Dsl20cr And Fizzy Tone

• Thread starter Seventh Son
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Our hearing changes from day to day, and even throughout the day. I've experienced this more times than I can count. I'll fire up an amp and hear fizz city. Two hours later I come back and suddenly no fizz.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. I wish our hearing was more reliable. This is very frustrating. I’m glad to have your guys’ help with extra pairs of objective ears.

Last edited:

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I found a solution to the fizziness on the DSL20CR. First, set Middle fairly high. I have mine on 10, but it starts sounding good from 8 on or so. Next, set Presence very high, as well, to open it up. Otherwise, the amp sounds dull and like it has a blanket over it. I have mine on 10, but I suspect that anything over 7 will work. Then set the rest of the EQ to taste, but keep treble somewhere below 5, not much more than 5. I find that this gets rid of the fizz on recordings and the amp sounds gorgeous. I put the mic halfway between the center and edge of the speaker.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Wow, was reading this thread and had to smile while reading a bunch of the info. Not all, but some quite bad! So, I figured maybe I could add some useful info, maybe :)
If you are getting too much fizz with a DSL, TURN YOUR TREBLE, PRESENCE AND GAIN DOWN! Start with All controls at noon. Turn volume to a good listening level. Turn gain up just to the point you think it isn't enough. Like, that's ok, but could use a bit more. Then, keep turning the master volume up till you now feel like the gain is enough. Does it need a little or less TMB? Move the knobs only about 1 or 2 from noon. Is this good? What is it lacking? Try a different speaker and or cab. Move the amp in a different room, Still sound the same? Maybe you can't achieve that tone because it is your guitar or PUPS. Maybe it's just your hands?
I could take 20 guys into my studio and have them play the exact same gear but each one had to set their own settings. I bet I would get close to 20 different guitar sounds.
That my friends is why Marshall amps rock. They let you be you!
If you think you can use every bit of the same gear as your favorite idol and capture the sound identical, you are mad!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon something interesting. I decided to copy Dave's settings to the "t," including his preference for maxing out gain (on his JMP-1 it's set to 20, which, I believe, is the maximum). After I did that on my DSL20CR, that seemed to remove the fizziness and thicken the tone. I didn't think that would work, because conventional wisdom tells us to use as little gain as possible. The settings I used were as follows.
Bass 4
Middle 5
Treble 4
Presence 5
Resonance 5
Gain 10
Reverb 7
Volume 2.2 (as per Glen Fricker's advice in his How to Dial in a Guitar Amp Youtube video)
Mic placed pointing straight at the grill cloth, an inch away, roughly where cone and cap meet, so that should, in theory, produce a fizzy sound, but that didn't happen. Below is a sample. Let me know what you think.

When I recorded the guitars along a backing track from the original recording, my guitars sounded a little thinner, but the character is so similar that you wouldn't even notice it's not the original. I'm sure that with volume cranked and microphone placement optimized, I could get even closer to the original.

It sounds like I am in the room with your amp, sounds good brother!

Last edited:

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Wow, was reading this thread and had to smile while reading a bunch of the info. Not all, but some quite bad! So, I figured maybe I could add some useful info, maybe :)
If you are getting too much fizz with a DSL, TURN YOUR TREBLE, PRESENCE AND GAIN DOWN! Start with All controls at noon. Turn volume to a good listening level. Turn gain up just to the point you think it isn't enough. Like, that's ok, but could use a bit more. Then, keep turning the master volume up till you now feel like the gain is enough. Does it need a little or less TMB? Move the knobs only about 1 or 2 from noon. Is this good? What is it lacking? Try a different speaker and or cab. Move the amp in a different room, Still sound the same? Maybe you can't achieve that tone because it is your guitar or PUPS. Maybe it's just your hands?
I could take 20 guys into my studio and have them play the exact same gear but each one had to set their own settings. I bet I would get close to 20 different guitar sounds.
That my friends is why Marshall amps rock. They let you be you!
If you think you can use every bit of the same gear as your favorite idol and capture the sound identical, you are mad!
For the longest time I had Treble and Presence way down, because I thought that the fizz was generated by those two, but I was proved wrong. I know is sounds counterintuitive, but it really is important to set Presence fairly high. That was pretty much all it took to give me the tones I want.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
It sounds like in the room with your amp, sounds good brother!
The settings I obtained for Dave Murray that I listed above were incorrect, since the TMB controls on his JMP-1 range from -6 to +6. So, his Classic Rhythm (ca. Piece of Mind and Powerslave albums) settings of Bass 4, Middle 5, Treble 4 on his JMP-1 would translate to something like this:
Bass 8
Middle 9
Treble 8
Gain 10 (20 on his JMP-1)
For lead, he cranks everything to 10 (666 on his JMP-1).

