• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DSL100HR vs SC20H

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
Hey, first of all I know it's 100W versus 20W but those two with a cabinet will cost me pretty much the same give or take. I've been playing my JVM215C for couple of years and for some reason it never quite felt like a really clear and responsive tube amp for me. I mainly play Rock/Metal and even Blues, more modern style but love the classics too, I need a good distortion to be boosted with my OD pedals and a good clean channel. I really like the JCM800 sound it's really outstanding but it's a one channel amp and of course the mini version lacking all the bass that the big brother with 100W produce. On the other side there is an amp that got great tones with separate channels, made in Vietnam vs UK where the SC20H has been made. I'll be getting 2x12 doesn't matter if I'll choose the DSL or the SC, now please help me decide if the DSL would please my needs and bring me quality tones like the SC would. If it's quality vs versatility I'll always go for quality, like I'm doing now and selling my JVM. Of course I never tried none of them, I'll go check the DSL soon, hopefully they got it for a demo and the SC arriving to my country only at the end of the month.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
, I need a good distortion to be boosted with my OD pedals and a good clean channel.

That pretty much answers your question. 800's clean up fairly good by rolling down guitar volume, but a "good clean channel" can only be had by pulling the guitar cable from the high input and inserting it in the low input.

On the other hand, DSL clean channel and dirty channels are so vastly different from each other, but still with a shared eq, that many end up using them as a single channel amp in practice anyway.

Also consider the mini Jubilee for the same price as the SC. A shared input gain and a shared eq, but the clean and the dirty transition well to each other. Quality of tone is not compromised in my opinion.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I agree with Kinkless. Don't rule out the Studio Jubilee.

I have the Mini Jubilee 2525H, DSL20HR and I'll even throw in the Origin 20H to reinforce my opinion. Their differences in tone aside and being honestly objective about them the DSL and Origin are a great bargain. I like them both but the Jubilee gets better tone. I'm in line for an SV20H and I'll get the SC20H later, i used to have the 100 watt version, but if 20 watts fits your needs I'd stick to the Studio Series.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
That pretty much answers your question. 800's clean up fairly good by rolling down guitar volume, but a "good clean channel" can only be had by pulling the guitar cable from the high input and inserting it in the low input.

On the other hand, DSL clean channel and dirty channels are so vastly different from each other, but still with a shared eq, that many end up using them as a single channel amp in practice anyway.

Also consider the mini Jubilee for the same price as the SC. A shared input gain and a shared eq, but the clean and the dirty transition well to each other. Quality of tone is not compromised in my opinion.

Hey Kinky.... I thought the HR has separate EQ's for each channel ? No? Bummer.
BP

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Hey, first of all I know it's 100W versus 20W but those two with a cabinet will cost me pretty much the same give or take. I've been playing my JVM215C for couple of years and for some reason it never quite felt like a really clear and responsive tube amp for me. I mainly play Rock/Metal and even Blues, more modern style but love the classics too, I need a good distortion to be boosted with my OD pedals and a good clean channel. I really like the JCM800 sound it's really outstanding but it's a one channel amp and of course the mini version lacking all the bass that the big brother with 100W produce. On the other side there is an amp that got great tones with separate channels, made in Vietnam vs UK where the SC20H has been made. I'll be getting 2x12 doesn't matter if I'll choose the DSL or the SC, now please help me decide if the DSL would please my needs and bring me quality tones like the SC would. If it's quality vs versatility I'll always go for quality, like I'm doing now and selling my JVM. Of course I never tried none of them, I'll go check the DSL soon, hopefully they got it for a demo and the SC arriving to my country only at the end of the month.

Sounds to me you have a hole in your pocket and want to spend some money and buy a new amp. I know the feeling. But the amp you have can do everything you’re looking for with much more to offer than the two amps you are shopping for. I’ve owned three JVM Amps and still have one. It always amazes me when folks say they can’t get a JCM800 tone out of a JVM. You should be able to set your foot switch or MIDI to get very clear clean tone, some grit, several 2203 tones and 2203 on steroids tones out of the JVM. If you are using an OD pedal in front that is likely the culprit on why you can’t dial in the tones. I’ve used tube screamer, OCD and now use a Maxon 808 and all three worked fine. I have my JVM set up as a hot rodded JCM800 style amp.

