Dsl1hr

• Thread starter Samy_Sixstring
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyohio75

Reaction score
Nice clip, I'm surprised how tight it sounds. How does the tone of the 1 watt compare to the 20 at bedroom levels?
They both sound great at bedroom levels. If you put the 20 on the 10 watt setting it sounds remarkably like the 1 watter. Overall I prefer the 20 watt version. It has more girth and thump. The cleans are much better also. For $200 more the 20 watt head is the way to go IMO.

Last edited:

Kutt

Reaction score
They both sound great at bedroom levels. If you put the 20 on the 10 watt setting it sounds remarkably like the 1 watter. Overall I prefer the 20 watt version. It has more girth and thump. The cleans are much better also. For $200 the 20 watt head is the way to go IMO.

Thanks for the post. I was wondering how these two might compare. The real steal might be that Fender stand you probably got for $20 as the SDOTD, like me. :)

Jimmyohio75

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I was wondering how these two might compare. The real steal might be that Fender stand you probably got for $20 as the SDOTD, like me. :)

Ha, yes I did! Could not pass up that deal. Great stand for $20!!!

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
They both sound great at bedroom levels. If you put the 20 on the 10 watt setting it sounds remarkably like the 1 watter. Overall I prefer the 20 watt version. It has more girth and thump. The cleans are much better also. For $200 the 20 watt head is the way to go IMO.

I'm looking at both of these as well. Of course, I prefer the 20 watt, but is it still too loud for home use? I can't get loud at all where I'm living, and the only cab I have is a 4x12! I was thinking what lacked in thump and girth on the 1 watt, I could make up for it with an EQ in the loop?

Samy_Sixstring

Reaction score
would'nt count on thump from a ecc82 tube(at7)

I don't think a single 12AU7 can deliver the bandwidth that two el34's can. But, those are Marshall tones I am hearing.

It's a great practice amp.

Last edited:

Tagedieb

Reaction score
Hello I am seeking information about the little Marshall amp. Sounds like a killer practice amp to me.
My only concern is the cleans. I need at least some clean headroom and this amp is breaking up pretty early as i take it from forums.
I will use it in a 4 cable setup with a Pod HD. Will a clean preamp using the fx return and bypassing the amps own preamp result in some clean headroom?

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I'm looking at both of these as well. Of course, I prefer the 20 watt, but is it still too loud for home use? I can't get loud at all where I'm living, and the only cab I have is a 4x12! I was thinking what lacked in thump and girth on the 1 watt, I could make up for it with an EQ in the loop?
The 20 will be too loud without an attenuator, if you wanna turn the master up. I run my 15H and 4x12 with an attenuator, and it still gets loud.

Samy_Sixstring

Reaction score
I need at least some clean headroom
Mostly clean on classic gain. Breaks up barely at the top. Not much clean on ultra gain. Starts to break up very early. I actually would have preferred earlier break up on classic gain and later breakup on ultra gain. But that may be my classic rock taste.

If you can wait to try the 20 watt Origin it has a 3 watt and .5 watt setting.

Last edited:

Tagedieb

Reaction score
The origin also seems to be great. Very interesting amp. If i can get along with one channel it might be the only amp i need.
But it is out of my scope price wise and i would rarely use it in 20 or even 10 watt mode.

The 2 channels and built in reverb on the dsl1hr catched my interest. Getting some nice clean tones out of it is my only concern. What i have seen online it starts to get dirty at volumes around 2-3 already.
Guess I have to check one out soon. But i might wait to also take a look at the origin.

Last edited:

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Just ordered one today. It’ll be here Tuesday. Going to use it just as a table top head direct into a small mixer just for practicing. The price is too good to pass up.

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Congrats! Do you mean with emulated out?

Yes, that is my plan. I have a small 4 channel mixer that runs to two KRK Rockit 5 monitors. I run a mic into the mixer and a laptop for MP3s. I’m thinking this should give me solid platform to practice with.

Latest posts