone than holding it w/my thumb and middle finger (it's because of the way my fingers wind up hitting the strings ... specifically, when I hold it w/my middle & thumb, my finger gets in the mix a bit and thickens up the tone a bit ... hard to describe, sorry) ... funny enough, I had learned this in the same scenario as described above by LesPaulopolis (meaning, I realized this around the same time that I realized the thickness of my pick will change my tone).

zachman

Reaction score

That all may be true, BUT if you're trying to be a race driver, you'll likely set better lap times in a Ferrari than a mini van, of course-- (duh) assuming you can actually drive well. Just saying, AND even Schumaker will get better lap times in a Ferrari than a mini van, so too will Doug w/ his preferred gear than a battery powered Pig Nose, get his characteristic Tone--

Marival

Reaction score

You're missing the point.

Let's take the JVM410H. Nobody will be able to make the Clean Green mode sound like the Amber Crunch mode with just their fingers. Sure, there is a myriad of ways to coax tones out of a guitar with your fingers. I never denied that. At the same time there's also a myriad of amps and guitars, each yielding their own distinct sound. Some more different than others. And yeah, given the correct amp setting, you can actually either overdrive your sound or clean it up just by picking differently.

I can assure you that the ''technique'' you urge me to work on is being used and practised regularly. I may not be a master but I make it work, thank you very much.

Lastly I'd like to point out that neither I nor Zach have said that gear is all that matters. I'd like a quote proving me wrong if anyone disagrees.

Seriously guys, I'm getting tired of having to point out stuff that I've never claimed. Please read before you post.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

Let's take the JVM410H. Nobody will be able to make the Clean Green mode sound like the Amber Crunch mode with just their fingers. Sure, there is a myriad of ways to coax tones out of a guitar with your fingers. I never denied that. At the same time there's also a myriad of amps and guitars, each yielding their own distinct sound. Some more different than others. And yeah, given the correct amp setting, you can actually either overdrive your sound or clean it up just by picking differently.

I can assure you that the ''technique'' you urge me to work on is being used and practised regularly. I may not be a master but I make it work, thank you very much.

Lastly I'd like to point out that neither I nor Zach have said that gear is all that matters. I'd like a quote proving me wrong if anyone disagrees.

Seriously guys, I'm getting tired of having to point out stuff that I've never claimed. Please read before you post.

I did read it ... in fact, I highlighted it in red. We just disagree ... it's cool.

albertlespaul

Reaction score
You can buy a Ferrari but it doesn't make you a race driver..

buying a Ferrari = tone
being a good racing driver = style

In my opinion Doug has both tone and style. But if you don't have his style, you're still gonna have fun if you have a tone as good as his and without a good tone your style is useless.

Tone is only what comes out of the setup, it's all there... of course you need to have some style to access the tones.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

Btw., my apologies if that came across the wrong way (i read it again, and i can see how that might come across a bit snotty) ... I didn't intend to suggest that you were a poor player, or lacked technique ... was just a poorly worded way of trying to throw in my 2 cents. I'm really very sorry for the way it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts