dsl100 awfully quiet.

• Thread starter ariansyaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ariansyaz

Reaction score
hi all. extreme noob to valve amps here. need help figuring out whats wrong with my dsl100. i've been searching through the threads for days now but i couldnt find the answer, although i know i've seen it somewhere in here...
well, days ago, i was setting up , switched on the dsl100 pwr switch on to let it warm up . then a light crackling sound came on . it sounded like there was a small electrical arc happening somewhere. but no burning smell, no spark, no popping. i checked behind the head and all the tubes were lit up orange, not too bright but seems just nice. about 5 minutes later i plugged in my guitar and switched on the standby switch and no sound came out of it. For info, i have the dsl100 connected to a brand new 1936 cab running on Mono 8 ohms head and cab , and everything in the dsl is as original as it gets.. i have tried different cables, different guitars and cabs but no joy. it did work a few days before without any problems but now not a single sound comes out. please help. i hope i havnt ruined my new amp.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
hi all. extreme noob to valve amps here. need help figuring out whats wrong with my dsl100. i've been searching through the threads for days now but i couldnt find the answer, although i know i've seen it somewhere in here...
well, days ago, i was setting up , switched on the dsl100 pwr switch on to let it warm up . then a light crackling sound came on . it sounded like there was a small electrical arc happening somewhere. but no burning smell, no spark, no popping. i checked behind the head and all the tubes were lit up orange, not too bright but seems just nice. about 5 minutes later i plugged in my guitar and switched on the standby switch and no sound came out of it. For info, i have the dsl100 connected to a brand new 1936 cab running on Mono 8 ohms head and cab , and everything in the dsl is as original as it gets.. i have tried different cables, different guitars and cabs but no joy. it did work a few days before without any problems but now not a single sound comes out. please help. i hope i havnt ruined my new amp.

It might be the first pre amp tube.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Does the 16ohm output work?
Has the cabinet ever worked?
Have you tried different output tubes?

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Does the 16ohm output work?
Has the cabinet ever worked?
Have you tried different output tubes?

+1
Good point. It could be the speaker output jack. If the 16ohm works then it is likely the jack. They are a cheap part and fix.

TheShadowNinja

Reaction score
For info, i have the dsl100 connected to a brand new 1936 cab running on Mono 8 ohms head and cab

Mate, the dsl doesnt have a mono 8 ohm out. Have you just been using one side of the stereo out by accident? This could DEFINATELY be your problem if im right. Lets hope not though, as that will of done some serious damage.

Just so we are clear, there is;

16 ohm mono
8 ohm stereo
4 ohm stereo

If you have used anything different, I feel your pain.

TheShadowNinja

Reaction score
Mate... the DSL definitely has an 8ohm tap. The 2x12 cab could be 8ohms with two 16ohm speakers wired in parrallel.

But the load on the back of the dsl requires a stereo out for 8 ohm

Or am I getting epically confused

jcmjmp

Reaction score
But the load on the back of the dsl requires a stereo out for 8 ohm

Or am I getting epically confused

yeah... I think you're confused.

The 4/8 jacks on the DSL are for an 8ohm or 4 ohm combined load, not stereo.

Using these two jacks, you can have:
One 8 ohm cab (selector on 8 ohms)
One 4 ohm cab (selector on 4 ohms)
Two 16 ohm cabs (selector on 8 ohms)
Two 8 ohm cabs (selector on 4 ohms)

There's nothing stereo about these jacks.

The 1936 cab is either 16 ohms or 8 + 8 ohms.

Ken

Reaction score
Do as JCM/JMP suggested: try the 16 ohm jack. If it works fine, don't use it as it's a mismatch, but you'll be able to fix the problem easy.

From another thread with the same issue:

The 16 ohm jack provides the ground to the other two when the the other two are used, but the internal contact in the 16 ohm jack is weak. Do what I did and solder a wire from the metal ring on either of the two 4/8 ohm jacks that's closest to the backplate. This is the ground for the jacks and they are connected to each other, so you just have to do one jack. Solder the other end of your wire to the W6 plug wire at the shoulder. The W6 is right there and clearly labeled; you can't miss it and it's clearly labeled. W6 is connected to ground.

Problem solved. Take 10 minutes tops and you won't blow up the amp when running a full stack and the thing dies in mid solo.

Note that the amp will now have all 3 speaker jacks active so do NOT use all 3 at once!!!!!!!

Ken

ariansyaz

Reaction score
alrite all knowledgeble marshall peeps out there. thanx for all your advices. i tried a quick fix to my amp after going thru as many threads as i can find in the forum. i will try to solder the w6 as per kens advice soon. and i will remember not to use all 3 jacks at once ( if its not loud enough yet for me). btw, it says 8ohms mono ON THE CAB where the jacks come in FROM the amp. so its a 8+8ohms cab? so do i need to output the jack from the amp from the 16ohms jack into the 8ohms jack at the cab?
secondly, the quick fix that i tried was checking the HT fuse. indeed it blew and after changing it, the amp worked fine. but then again, it might blow again coz im now not sure weather im connecting the amp-cab with the correct impedences. any more suggestions? i will try to upload a photo of my amp-cab connection soon and have u guys wisely remedy my prob. im not that good with impedences but im trying my best to understand it.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
If the HT fuse blew, the tubes are bad. Change the tubes before you turn it on again.

Your cab, in 16+16 stereo mode becomes a 8 ohm cab when both jacks are plugged into the 4/8 ohm jacks on the amp.

Since its 8 ohms mono, use the 8 ohm jack on the amp but do the mod as suggested.

[edited for correctness]

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
You have a bad tube (or something) so it's not the jack, but I'd do the mod I suggested anyway. If you're jamming full volume and the the thing cuts out, your transformer won't last too long. Mine worked most of the time but would cut out unexpectedly from time to time and would fix itself after using the 16 ohm jack, so I did the mod so I have one less thing to worry about when I'm running a full stack.

Ken

ariansyaz

Reaction score
8ohm from amp to 8ohms on cab..yep, thats what ive been doing all this while. at least i got that part right thanx to these earlier forums. i'l get some new tubes then now. time to find what tubes are best from these forums then. thanx everyone. will post the results after i get it all done.

Latest posts