DSL40 CR - Alternative Footswitches

• Thread starter sld
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any alternatives to the huge 6 button footswitch, possibly using midi but may not be good for someone who is digitally challenged, thanks
:welcome: to the forum.
The standard footswitch that comes stock with the DSL40CR is the 2-button PEDL-90012.
It just does channel and fx loop.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
In this recent thread a guy uses a Disaster Area MIDI Baby 3-switch pedal to control his 40CR (post #34 onwards).
It is seemingly a doddle to program them by USB and you can select PC# & multiple CC#s for each switch.
They are relatively expensive compared to the 91016, and the larger multi-button pedals even more so.
By the time you've reached that level of expense you might as well get a 2nd hand multi-effect.

The HoTone Ampero Control looks like it could be a good bet though.
4 programmable switches in a compact form, and jacks to add more outboard CTL switches.

I use a Boss GT-100, which works well, and I get to insert various effects (like a decent reverb!) in a 4CM MIDI setup.
The main limitation of the GT-100 though is the rigid sequence of PC#s.
So, in each 4-preset bank of user patches I have to have all four of the 40CR channel modes.

If I could choose again, I would probably get a Boss MS-3.
Based on a simplified GT-100 effects, but smaller, with two jacks for four outboard CTLs or two EXPs.
A big plus is that you can select PC#s sent for each patch, i.e., 40CR channel modes.
But you lose Amp & Cab Sims, the EXP pedal, Looper, and onboard CTLs.
It also has three FX loops for 4CM and inserting other pedals you might own, but these remain grouped together in the chain.
All programmable with the MS-3 Editor PC app via USB.
@FracStrat is your man for more info on the Boss effect switcher lineup.

Last edited:

Tom Arbogast

Reaction score
I use a Source Audio Soleman for MIDI switching on my pedalboard and channel switching on my DSL40CR. Works great and is very flexible.

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
I use a Source Audio Soleman for MIDI switching on my pedalboard and channel switching on my DSL40CR. Works great and is very flexible.
Do you use the second midi output on the Soleman to the amp and the first output to your effects? Or one continuous chain with the amp and pedals?

Nevets

Reaction score
im in excatly the same boat here... now I'm thinking about Helix LT to get all job done in one.

Tom Arbogast

Reaction score
Th

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the neuro hub for effects? I’m trying to wrap my head around how to set everything up.
Yes, I use the Neuro hub on both of my boards. It's a bit tricky to get started, but once you figure it out it's pretty easy to make changes. Source Audio has a bunch of YouTube videos on the setup process.

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
Yes, I use the Neuro hub on both of my boards. It's a bit tricky to get started, but once you figure it out it's pretty easy to make changes. Source Audio has a bunch of YouTube videos on the setup process.
Thanks for the reply. If you don’t mind sharing: Using the Soleman switcher, how can I change channels on the amp while simultaneously pulling up a scene on the neuro hub?

Tom Arbogast

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If you don’t mind sharing: Using the Soleman switcher, how can I change channels on the amp while simultaneously pulling up a scene on the neuro hub?
The amp and the hub must be configured on their own Midi channels. I have the hub on channel 1 and the amp on channel 2. Configure the Soloman to send the appropriate PC # on the hub channel to change scenes on the SA pedals and the amp channel to change channels.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
What about Boss GX100? A lot less expansive than the helix..
The only problem with the GX is the rigid set of all four DSL modes per bank of patches, with a DSL40CR.
You have to have Classic Clean, Classic Crunch, Ultra Green, and Ultra Red in every bank, in that order.
This is because the PC# sending is fixed in a Boss GX-100 (and GT-100).
I think with a GT-1000 and the Helix, the user can set the PC# sent by each patch.
That means you could have banks with all Ultra Green variations, etc., if you wanted.

If that is important to you.

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
The amp and the hub must be configured on their own Midi channels. I have the hub on channel 1 and the amp on channel 2. Configure the Soloman to send the appropriate PC # on the hub channel to change scenes on the SA pedals and the amp channel to change channels.
how do I put the amp on a different channel? I need a crash course in this stuff. It’s like a foreign language to me.

Latest posts