• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Dsl1hr too loud- going to use additional attenuator

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
No master in the clean channel, but volume/gain on the gain channel. So yes, putting a volume control in the loop is an additional master for the gain channel.

If he's wanting to crank the clean channel, yes a volume in the loop would be very beneficial.

12AU7 is lower gain than 12AX7, but AU can push more current. So AU's are less stressed when used as power tubes and can last longer, with about the same wattage output as higher gain AX's.

But preamp tubes aren't really power tubes. A volume control in the loop, attenuator, lower efficiency speaker -- the only way to know which approaches work best for a particular person's ears is to try them.
in the JVM1h, I use a 12BH7A in the power slot & it makes the amp more like a 2 watt, w/ more headroom...

& in the JVM1, you can NOT swap the ECC82 for an ECC83 in the power slot, as it has a constant cut-out of sound & sounded very bad, like something was broken.

acevh00

Reaction score
I was thinking to buy a DSL1HR, because I just sold my new SV20h (really TOO loud for my apartment).
But I have a doubt: I read that DSL1HR has only a single 16ohm output, so I could not use my 2 stacked 1960 4x12, I'm afraid...
I have a Palmer adaptor for cabinets, but 16+16 ohm should need a 8ohm out on the head, I think.
Has anyone a trick for this problem..?

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking to buy a DSL1HR, because I just sold my new SV20h (really TOO loud for my apartment).
But I have a doubt: I read that DSL1HR has only a single 16ohm output, so I could not use my 2 stacked 1960 4x12, I'm afraid...
I have a Palmer adaptor for cabinets, but 16+16 ohm should need a 8ohm out on the head, I think.

I think you like the Plexi sound after reading your post, I think you should be looking for a JTM-1H/C or a JMP-1H/C.
They are one watts and you ca run them at 0,1w mode if you like.
Booth have 8 and 16 Ohms output.

TC

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The attenuators as big as the head..lol..
Seriously though, Idk what you'd really be gaining attenuating in 0.1 watt setting that the volume control on the amp can't do itself. I have tried this just out of curiosity with my powerbrake and to me the powerbrake does the exact same thing the volume knob does..the tones the same. So the attenuators kind of redundant, you might as well just reduce the volume knob.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Yep, get a jetenuator , all you need to do is match its input to the head 16 , 8 or 4 and you can use any impedance speaker/speakers over 4 ohms . You don’t need to attenuate although it starts at 3db cut but that definitely doesn’t affect tone at all ,I use it with everything to ensure a perfect ohms match .

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi All, long time reader, first time poster here.

Due to pretty sensitive ears (tinnitus) I have been playing a strat unplugged for the last decade or so, never amplified.

I recently saw the Marshall DSL1 advertised and thought I would try my luck as I love the sounds of classic rock and tube saturation (trower etc).

I paired the DSL1HR with an Orange PPC112 1x12 cab and it sounds amazing on both channels, very warm.

Due to how loud it is I am forced to play it using the 0.1 watt mode which still sounds excellent.

The problem is due to my tinnitus I can never turn the volume knob beyond 1/4, and so I doubt I am ever really hearing the power tube getting to work, just the pre amp tubes.

I have now purchased the Palmer PDI06 power attenuator in an attempt to be able to crank the amp up to higher volumes and drive the power section as well as the preamp, to achieve greater tones.

Is there any reason why this won't work? I can always return the attenuator but I am quite excited about this idea.

Look forward to your feedback- I am quite new to amplification so don't know too much about this subject.
Truth be told you need a solid state amp.​

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No mate , solid state sounds shit ( sorry ) . My tube amps sound great at really low volume , you just got to work on getting there . Trial and error probably the only way .
Nope, we can agree to disagree. My tube amps sound great at low volume too but this dude has ear problems and apparently cant get a 1 watt amp low enough not to hurt his ears, makes most sense to get a solid state modeler.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Dude you could have put a volume box in the loop of your SV20H! Thats the only way I run mine, I can get any volume and it sounds great! Go get that amp back! :yesway:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I thought the dsl1 went down to 0.1 w or am I confusing it with something else ?

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Tried a Katana at my local store and was a muffled lifeless lump of . My old 15w valve state sounds better and that don’t sound good either . I would put my lbx ii up against anything for great tone at 60db actually ( no pedals ) .

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are playing whisper quiet an 8" Celestion 8-15 may be a good option. You could mount one on a seperate baffle and screw it in place of a regular 12" speaker in a 1 x 12 cab using the screw points for the 12" speaker to mount the seperate baffle.
The 8-15 is only 95db sens.

acevh00

Reaction score
Dude you could have put a volume box in the loop of your SV20H! Thats the only way I run mine, I can get any volume and it sounds great! Go get that amp back! :yesway:
... I used it, but no way...
Too loud just at 1,5, with a decent tone set with the volume box in the loop. Anyway, it was impossible to find the sweet spot or the minimum raw gain.

I returned to my EVH 5150 III LBX II 15..... :wub2: