DSL & 2203 compared...

• Thread starter maltone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maltone

Reaction score
I really liked that lead tone in the second video. It sounds almost Joe Perry-esque to me. Like something from the Permanent Vacation album. A bit like Slash's lead tone too.

In that context yes, it does sound good. In my case, because I'm such a linear straight forward rhythm player, I don't look beyond certain tones - I'm kind of biased, and probably a bit narrow minded that way - particularly with rock, or heavy rock.

Now, talk about The Beatles, or Tom Petty, The Kinks, All the classic stuff - I'm more partial to that. I never really liked heavy saturation in guitar sounds - unless you're talking about Sabbath, or Randy Rhoads' tone on the Blizzard of Oz & Diary of a Madman albums. I LOVE those albums, because the SONGS are so strong, and his playing just highlighted that. Those guys were all great players.

That's why I like AC/DC so much. They're so stripped down and raw. It's that clean - slightly over-driven cha-chang that Malcolm gets out of his Gretsch and Marshall. I just never tire of hearing it - particularly the older stuff. I hate hearing thunderstruck all the time on CHEZ. It's like, C'mon, there are so many other songs you could play by them from the Powerage or High Voltage albums that a lot of younger people might have never heard.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: DSL & 2203 compared... KEN...

QUESTION 2:
If we made a list of values used on the DSL's clean/crunch circuit, and replicated those values in a turret board, hand wired version, would they sound the same?

I find myself wondering about this as well - on a few different models of guitar amps. And with the DSL and TSL, with all the connectors and traces and wires, makes me wonder if that contributes to certain bad sounding things that I hear in my DSL and TSL.

Ken, I think you're bang on there. It's so completely reasonable to me, but not my wife! She thinks I'm nuts. "You're going to sell the 2nd amp you've bought for yet another one? When will it be ENOUGH?"

I've been through one VM 50 watt, thought it was the sound, it wasn't.
Tried the Fender Supersonic 22 watt - LOVE this amp, but isn't getting me where I want to feel it.

Then, this DSL 100. I'm obsessing about it, because that classic channel, or green channel just blew my mind. The definition, oomhp, warmth, and immediacy of the chords, the articulation of each string etc.

It almost felt like when a woman puts her hand on your thigh under a table in a bar, and gives you a squeeze - and you just KNOW what it means by how it feels. It was that kind of moment. The sound is clear, punchy, yet not too clean. Slight grit when you dig in. That's one of the best sounds in the world!

Yeah, if you are the picture of Gear Insanity to your Wife, just have her look into the likes of myself along with a good percentage of the hangers on in this forum. I have more amps than I will EVER need in my lifetime. And I still am wanting other models of amps that I do not have.

Then you had to remind me of that Orange 120 I played in the Vintage room at a Guitar Center many years ago. Had my main Superstrat there with me and plugged straight into that Orange. Just like you I was hooked immediately. The price was quite expensive, as Guitar Center is a bit crazy with prices on the Vintage stuff. But that was many years ago and I had to just erase that memory of the Orange amp out of my mind . . . Until I just read your post.

Thanks maltone!

:D

That feeling that you were describing about finding that awesome tone when you plug into something new? Yeah, I had that experience with my '84 4010 as well. And I had plugged my guitar straight into the amp using it's one 12 inch speaker only. I was blown away.

Now I can't figure out what has happened to ME quite a few years later and MANY amps later. I plug into these amps here at home - and it seems like something is just not right with them tonally. I have to pull out other amps to compare for reference to make sure if it is the amp . . . or me. And lately is has been me!

I think I am going through some type of musical depression because I have not been playing out now for over a month or maybe two?? Anyway, we are now without a drummer and things were already bleek before that anyway. So now I have to find a way to get myself back to that feeling of what you are going through right now - being excited about your gear AND your music. I am hoping my 2555 build project will help snap me out of this funk.

plexifier

Reaction score
Hey maltone,

AC/DC are my favorite Marshall tones and I've spent a lot of time buying, building, modding, etc. in that quest.

If you really like Malcolm's tone you should try a 100w super lead or super bass if you get a chance. They aren't as readily available or as cheap but maybe you could find a good pre-built kit if you don't want to build one.

Not that DSL's or 2203's are bad but they wouldn't be my first choice for that kind of tone. Both of them can get pretty close but a plexi style circuit sounds better for that medium gain rhythm crunch. If I had to choose between a DSL and a 2203 I'd take the 2203 for sure.

If by chance you've tried the Marshall reissues and didn't like them, don't let that discourage you. The 1987 sounds fairly good (not as good as the originals but decent). The 1959 RI's are quite different from a good original. They sound thin and harsh compared to originals or a good kit. A few easy mods can tame the brightness but they still don't sound as fat and ballsy as a good one.

I rebuilt a 1959 RI with new parts and it was a night and day difference. The only original parts are the PT and pots. Upgrading the OT, coupling caps, etc. totally changed the amp. No comparison.

Good luck!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I really liked that lead tone in the second video. It sounds almost Joe Perry-esque to me. Like something from the Permanent Vacation album. A bit like Slash's lead tone too.

