DSL 40c vs DSL 50

• Thread starter MrDowntown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Thanks...
I did listen, to all 3 actually, but since you mentioned the first clip solely, I took note of that one; very solid tone. On that clip, you mic'd the 40c?, or a cab? Either way sounded good. appreciate the heads up on that. :hbang:

Thanks MD , it's a work in progress.I mic'd the 40c with the 12" emanence speaker in it. I will mic the 2 x 12 cab when I record it.

Jammers5

Reaction score
The DSL 50 is tough to beat and gets a lot of respect on this forum. Between the three amps mentioned the DSL 50 sounds like it will fit you well.

I've never found it too bright as some claim. The amp is equipped with a presence and treble knob and most guitars are equipped with a tone.

I'm firm believer in making sure the amp is properly biased. Marshall recommends a way too high bias and many members will affirm that setting it lower tames a lot of the purported fuzz and tightens the amplifier significantly.

I sold a DSL50 and 1936 cabinet a few years back to fund the very expensive Dr Z ZWreck. I have missed that amp a lot - so much that when one came up recently at a BARGAIN I jumped on it! It came with a Traynor 2x12 cabinet with greenbacks - which I hated. I really hate those Chinese Greenbacks. For a while I was questioning why the heck I liked the DSL50 the first time, cuz this one sounded like crap! Then one day I tried it with my Alnico Gold and Alnico Blue loaded Zwreck cab and it sounded "ok". I dropped the bias little and it sounded better, but not enough to keep it so I threw it up on the local classifieds....the DSL love was gone.

A few days ago I was on the classified sites and what was for sale? A Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head and a Marshall 1960A Lead cabinet - for a song! I went out played around with it for 10 mins and bought it! I figured since the DSL50 was't selling maybe i'd have better luck offering it as a half stack. Got it home, I was playing around with all the options the H&K offers, never even tried the DSL 50 thru it until today. When I did HOLY SMOKES! There was the Marshall sound I was missing! G12-75's are the perfect match! Lots of bottom end,everything from classic rock crunch to metal overdrive in spades!

The moral of this story? Get a DSL50, drop the bias to the high 30's or low 40's and GET THE RIGHT CABINET! The DSL50 is the way to go for versatility and "The Marshall Sound!" My ad is off the classifieds....but if anyone is interested in a H&K Switchblade 100 watt head PM me!

J5

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Dude...that seems like a killer deal for me. :applause:
Amp's in the mail... ;)

On a more serious note... you tried out yesterday a 40c... are you liking it more than your initial thoughts? The 70/80 speaker still lack punch, or did you test a different 40c/speaker combo?

And i ask specifically about the speaker as result of the "breaking in " period. I'm sure it's more than myth and lore... but what is the "break in" period with moderate to extended play?

Don't judge the amp by my attempt at playing the guitar . lol
2 x 12 carvin cab with their version of vintage 30 / 200w cab.
I did do some post editing. I did the rhythm with my bc rich mockingbird / bridge only (emg-81, tone on 10 volume about 5) straight in , crappy lead with sd-1 overdrive on.
the amp was at about 1 on the master 9 on gain. T /M @ 12:00 bass was at 9:00. I thought the bass was a little low for the closed back cab but I ran out of time. My net book battery died. I was going to do a couple more takes and mess with it. It has been quite a while since I used the cab in fact after buying the texas heat speaker I have not needed it. I did buy it for jamming with a drummer. I hope this helps.
https://soundcloud.com/jamn_2006/x-12-cab-dsl40c

Last edited:

MrDowntown

Reaction score
Don't judge the amp by my attempt at playing the guitar . lol
2 x 12 carvin cab with their version of vintage 30 / 200w cab.
I did do some post editing. I did the rhythm bc rich mockingbird / bridge only (emg-81, tone on 10 volume about 5) straight in , crappy lead with sd-1 overdrive on.
the amp wad at about 1 on the master 9 on gain. T /M @ 12:00 bass was at 9:00. I thought it was a little low for the closed back cab but I ran out of time. My net book battery died. I was going to do a couple more takes and mess with it. It has been quite a while since I used the cab in fact after buying the texas heat I have not needed it. I did buy it for jamming with a drummer. I hope this helps.
https://soundcloud.com/jamn_2006/x-12-cab-dsl40c

@ibmorjamn I really appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

I think I have a fair idea of what this amp may do through a (bigger) cabinet.

Thanks,
mdt

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks.

Different question then....tsl 60 head vs DSL 50 head? And at this point perhaps I am trying to split the subjective hairs.....

