DSL20C or 20CR for small apartment

• Thread starter jb5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
It'd be nice if I could find a boss multi that just has a few analog things such as a compression sustainer and delay.

Define analog. I guess anything chip based doesn't count, so even then the older BOSS COSM based stuff? True, the first incantations were a poor joke, but they cleaned up their act pretty quickly. The nearest thing to a real BOSS/Roland *analog* multi would be something like my GP-8. That said, only the first 6 FX are true analog circuits, the delay and chorus are digital, but very good. I prefer the sound of the GP-8 for the effects it does for the most part over the GX-700, but the GX has the option of defining the effect order, defining where the loop is in the chain, level settings per effect and on the loop send/return, more effects in total, bypass, tuner, etc.

But, realistically, what's wrong with a BOSS ME something? You mentioned considering a BOSS DD7/8 earlier - the DD stands for Digital Delay, right. Digitech also make some nice multi-FX pedal packages and often work out a fair deal cheaper than BOSS. Just food for thought.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, realistically, what's wrong with a BOSS ME something?
I was thinking of suggesting the same.
I had an ME-80 - it was great for a multitude of effects.
No LCD screens or programming / presets / patch BS, just knobs for everything.
All front end though (not 4CM capable), I sold it because I got addicted to TBE in the loop.

jb5150

Reaction score
Define analog. I guess anything chip based doesn't count, so even then the older BOSS COSM based stuff? True, the first incantations were a poor joke, but they cleaned up their act pretty quickly. The nearest thing to a real BOSS/Roland *analog* multi would be something like my GP-8. That said, only the first 6 FX are true analog circuits, the delay and chorus are digital, but very good. I prefer the sound of the GP-8 for the effects it does for the most part over the GX-700, but the GX has the option of defining the effect order, defining where the loop is in the chain, level settings per effect and on the loop send/return, more effects in total, bypass, tuner, etc.

But, realistically, what's wrong with a BOSS ME something? You mentioned considering a BOSS DD7/8 earlier - the DD stands for Digital Delay, right. Digitech also make some nice multi-FX pedal packages and often work out a fair deal cheaper than BOSS. Just food for thought.
Some good points,

I m mistaken, it's a Boss GT8

Boss DD500 sounds pretty nice

Attachments

• 51pfPPJenCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51pfPPJenCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jb5150

Reaction score
So I swapped out all the 12AX7s, seemed fine for a few minutes...

the volume then goes up a bit and sounds not as thick, and drop back down. Power tubes?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference between these and the El34M?
Any EL34, 6CA7, KT77 will work.
Yes, there is a difference.
That article I linked can probably explain better than I.
I run 6CA7's in my DSL20HR and E34L's in my O20H.
What you like better is up to you.
Welcome down the rabbit hole, Alice...

FutureProf88

Reaction score
So...my peavey 5150 combo collects dust at my folks' place as I'd rather not get evicted.

Currently I am using a little Spark amp that produces ~40 watts at 116SPL. That said I'm playing it at 2-3 volume.

The 40C/CR models make me a bit nervous as they can get quite loud. I know I could bring it down to 20watts but I'm reading it doesn't sound so hot at that volume.

I was thinking of the 20C or 20CR models, but even if they proved too loud and I added a JHS Little Black Amp Box Signal Converter
if that would suffice. As one commenter adds

"The Little Black Box pedal goes through the effects loop and acts as a master volume for the amp. Now I can max the volume to get that sweet tube overdrive and use the JHS pedal to reduce the volume to bedroom level. "

Maybe I should resign to sticking with my Spark for now or my computer setup.

Thoughts?

I’d go with a DSL1 if you want to get a Marshall for DSL20 money though, have you considered an attenuator for your 5150?

jb5150

Reaction score
Oh I know diff tubes diff tonal characteristics. But wasn't sure if 34M and 34 were the same or not.

steveb63

Reaction score
Any EL34, 6CA7, KT77 will work.
Yes, there is a difference.
That article I linked can probably explain better than I.
I run 6CA7's in my DSL20HR and E34L's in my O20H.
What you like better is up to you.
Welcome down the rabbit hole, Alice...
And I will trying this recommendation this weekend.....

ken361

Reaction score
Maybe I need to be more specific of what sorta sound I'm shooting for.

Something like the old VH tone, which I can't get on the 5150. But I know to get that the amp really needs to be pushed hence I was thinking of the little black box. I'm not even 100% sure if the DSL is the way to go.
Just bought a EVH 5150 it sounds huge. can still sound decent it at low volume,has a load of low end if you need it.

Last edited:

jb5150

Reaction score
Not as much tonal differences as you might think with power tubes, the preamp is where the differences are more noticeable. The preamp tubes.
I can grab the 2 EL334s and at least see if that resolves the issue.