The DSL100 will not be an upgrade.

I recently bought the SV20 head. Didn’t need it and it was purely me lusting for the new shiny Marshall. I’ pretty much only play that for now. Honeymoon is at 4 weeks. Excellent amp that delivers on what Marshall claims. That amp has plexi tones my JVM does not. You might want to start with SC20 if a new amp is a must.

Drinkingdeath01

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last brand new DSL almost caught fire so I might be a little biased in my opinion. ( see what I did there ?) I had both the DSL and the SC20H. The crispy one got returned and I kept the 800. The 800 is killer but I dont think it will serve all your needs without a clean channel. Have you thought of maybe a 2205 or a 2210 ? Two channels and all the roar of a 2203. Also I would recommend the 6100 series. Three great channels of great tone. Clean is fantastic along with the two dirty channels. Check them out on youtube.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I really like the JCM800 sound it's really outstanding but it's a one channel amp and of course the mini version lacking all the bass that the big brother with 100W produce.
Ive owned and gigged both several times—I feel as though this is greatly overstated. I don’t normally play at low volume—when the little guy is cranked at 20w it rips. I like it more than my DSL50 and I like that amp a lot.

tallcoolone

Reaction score

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score

That's actually a good idea, I'll check the Jubilee when I'll go demoing

The DSL's are a modern sounding amp.
The Studio Series come more from the vintage side of the sound spectrum.
The Studio Series is 20W and you're stuck with that. DSLHR 100/50W
DSL has the emulated out.
Quality of manufacture is a non issue.
Check out the shoot out here:

BP

I never understood that vintage sound thing, I can really tell a difference but than BMTH guitarist Lee Malia boosting his JCM800 with a OD pedal and it sounds way better, modern and alive than any real modern amp
He even did a demo for a SC20H and with his Klon Centaur OD pedal it sounds amazing, check it out by searching in Youtube for Lee Malia Studio Classic

By the way he got some amazing cleans out of it with his reverb and delay pedals that by the way BOSS made and it seems he using the high sensitivity output for pure cleans no problem, is it really possible or the video has been edited?
:welcome: To the Marshall Forum.

Thanks, great to be here!

Sounds to me you have a hole in your pocket and want to spend some money and buy a new amp. I know the feeling. But the amp you have can do everything you’re looking for with much more to offer than the two amps you are shopping for. I’ve owned three JVM Amps and still have one. It always amazes me when folks say they can’t get a JCM800 tone out of a JVM. You should be able to set your foot switch or MIDI to get very clear clean tone, some grit, several 2203 tones and 2203 on steroids tones out of the JVM. If you are using an OD pedal in front that is likely the culprit on why you can’t dial in the tones. I’ve used tube screamer, OCD and now use a Maxon 808 and all three worked fine. I have my JVM set up as a hot rodded JCM800 style amp.

The DSL100 will not be an upgrade.

I recently bought the SV20 head. Didn’t need it and it was purely me lusting for the new shiny Marshall. I’ pretty much only play that for now. Honeymoon is at 4 weeks. Excellent amp that delivers on what Marshall claims. That amp has plexi tones my JVM does not. You might want to start with SC20 if a new amp is a must.

Well I always had an love and hate relationship with this amp mainly cause at the stores my guitars sounded dreamy and at home not so much. The real reason I consider the DSL and the new SC20H it's cause It really got that touch sensitivity and the tone sounds so natural and alive when JVM sounds very good but less natural and more smooth and synthetic even when you play clean, I like it sometimes but I feel that I'm a bit missing the actual tone of my guitar. I'm looking for that natural crisp sound that the JCM800 got and when you boosting it it got sharper when JVM gets tighter but a bit messy and clear than JCM800 ( I'm using all my OD pedals 0-gain / full volume ). I know what you're saying and I petty sure I'm ready for a new amp experience and maybe someday I'll get back to JVM. I'm really leaning towards the SC20 now.

