DSL20C or 20CR for small apartment

• Thread starter jb5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antmax

Reaction score
My DSL20 HR is quite loud, even in 5w mode. I have to put a volume pedal in the loop to choke the output down to medium loud TV volume because the amp sounds rubbish volume below 9 o'clock (2) After that some of the body enters the tone and it sounds really good. My older DSL5c is much quieter on low power mode, but according to Marshall that is more like 0.5w on the low setting.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Just copied and pasted from a post last week where I said the same thing:

Little Black Box by JHS Pedals. Goes in your effects loop and allows you to attenuate the volume between the pre-amp and the power amp. You can crank the pre-amp way up without breaking any windows.

This will let you use your 5150 and get that sound without getting evicted. I know, because I use it on my 5150iii.
This is just another master volume. Peeamp can always be cranked and keep master down.
It seems pointless to me completely. Does not allow for power tube saturation. Any volume pedal in loop does the same but with a master volume, it does essentially nothing.

jb5150

Reaction score
So I’m in the store right now playing with the DSL 40 C and the little black box. It actually sounds quite amazing I’m thoroughly surprised and impressed.

I managed to find a 40DSlC (not CR) on Facebook marketplace the guy is selling it for 500 firm keep in mind that’s a Canadian price. Is that a good deal?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
So I’m in the store right now playing with the DSL 40 C and the little black box. It actually sounds quite amazing I’m thoroughly surprised and impressed.

I managed to find a 40DSlC (not CR) on Facebook marketplace the guy is selling it for 500 firm keep in mind that’s a Canadian price. Is that a good deal?
Up to you. Again, l black box simply becomes another master volume, does nothing more.
In any case, CR has much more versatility and sounds different. Get the CR if in budget. 40 also has modes the 20 does not.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good deal depends on condition.
There are also some differences between the 40C and 40CR.
(something about the loop IIRC & not sure what else)
You should look into that before deciding.

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Forget about the JHS black box, it’s an overpriced gimmick.
They won’t get anything cooking. They work really well with amps that has super sensitive masters, but the DSL series have channel volumes that’ll work just as good.

Get one of the cheap resistive attenuators from Jet City, Bugera or Harley Benton, as they will allow you to actually use the power amp for it’s intended purpose.

jb5150

Reaction score
Gain is at. 8, master vol 4

Black box maybe at 2pm. There’s a slight bit of fuzz is that just a character of Marshall amps or that I have two volumes?

It stays pretty tight at low volume still some head room

steveb63

Reaction score
Up to you. Again, l black box simply becomes another master volume, does nothing more.
In any case, CR has much more versatility and sounds different. Get the CR if in budget. 40 also has modes the 20 does not.
I also think it had a "revoicing" as well.

Seems to be not so fizzy. I had the 40 watt for a while, got rid of it last year. FF to me trying out the new release 20 watt, and well........... my posts with photos kinda tell the story.

jb5150

Reaction score
40C vs 40CR if I’m using level 2 gain and around same volume consistently - much difference at?

It’s also going from $500 to nearly double the price.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Another option is headphones. A cheap, decent SS amp like a Line 6 with a bunch of effects and whatnot will do just fine. If you're turning the volume way down in the first place, you're not going to get that big tube sound anyway.

steveb63

Reaction score
40C vs 40CR if I’m using level 2 gain and around same volume consistently - much difference at?

It’s also going from $500 to nearly double the price.
All the following is my opinion only, and applies as if I was deciding for myself.

Disclaimer aside, the newer model has upgraded the red channel, to me it sounds better. Is it $500 USD different? No, to me the tone upgrades can be had with some creative e.q.ing, maybe a pedal to tighten it up etc....

I would save the cash in my case. Now if you're asking me my choice price no object well.... I would pick up the newer model.

I'm also certain, that if you get a combo, a speaker upgrade would make the biggest difference.

All my opinion only, I realize what's good for me may not be for someone else, but since you asked.

jb5150

Reaction score
All the following is my opinion only, and applies as if I was deciding for myself.

Disclaimer aside, the newer model has upgraded the red channel, to me it sounds better. Is it $500 USD different? No, to me the tone upgrades can be had with some creative e.q.ing, maybe a pedal to tighten it up etc....

I would save the cash in my case. Now if you're asking me my choice price no object well.... I would pick up the newer model.

I'm also certain, that if you get a combo, a speaker upgrade would make the biggest difference.

All my opinion only, I realize what's good for me may not be for someone else, but since you asked.
It’s one of those things that is entirely subjective.

Take turntables for example. There are guys out there that are convinced they can hear the sq difference with their $10k cable or $2k needle vs a generic $50 one.

It comes down to what sounds best to your ears, hence having to listen for yourself - which I just did.

I ended up buying the JHS black box (I have 30 days to return it), That way I can try other amps out at tbe volime I’d have in my apartment.

That said I noodled around with the 40C for a good hour. It had more umph at low volume than I had expected even with the JHS. I probably would’ve purchased sit there if it wasn’t 650 used which in my opinion is too much. Considering I found an even better condition one for $500 online (local).

For me at had the older Van Halen sound that I can’t get with my 5150. So it might just fit the bill and that price point and size. I’m not in any huge rush but I am considering picking up the $500 one. I would like to try to the 40 CR again because the one I tried a month or so ago I think had some broken tubes sounded thin and hollow.

JBA

Reaction score
So...my peavey 5150 combo collects dust at my folks' place as I'd rather not get evicted.

Currently I am using a little Spark amp that produces ~40 watts at 116SPL. That said I'm playing it at 2-3 volume.

The 40C/CR models make me a bit nervous as they can get quite loud. I know I could bring it down to 20watts but I'm reading it doesn't sound so hot at that volume.

I was thinking of the 20C or 20CR models, but even if they proved too loud and I added a JHS Little Black Amp Box Signal Converter
if that would suffice. As one commenter adds

"The Little Black Box pedal goes through the effects loop and acts as a master volume for the amp. Now I can max the volume to get that sweet tube overdrive and use the JHS pedal to reduce the volume to bedroom level. "

Maybe I should resign to sticking with my Spark for now or my computer setup.

Thoughts?
I’d recommend the spark or a Katana 50 or good headphones with a good multi effects pedal for your scenario / what you we’re asking in the o.p. Unless you are really just looking for a new shinny toy, I’d say you already have what you need.