Dsl100h Not A "real Marshall"?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
It's disappointing that Marshall and other companies have gone overseas for production. Having said that it softened the blow to hear how good those new amps are! I'm thinking some of the criticism was due to past models produced outside of England that were not very good sound wise. Then we also have the cork sniffers that do not want anything to do with non English produced amps no matter how good they are.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I totally agree. I was posting within the context of the thread. Isn’t it common knowledge that tone is subjective?
At this point I forgot how this thread even started, but Sure. Even though the schematics of a DSL and 1959 are so different, some how it sounds like a Marshall to me. Good amps. Not exactly the amp for some but I think there's a Marshall for almost everyone. Even a Valvestate, if you like it, there you go. Some of us differ in opinions but at least we all love Marshalls.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
You told me what I implied, and had obviously missed my point, read your post. Now you know me enough to know if I took something personally? Presumptive? I didn’t take it personally. That’s why I write cheers at the end of posts like that.
Cheers!
Cheers to you brother and happy Christmas.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
A question just occurred to me. What's the longest enduring model - one they've made and sold the longest? The DSL might be it. I'd have to look it up but between it's three incarnations it might be the winner. Totally a real Marshall.

mcblink

Reaction score
Seems fair to count the reissue, seeing as the JCM DSL has been reissued also as the 100H and the 100HR...

In which case I'd still have to say 2203, since the 2203/4 circuit has been in production since '75, I think? Then, in '81, it was redesigned and dubbed the mighty JCM800

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I think the Viet Nam workers do a beautiful job with what they're given but now that someone brought up touring, cheap circuit board construction comes into play and does matter. No, you're not supposed to throw an amp down the stairs, and my Vox AC30C2 has held up to club gigging probably because I've babied it. But contrary to what the new generation at Guitar Player Magazine would have you think it's NOT "rugged", NOT "tough" and NOT "durable", but I guess that's okay if you don't need it to be. I don't know where the 65 and 68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs are made (MIM?) but a friend of mine has one of each and a Peavey Classic 30 and they're all three always in and out of the shop. I won't go any farther with this otherwise it should be another thread but I think the road is where you might stick with hand built or semi hand built (jcm 800, Boogie) amps.