Mdt

Both these amps are great. TSL has a modern tone compared to the DSL which is more classic toned on the green channel and a bit more modern on the red.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I also played the DSL40C many times in hopes of having a different opinion, I loved the format of it. But no, I always walked away dissappointed. I know another guy who bought one and tried different speakers in it to make it better, different tubes to no avail. In the end he had to just get a different amp. A DSL50 with a 1936 2x12 is pretty awesome and versatile, and more portable than you would think. :yesway:

MrDowntown

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the feedback and opinions/guidance. I've yet to make up my mind...so many choices, so little $$'s, so much want....

I've played the 40c once, really twice; once at the GC and the other at SamAsh at my closest bigbox store (an hour away). I will likely head back up this weekend, and give her one more go before pulling the trigger on something.

mdt

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
I got a dsl50 head today and it is killer......funny thing is that after I ordered it I was offered a 40c for a guitar that i don't play much anymore so I took it.....it sounds great too....sounds alot better than the 401 I had.....gonna try them both through a 4x12 tomorrow night.....from what I can tell though,not alot of difference..will see tomorrow

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, the DSL50 is 10 louder, innit?

IMO the DSL40 is horrible in comparison to a DSL50. Get the 50, no mods required.

I wouldn't quite say the DSL40C is "horrible", but the new so-called "reissues" aren't the same. I recommend the DSL50 and a 1960AV cab. (A regular 1960 will suffice.)

Len

Reaction score
I posed this same question on the BIG DSL Thread..., but does anyone know of, has has heard of a soundclip/demo of the 40c hooked to an extension cab (of some sort)? I am anxious to hear what the bugger sounds like through a proper 212...

mdt

Most of the clips here are my DSL40, converted to a head, and through a 1936 cab (C19 mod too):

https://www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence/

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
Played the dsl 50 and 40c through a 4x12 tonight with the same settings,resonance to zero on the combo, and there was little to no difference in tone or volume even......the head was a little smoother but that could be biasing or preamp tubes,not sure of the history of the head.......the resonance control is a very cool addition over that deep switch..........

Last edited:

Msharky67

Reaction score
I also played the DSL40C many times in hopes of having a different opinion, I loved the format of it. But no, I always walked away dissappointed. I know another guy who bought one and tried different speakers in it to make it better, different tubes to no avail. In the end he had to just get a different amp. A DSL50 with a 1936 2x12 is pretty awesome and versatile, and more portable than you would think. :yesway:

The DSL50 and 1936 is my setup. It always sounds great and am using very old G12T75's in it. I am still Gassing for a DSL40c though. I never liked the original DSL40 combo had one of those too and wish they made it like the head. So now the DSL40c matching the head that is why I want one. I just wanted a good combo that does everything good and looks sharp too. Sucks there isn't the other. Still wished to get something with a different tonal range other than a DSL but it looks like that is never going to happen and doesn't cost a small fortune. A Modern JCM800 combo with extra features would be close. Have to see what the new line is but I am not feeling good about it. Time will tell. Keep saving up!:hbang:

jlinde1973

Reaction score
I like the dsl40c better than the 50. With a speaker, tube and c19 swap that is. Lead 1 is just killer. The resonance knob has much better control of the bass over the on/off button of the 50. But the reverb is much better on the 50.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
can i sidetrack this a bit and ask how you dsl40c guys set your resonance? i was doing some recording recently on ultra lead 2, felt that the more resonance you added, that although it does increase the bass and "oomph", you lose mids and it becomes all bass and treble with nothing between. really weird. i ended up with resonance around 1 on the dial, that seemed to add oomph without thinning out the sound. maybe it matters what volume youre at? i was way up there at 7 or 8, though very little gain (1.5 or so) so not as loud as it couldve been.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
I like the resonance and bass way up around 7-8. Clean 1 and lead 1 are the only channels I use though... Those setting would be too bassy on clean or lead 2 IMO.

Len

Reaction score
can i sidetrack this a bit and ask how you dsl40c guys set your resonance? i was doing some recording recently on ultra lead 2, felt that the more resonance you added, that although it does increase the bass and "oomph", you lose mids and it becomes all bass and treble with nothing between. really weird. i ended up with resonance around 1 on the dial, that seemed to add oomph without thinning out the sound. maybe it matters what volume youre at? i was way up there at 7 or 8, though very little gain (1.5 or so) so not as loud as it couldve been.

I don't like too much resonance or presence, or it makes the sound too "natural" to me. I keep both at 9 o'clock.

Moony

Reaction score
You can see resonance and presence as tone controls of the power amp. So the best settings depend on how much you crank the amp and of course on the cab and its speakers.

Latest posts