Dsl1hr

• Thread starter Samy_Sixstring
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slagg

Reaction score
said it was delivered to my front porch? but I was home all day.No fedx truck all day.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
If you didn't sign for it then contact Sweetwater and get them to sort it out , it's their and their couriers problem .

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I got lucky on speaker boxes. Both my 1x12 are 16 ohm. I like the amp to push harder.

So 2x12 has to be 8 ohm wired in series to 16 ohm. My next acquisition. ;)
Just buy two 8 ohm speakers and drop them in any used 2 x 12, wired in series and bingo. Or a stereo 1922 cab is switchable from 8 ohms (both speakers firing) to 16 ohms either the left or right speaker firing, depending on which input is used).

slagg

Reaction score
Got the combo delivered yesterday.I love this thing! it is a awesome "Bedroom jammer".The speaker(8") works well with this amp IMO.The channel switching does pop at low volume,but when it's cranked 2 o'clock or more it's gone.Reverb is kinda weak and tinney but o k I guess.Overall I think it's got some mojo.I'm happy:eddie:
Does swapping tubes out void warranty?

Mavrim

Reaction score
I bought a used DSL1 a few months ago for $230 total. Removed the chassis to investigate what was inside. I have photos that I will upload to this forum! I noticed that the output transformer had an unused wire inside that was tie wrapped in the wire bundle. After ohming it out I decided that it has to be an 8 ohm tap. The only output is 16 ohms. With these small one watt amps, it is ok to mismatch output impedance without damaging the amp. I read that one of the marshall designers did that with one of the 50th anniversary models to get better tone. I added another output jack next to the 16 ohm jack. When wiring it up, I found that marshall had swapped the ground and hot on the pcb spade connection. So I swapped them and wired in the new lead. I recall that it was white. I will post pictures of the mod. After doing the mod I put the amp aside and only until last night tried it out at low volume late at night. Volume was a little lower using the new output. With a meter I read 1.6 ohms on the 16 ohm output and .9 ohms on the unused lead that I assume is 8 ohms.

Last edited:

Mavrim

Reaction score
Last night I set up my DSL1 using the new 8 ohm output that I installed (see post above). Cabinet is a lead 12 slant fitted with an 8 ohm 12" celestion vintage 30. I also swapped out the stock ECC82 power tube with an RFI ECC82. Amp sounded incredible! Then switched the 8 ohm speaker to the factory 16 ohm output and it did not sound as good. So I can see this mod as being a good thing for those with 8 ohm cabinets. I will post photos of this mod.

Mavrim

Reaction score
I started a new thread for DSL1 mods. Follow the speaker mod and other mods on that thread...

Mavrim

Reaction score
I started a new thread for DSL1 mods. Follow the speaker mod and other mods on that thread...

Edubra

Reaction score
Hi, I'm using a 12at7 old telefunken on the 12AU7 position,... gave me the midrange that I'm looking for and more crunch on the Green channel,.... boosted with ODR-1 or a BOSS EQ-200 sounds nice,... but I thinking: will the 12at7 damage the amp,... HELP!

Last edited:

sertan

Reaction score
I have 8 ohm speaker and bought this amp, studied the whole day if it can be a problem to connect that speaker. Well, if you plan to give concerts with it it might be a problem, but if you click on the low wattage button on the back (which I will use) it has a 11 ohm in series and 8 ohm in parallel voltage divider circuit (with resistors) 16 ohm speakers it makes 16.33 ohm total impedance, if you connect 8 ohms it makes 15 ohm total impedance! The different is pretty much negligible, so go for it if you plan to use the amp silent with the low power button on..

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 8 ohm speaker and bought this amp, studied the whole day if it can be a problem to connect that speaker. Well, if you plan to give concerts with it it might be a problem, but if you click on the low wattage button on the back (which I will use) it has a 11 ohm in series and 8 ohm in parallel voltage divider circuit (with resistors) 16 ohm speakers it makes 16.33 ohm total impedance, if you connect 8 ohms it makes 15 ohm total impedance! The different is pretty much negligible, so go for it if you plan to use the amp silent with the low power button on..
:welcome: to the forum.
There's also an unused 8 ohm transformer tap that's practically plug and play if you swap a wire to the speaker jack.
A little creative modding by installing another jack, or an impedance switch are also options.

sertan

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
There's also an unused 8 ohm transformer tap that's practically plug and play if you swap a wire to the speaker jack.
A little creative modding by installing another jack, or an impedance switch are also options.
I would not use that one with the attenuator button and also with inner dummy load when you do not plug the speaker in. Perhaps the R107, 108, 110 must also be changed. But for home practice and with the low power button I would not bother changing anything at all, just plug your 8 ohm cab and enjoy your little amp.

Latest posts