In that context yes, it does sound good. In my case, because I'm such a linear straight forward rhythm player, I don't look beyond certain tones - I'm kind of biased, and probably a bit narrow minded that way - particularly with rock, or heavy rock.

Now, talk about The Beatles, or Tom Petty, The Kinks, All the classic stuff - I'm more partial to that. I never really liked heavy saturation in guitar sounds - unless you're talking about Sabbath, or Randy Rhoads' tone on the Blizzard of Oz & Diary of a Madman albums. I LOVE those albums, because the SONGS are so strong, and his playing just highlighted that. Those guys were all great players.

That's why I like AC/DC so much. They're so stripped down and raw. It's that clean - slightly over-driven cha-chang that Malcolm gets out of his Gretsch and Marshall. I just never tire of hearing it - particularly the older stuff. I hate hearing thunderstruck all the time on CHEZ. It's like, C'mon, there are so many other songs you could play by them from the Powerage or High Voltage albums that a lot of younger people might have never heard.

Totally. I love all those cool tones, from Tom Petty, Rhoads, Sabbath, AC/DC. Yeah.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally. I love all those cool tones, from Tom Petty, Rhoads, Sabbath, AC/DC. Yeah.

I am with you and maltone on those tones for sure. I grew up on the Beatles guitar tones. Revolver has always been an album that blew me away for all the varied guitar sounds on it - for the time period. The White Album and Abbey Road as well. Then I read that Sgt. Pepper was recorded using Vox solid state guitar amps?!?! LOL

Good stuff there with your STP tribute band j'. I seen STP live about 6 months ago. I was right in front of the stage in a fairly small venue. Awesome guitar tones AND bass to say the least.

maltone

Reaction score
Re: DSL & 2203 compared... KEN...

Ricky, such is the human condition... I'm actually a drummer. I "HACK" my way with rhythm, riffs and chords - I can play with good feel and timing, and I can nail Malcolm's feel. I've been mocked and laughed at by someone in another forum because I don't have my "own style, and chasing another guitar legend's sound, but I really don't give a FU*K. It makes me feel good, and it's an homage to his sound, style, ability to write some of the best rock n' roll I've ever heard.

That musical depression thing, yep, been there, still am sometimes. I sit at my drum kit some days and think "I SUCK". Other days, friends will come over with a bass guitar, and I can play all those James Brown and old soul and R & B tunes like a champ. And I'll get "man you're so in the pocket" - that gives me a sense of wanting to play more. It's hard when you're not playing with people to feed off of each other.

That excitement you describe about gear and being into music in general.. It comes and goes I think - even for "pro" artists like some of our heroes. When I've become like that, I usually listen to the music that first sparked something in me, kind of a.. "this is your thing, and this is what you're about." it's self affirming, or kind of centers you. I love John Bonham, one of my fav's. So when I think I'm sucking playing the drums, I put on some of their stuff. I think AND play in a kind of... "keep it simple stupid" mode - just feel the groove, even if you don't have all the chops down to the letter.

I can be repetitive though, playing the same old stuff, not learning enough new stuff - not getting better (technically). You get down on your own playing, which then puts you into that depression you mentioned - you are so not alone. It's very common.

But then I'll wake up one day, and just have a tune in my head, something more involved, not straight ahead rock n' roll, or R&B, Funk etc. In one case it was Rosalinda's Eyes by Billy Joel. Liberty Devitto plays this latin groove shuffle, not terribly complicated, but it puts your mind into another place - something a bit out of your comfort zone. That's when I get hungry and interested again.

maltone

Reaction score
Plexifier... Yeah, to be honest, I'm really not that good enough to justify owning that kind of amp. I'm not in an AC/DC cover band, I don't even play live - ever.

I just wanted that tone to play along to those albums in my basement when I get the urge. To friend's of mine, it's nuts. But I don't do drugs or buy, don't drink very much, I don't gamble etc. So to me it's a small investment that gives a great deal of joy.

That JCM 2000 - through my TV Jones pickup was as close to those recorded tones I've heard so far. It was partly the cabinet the 1936, the pickup, the amp setting. You'd laugh at me, but I was on the clean/crunch channel. The master volume was at about 2.5 to 3, the gain at about 2-3, and that did it for me.

I'll probably be more likely to turn the master up to 4, and keep the gain very modest. I swear to god, in that room, that setting, whatever it was, the chords I played sounded almost exactly like the big E and G chords you hear in the intro to "What do you do for money honey" on the Back In Black album. It really was that good.

But, I got a very similar sound through my brother's TSL 122 - not my favorite sounding amp, way too much gain for me. But on the classic crunch setting, even he was blown away. I give the credit to the pickup. Man, if you've never heard a TV Jones Classic Plus Bridge, WOW. You have to get yourself one. They are so dynamic, articulate, rich and balanced sounding.

maltone

Reaction score
I should have written just one post for all 3 of you. This is turning into typing class in grade 9 all over again!

There really is so much good music. Here's one off the cuff... I always loved Lindsey Buckingham's playing style. It's not hard rock format, but the melody and arrangements that Fleetwood Mac had... they're brilliant.