DSL100H review

• Thread starter jgcable
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
To add...I can play everything from country to master of Puppets without any pedals..I do run a mxr 10 band in the loop for a plexi mid hump though. Best marshall I've ever owned..especially with neg feedback pot around 120k..great amp indeed. Don't listen to the BS people say about it....you'll love it!

Easton55

Reaction score
Question for you other DSL 100 owners, which way does your standby switch work? I have full playing power with mine set to the on position, and no playing power with it set to the off position. Just wondered if this is normal for them, since it seems backwards to run this way. Should the switch not be set to the on position when it is in standby mode, not off? Pretty confusing.

Last edited:

Trophlin

Reaction score
No, when standby is ON that means standby is activated therefore no sound. When standby is OFF that means standby is deactivated allowing sound.

Easton55

Reaction score
Makes sense, but it's working the exact opposite. And I have heard of others being this way too, but not sure what models. I hadn't used Marshalls for a long time, so wasn't sure if I was remembering something wrong, lol.

Easton55

Reaction score
Just to update, talked to L & M, and also heard back from the factory Marshall techs too, and mine is set up correctly. When the standby switch is On, you are in full play mode. When the switch is set to Off, you are in standby mode. Like I said, it had been a while since I had run a Marshall, and couldn't recall which was correct. Other amps run opposite to this, but this is correct. Confusing, but correct, lol.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
No, when standby is ON that means standby is activated therefore no sound. When standby is OFF that means standby is deactivated allowing sound.

That's actually incorrect. There is no "Off" for the Standby switch, it is labeled "Standby" and "On", with "Standby" resulting in no sound and "On" being "play" mode.

Dmann

Reaction score
There actually is an Off on the DSL100H, I never actually looked before lol. I don't recall if the JVM or JMP were different... I don't think they were will have to dig up some pics

EDIT ---

after checking pics....

So the JMP has a 0 on top and a 1 on the bottom.

The JVM has an Off on the top and On on the bottom.

Last edited:

Marshall4Metal

Reaction score
It's the next best thing to a 800/900 and half the price new . Nothing wrong with a DSL .

Easton55

Reaction score
That's actually incorrect. There is no "Off" for the Standby switch, it is labeled "Standby" and "On", with "Standby" resulting in no sound and "On" being "play" mode.
No it's not incorrect, I'm looking right at it. Off on top, and On/Standby on the bottom. See the picture/video that Dmann has right above here.

Trophlin

Reaction score
Well I was wrong (even though it should be how the terminology should be used). When the standby switch is in the OFF position then that means it is in standby (no noise) and when it is in the ON position that means it is off of standby (noise). Definitely reversed of how it should be if talking from the perspective of "standby." I'm assuming they mean the signal is OFF (no noise) or the signal is ON (noise).

I've actually never looked at the labeling. I've just known that when the top is pressed in there is no noise, then when the bottom is pressed in there is noise.

Dmann

Reaction score
No it's not incorrect, I'm looking right at it. Off on top, and On/Standby on the bottom. See the picture/video that Dmann has right above here.

With one caveat ; it's not an "On/Standby" it's just "On" and probably the source of the confusion.

Easton55

Reaction score
Yeah, just typical Marshall goofiness, lol. Their power switch is marked Power on/off, and works as you'd think. And most other brands have the Standby marked on/off, and runs that way, but they aren't set up like that. Just more confusing. Just like how they have the cabinets marked as left/right, but as if you are viewing them from the front, not the back. That one has never made sense to me either, lol.

yafal

Reaction score
Nice review! You have found the secret to live tone and that is, low gain! Too much gain and it's mush, you'll never get out in the mix with that. Lowering the gain brings so much clarity to the sound and with a pedal you can boost from there and a lot of the pedals will add some highs and mids also which will help you punch through even more. I had to learn this lesson by trial and error but finally did get it figured out. The other guitar player in my old band would tell me all the time "you need more gain" I would generally dial in a little but it usually ended up going back out. Funny thing is when I joined the band I was a gain monster and just dimed it on whatever amp I was using, thought it sounded awesome... Man, I have come a long way :lol:

I've never gotten on too well with the DSL amps, I think it's just a personal thing but something in the sound just doesn't work for me. I owned a 2k version and have tried out the 40c and the 100h but each time I'm disappointed with it.. Just something I don't like, can't put a finger on it but the tone just doesn't work for me. As someone said above playing a high gain amp at low gain and making it sound good is a hard thing to do and I'm just not that good. I had a 15h and actually loved that amp but any of the bigger ones just don't gel with me.
Hi. For playing at low level with great tone, you can use the Marshall Power Brake. It connects between the head and speakers, regulating the power sent to them witn a big step by step knob. It's excelent, very easy to use and retains the "big" tone at low level. Take care!

MemphisMarshallMan

Reaction score
I am currently running two DSL100h heads ( through two each 1960a and b cabs) when playing and running them in stereo. Running in stereo fills out the sound since I am the only guitar player in my 3-piece band and the soundman is willing to work with me on getting a massive full tone in the FOH mix.
I have got to say that my DSL100h's are the best sounding amps I have ever played through.
My only complaint (and its a small one) is that when I first ordered road cases for the amp heads I had trouble finding production line cases that actually fit the newer DSL100h heads. My old Anvil cases for my old Super Lead MKII 100w heads were too small. I finally found some quality cases made by Gator that fit. Other than that I've had nothing but happiness with everything associated with my DSL100h's.
Just absolutely awesome amplifiers for my style and tastes.