Dsl100h Ohms Question

• Thread starter StonehouseGuitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So much conflicting information out there about matching ohms between heads and cabs.
My question is simple, and I just need a simple, not overexplained overtechnical answer.
I’ve got a DSL100H. This amp has one 16 ohms output and two 8 ohms outputs.
I have two 1960 cabs, they each have a 4 and 16 ohm input.
When I run the amp into one cab at 16 ohms, I can get it loud enough to almost burst my eardrums and cause permanent damage to my ears, which is what I want.
When I run the amp from the two 8ohm outputs into the 16ohm inputs on both cabs, which from what I understand is the correct way to do it, it’s only half as loud.
What’s going on here? Am I doing this all wrong? Seems not right if a full stack is not as loud as a half stack.
Any info is appreciated thanks.

Marcell

Reaction score
Well if you give the amp twice as much résistance it will give you half the power.

Reaction score
I was sort of wondering if that’s how it worked. 2x the speakers, so the power is spread out more. It looks like I’ll have to get another DSL100H and run one into each cab so I don’t lose any volume. Just wanted to make sure I’m not doing something wrong before I go and buy another head. There is a lot of conflicting information out there

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:h5:Yes your method is correct, when I used to run both 16 ohm cabs I never heard any loss in volume! So I am thinking that,Marcels post is accurate! :cheers: The information I have gained on ss amps is a 100 watt amp only reaches its full power when you use the full spectrum of its power examples lead 100 mosfet with 2 8ohm cabs is 4 ohms, it then uses all 100 watts to push both cabs, 1 cab is 50 Watts, Ect Ect but I am not the most knowledgeable person on this forum

Last edited:
Reaction score
Put the Cabs on 4ohm.

From what I understand, running them in parallel means the amp is seeing 8ohms from 2 cabs at 16ohms. If I used the 4 ohm setting that would be 2 ohms. People say if the resistance on your cabs is lower than the amp, shit blows up. So wouldn’t running the cabs at 4 ohms be bad?

Attachments

• 6F2565B8-E441-4BEC-99EE-6971A493C8FC.png
    6F2565B8-E441-4BEC-99EE-6971A493C8FC.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 4

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
Sorry...I completely read way to fast...

By using both speaker outs at 8ohms each, the transformer is now looking for a 4ohm load, and it is seeing an 8ohm load. While a 1 step 'Z' mismatch is not destructive to the amp, it just doesn't optimize power efficiency.

Your DSL is not loud enough with both cabinets?
When you switch from one cabinet to the other (using just the 16ohm out)...is there a volume loss?

Have you been using the 8ohm outs alot or is this just a recent discovery?
I am curious if the 8ohm out jacks aren't corroded...or partially shorting.

Reaction score
The output jacks aren’t corroded, I’ve tested both cabs separately so it’s not the speakers. I think you must be right about the amp seeking a 4 ohm load and seeing 8. That would explain it. I know when I’ve mismatched cabs before they have a quieter sort of sound. My guess is they designed them to run into 8ohm cabs cuz that’s what all the cheap nam cabs are and it’s technically a cheap nam head. The math works out that way. 2 8 ohm nam cabs would be 4 ohms to the amp. Typically I run two heads, wet/dry, this one into a 1960, and another head into a 2x12. I recently picked up another 1960 and was trying to run both cabs off the 100H but it looks like it’s just not going to work because they pigeon holed the output jacks on the amp. These amps are on sale right now for cheap because of the DSL100HR being released, which is basically the same exact thing with an emulated line out. So I’m thinking I’ll just buy another one. Never hurts to have more Marshall’s on stage, and if one blows up, which is likely with this nam made stuff, at least the other one will still be running.

Thanks for helping me out in clearing this up much appreciated.

Last edited:

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
You can always remove the plate from 1 cab, wire it as a 16 ohm mono and put a parallel Jack on it. Connect that to the other cab for your total 8 ohms.
You'd use one 8ohm speaker out from the head, to the modified cab, from the mod cab to the other cab.

Worth a try before buying another head...unless this is you justification because you want to

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I believe the 2x 8 ohm jacks on a DSL means 8 ohm total load split between the 2 jacks. So either
1x8 ohm OR
2x16 ohm.
I don't think the amp wants to see 4 ohms ever. It should not be any quieter with 2x16 run this way or 1x16 thru 16 ohm tap. Check the manual I think you will find this to be the case.

Humanoid

Reaction score
Good thing to remember is whenever you have a parallel resistance (ie: 4x 16 ohm speakers in series-parallel, the total resistance Rt is a little LESS than 1/2 the lowest individual resistance (2x16 ohms in series=32 + 2x16 ohms in series=32 then paralled to get a bit less than16 ohms in this case). The amp "ties" 2 cab inputs in parallel internally, so if you have 2x 16 ohm cabs, the amp will be looking at slightly less than 8 ohms. (My new 16 ohm 4x12 cab measures about 13.8 ohms with a DVM).

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's only half as loud, you have a problem.
Very true as Micky says, don’t know what I missed but your two 16 ohm cabs should be plugged into the 2 8 ohm taps at the back of the amp, it will be a perfect match, and highly recommend’ed if you are losing decibels, then something else is amiss, I can’t help you anymore with this as it is out of my knowledge! Cheers Mitch