Last edited:

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
My last brand new DSL almost caught fire so I might be a little biased in my opinion. ( see what I did there ?) I had both the DSL and the SC20H. The crispy one got returned and I kept the 800. The 800 is killer but I dont think it will serve all your needs without a clean channel. Have you thought of maybe a 2205 or a 2210 ? Two channels and all the roar of a 2203. Also I would recommend the 6100 series. Three great channels of great tone. Clean is fantastic along with the two dirty channels. Check them out on youtube.

I wish I had all those second hand options but unfortunately in my country this music instrument business not developed at all, got enough of those popular Fender Blues Juniors and Hot Rods on second hand market but rarely any good stuff although sometimes you get lucky and find a person that sells some good gear, by the way it goes the same with guitars. I wish I could buy from Reverb it just heaven of music gear.

Ive owned and gigged both several times—I feel as though this is greatly overstated. I don’t normally play at low volume—when the little guy is cranked at 20w it rips. I like it more than my DSL50 and I like that amp a lot.

You're not the first one that likes the SC20 so it's telling me alot and of course you got enough experience with both, but tell me does it really missing those basses that the big 100W brother of his produce?

EQ pedal with the level dialed down works great with the SC20. On the low end try:

Or this is what I am using right now:

Instant clean channel

You made my day with this solution it really can work and make the SC20 a clear choice, but I have to ask you if the volume level of the guitar stays the same ( if it's really possible ) when you turn on the pedal and get instant clean by reducing the sound, although someone said it only clears the gain and I'm talking about the Signal Pad as my only option cause in my country I could never find the DETOX EQ and I don't care cause much the Signal Pad looks promising and very simple to use.

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Dimilli....your choice of the SC20 is a good one. Everybody on here who has one LOVE them.
I'm sure you will too.!!!
Lets us know when it arrives and how it performs for you and provide a sound clip if you have that capability.
Look forward to your further news.
BP

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Two different animals, they don't sound the same or operate the same, you have to decide do you want modern tone and features or the simplicity of classic tone and no features. Size too, do you want the big amp or the small amp, and let me tell you that small amp sounds BIG. Good luck deciding and welcome to the forum. :yesway:

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
You made my day with this solution it really can work and make the SC20 a clear choice, but I have to ask you if the volume level of the guitar stays the same ( if it's really possible ) when you turn on the pedal and get instant clean by reducing the sound, although someone said it only clears the gain and I'm talking about the Signal Pad as my only option cause in my country I could never find the DETOX EQ and I don't care cause much the Signal Pad looks promising and very simple to use.
Are you handy with a soldering iron ? If so, order parts from Tayda, and build one yourself:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019/01/homebrew-electronics-detox-eq.html
I use my clone with my SV20H, works pretty well. Cost me 30€ at most. Plus it's fun to do.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
You're not the first one that likes the SC20 so it's telling me alot and of course you got enough experience with both, but tell me does it really missing those basses that the big 100W brother of his produce?
If you played them side by side quickly a/b’ing them back to back at exactly the same level, you would probably be able to feel which was the big brother. I on’t believe you would be able to discern one from the other from a recording, or even in a blind test 5m apart.

Remember, not all 2203’s sound the same either. I’ve had a few dogs.
It is, but it does add a little noise and deadens the tone a bit where the HBE doesn’t. I’m sure there are a ton of other solutions out there that do well, these are just the 2 I own. It is literally a volume pot with a switch—well the Signal Pad is, I don’t know the Gilbert ‘secret sauce’. If your signal cleans up on your guitar with the volume, this will work just as well if not better. And it is footswitchable

I’ll look around and see if I can find a clip where I’ve used it. It completely opens up the possibilities when gigging with a single channel NMV amp.

Latest posts