DSL100 settings experimentation

• Thread starter Guitargearfreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm a mid freak, I never have enough of mid punch on my tone.

So I never tried to set the mid lower than halfway (5), cause it just seems wrong to me... as I'm using lead 1, I needed the deep switch on to have a balance amount of bass, so my seeting was
presence 2-3
treble 2-3
mid 5-6
bass 3
deep on
volume 3-4
gain 5-6

but tonight I tried it and realize that: If I back up the mid controls, the actual volume of the amp is reduce because mids is a so big part of the sounds. So, if I back up the mids, I don't need the deep switch anymore to get balanced bass, and I can cranked the amp more to reach the same perceived volume. And when the power amp works harder, the mids come out a lot better! So I seem to have a lot more mids, and fatter tone even if the mid knob is lower... here's my new settings
presence 2
treble 2
mid 2-3
bass 5
deep off
volume 4-5
gain 5-6

So what I think I learned today is:
Boosting everything on the eq may seems to sounds better, but backing up the eq, let breath the preamp, while working the power amp harder, maybe the way to go...

Does someone has experiment something like that?

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
If you are getting the Master up higher, that is what is giving you the mojo. I tend to run my master above 5 for practice and gigs. The amp is really open and alive when it gets up there. I have little doubt that is what you are hearing. ROCK ON!

Reaction score
If you are getting the Master up higher, that is what is giving you the mojo. I tend to run my master above 5 for practice and gigs. The amp is really open and alive when it gets up there. I have little doubt that is what you are hearing. ROCK ON!

yeah but I often heard that the DSL doesn't sounds good when pushed too hard, and with my previous settings, I had to agree.... it became harsh... but with these new settings, the amp just want to be pushed and it sings! :headbanger: and it just become fatter and fatter as you increase the volume!

Anyone else uses low eqs on a DSL?

DSL 50

Reaction score
yeah but I often heard that the DSL doesn't sounds good when pushed too hard, and with my previous settings, I had to agree.... it became harsh... but with these new settings, the amp just want to be pushed and it sings! :headbanger: and it just become fatter and fatter as you increase the volume!

Anyone else uses low eqs on a DSL?

Quite the opposite. The DSL really shines when pushed hard.

6StringMoFo

Reaction score

+1

I only run the green 2 and red 2 channels because IMO the tone structure is identical.

Pres 4
Treb 7
Mid 7
Bass 5-6

Note: I let my bass player do what he's supose too thus my sounds cuts right thru and I also play thru a 60A cab and their scooped compared to greenbacks.

No deep or scooped switches are active.

One gig I got to turn it up to 4!! I was in tonal bliss :)

Reaction score

Pushed hard on the power section makes the amp shine, but saturate the 3 band eqs (preamp) has never works for me at high volume (3-4 and higher).

Reaction score
+1

Pres 4
Treb 7
Mid 7
Bass 5-6

One gig I got to turn it up to 4!! I was in tonal bliss :)

Treb to 7!! Man I can't believe it... there's so much highs on the red channel... I don't get it

Try it just for fun, back up everything on the eq and set the amp volume to 5 instead of 4.

I totally agree that at low volume (3 and lower) you need to push the eq to make the amp sing, but things change when you crank it.

Bieling3

Reaction score
I used to run my TSL at 7-3-7 when I first got it, now that I've had a chance to use it in a band setting I've backed off the bass and treble to around 5. To me having the mids anywheres above 5 gives you that thin Styrofoam sound that just sounds horrible.

A lot depends on the speakers though. I couldn't get my early '80s 1960A with G12-65s in it to practice last time and had to use a Line 6 Spider III cab that was at the rehearsal space. I was expecting it to sound like a$$, and on the crunch and lead channels it did for the most part, I had to boost the bass and use a tad more presence. But on the clean channel where I run my Big Muff for fuzz tones the Line 6 cab actually sounded better than the Marshall because it rounded off the bass and tamed the highs just right. I had a eureka moment when I realized this is what is meant by speaker compression...

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
This is the cool thing about everyone using gear to get their style and tone. So many variables.

Now that I have my Class 5's, I only use my DSL for my one band. I use green channel 2 and red channel 2 and the mids are ALWAYS above 5 on the dial. The treble and bass are usually below 5 and I salt and pepper to taste with the presence. The gain on the red I think is about 5 and 7 or 8 on green. Masters are up there.

I have band practice tonight and I will try a few things since we are pretty much using tonight as just a refresh and warm up since we have not played together since November.

Ken

Reaction score
but tonight I tried it and realize that: If I back up the mid controls, the actual volume of the amp is reduce because mids is a so big part of the sounds. So, if I back up the mids, I don't need the deep switch anymore to get balanced bass, ?

I've found the same thing: no bass boost at volume is better, and start with the EQ on 0 and move the dials up as opposed to starting at 10 and reducing them. I run my EQ lower now than when I first got the amp so I can run the volume a tick higher.

Ken

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I wouldn't back off the mids that far especially with the bass at 5. It might sound good when you play alone. But the only place you have in the mix = the mids. So in a mix it'll probably sound a lot worse. I'd back off the bass a bit and crank up the mids to 4.5 or 5. When you play with a band. While the bass is around 3, 3.5 or even 4 if uou want. If you want the crank the amp so the power the amp will sound better, try an attenuator.

Just my 0.02$

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've found the same thing: no bass boost at volume is better, and start with the EQ on 0 and move the dials up as opposed to starting at 10 and reducing them. I run my EQ lower now than when I first got the amp so I can run the volume a tick higher.

Ken

there you go, exact same thing for me

eq with your ears not with your eyes, more eq doesn't mean more tone, especially if you keep the master down cause the preamp is burning...

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
Treb to 7!! Man I can't believe it... there's so much highs on the red channel... I don't get it

Try it just for fun, back up everything on the eq and set the amp volume to 5 instead of 4.

I totally agree that at low volume (3 and lower) you need to push the eq to make the amp sing, but things change when you crank it.

Believe it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmKm4tqSj8]YouTube - DSL Tone Clips[/ame]

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
By the time you factor in guitar make and materials, strings, how hard or light one plays, speakers, effects, etc... the list goes on...

I think that is EXACTLY why there is no ABSOLUTE way to setup ANYTHING. It is going to be different for everyone.

Marshall reccommends setting all the controls to 12 o'clock and then use them like a slider to cut or boost from netural. This is VERY sound advice for starting out on ANY new amp.

When we set up at a new venue, I do this everytime. It has always been easier to me to start at flat and go from there then to "KNOW" that my settings are X and fight it when it doesn't sound quite right. The only thing that tends to always end up the same is my gain. (well, so long as I am only using one guitar)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
for low volume use i am all over the place on the green but, the red1 at 4 boosted is my main sound. I have my pres 8,mids 6,bass 5-6, depth in. right now i'm liking that. higher vol the treb comes down and gain.