When I played my DSL20CR today, the settings that I finally settled on were:
Bass 4
Middle 10 (although I find 8 also sounds pretty good)
Treble 3
Presence 10
Resonance 4
Gain 8
+ CE-2W chorus in the loop
This sounds almost exactly like the guitar tone on the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album. I did a test recording with the original backing track, and the result was amazing. I can't stop listening to it.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
The settings I obtained for Dave Murray that I listed above were incorrect, since the TMB controls on his JMP-1 range from -6 to +6. So, his Classic Rhythm (ca. Piece of Mind and Powerslave albums) settings of Bass 4, Middle 5, Treble 4 on his JMP-1 would translate to something like this:
Bass 8
Middle 9
Treble 8

Bass 4
Treble 3
Presence 10
Resonance 4
Gain 8
This sounds almost exactly like the guitar tone on the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album. I did a test recording with the original backing track, and the result was amazing. I can't stop listening to it.
I like hearing your clips brother, and what is evidence of the tone taking a stroll through the frequency’s, and it’s getting better with each clip you put up!

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I like hearing your clips brother, and what is evidence of the tone taking a stroll through the frequency’s, and it’s getting better with each clip you put up!
Thank you. I think I've finally figured things out. No more complaining about my DSLs sounding fizzy or not sounding like in professional recordings.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Cool brother but I still would like to hear more of your clips :cheers:
Here's a rough recording I did today. My playing is not as tight, since I was more interested in how it would sound. It's still not finished; the quiet middle section is missing the clean guitars, the echoes, and the rhythm guitar that builds up, and the solos are missing the rhythm guitars. Even so, you probably won't even notice the missing parts.

Last edited:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bass 8
Middle 9
Treble 8

Bass 4
Treble 3
Presence 10
Resonance 4
Gain 8

I will try that :)

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Here's a rough recording I did today. My playing is not as tight, since I was more interested in how it would sound. It's still not finished; the quiet middle section is missing the clean guitars, the echoes, and the rhythm guitar that builds up, and the solos are missing the rhythm guitars. Even so, you probably won't even notice the missing parts.

The fizz doesn't show up in the recording, although I believe you about the fizz. I just don't hear it in that particular mix.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
The fizz doesn't show up in the recording, although I believe you about the fizz. I just don't hear it in that particular mix.
In the recording I just posted, there is no fizz whatsoever. The key is: Presence on 10 or very close to 10. In fact, I would use Presence in the 8-10 range for subtle light-dark contrasting, depending on the song. And, put the Middle knob close to 10. In the recording, it was on 10, but I like it on 8. I'll have to see if I can make it work with the knob on 8, as I would like to hear just a little more density and darkness in the power chords. But even if I left everything as is right now, it's an amazing tone.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I initially thought you were playing one guitar against the song on a loud stereo set up! Great job and playing :cheers:

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I initially thought you were playing one guitar against the song on a loud stereo set up! Great job and playing :cheers:
Thank you. This is what the project currently looks like. It's a complex song that requires multiple layers, some of which are very hard to make out, unless you can track down some isolated tracks. I've studied this album pretty much since I first heard it in 1995, and I am still discovering new things.
upload_2018-11-4_17-36-42.jpeg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you. This is what the project currently looks like. It's a complex song that requires multiple layers, some of which are very hard to make out, unless you can track down some isolated tracks. I've studied this album pretty much since I first heard it in 1995, and I am still discovering new things.
View attachment 52079
I am the same way, but I rarely play any cover music anymore, one of the last ones(years ago) was mother Mary UFO, the more I tried to mimic everything the more I would find in the song that most people would shrug off, so l feel you on this aspect!

Latest posts