• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Dsl40c And 1986 Proco Rat Whiteface

• Thread starter DawgFather
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DawgFather

Reaction score
Whats up....I just acquired a 1986 ProCo RAT Whiteface. Pedal is in overall great shape, has the LM308 chip,and I have verified the year through the Pots. Anyway I ran it direct to my DSL's clean/crunch channel and when I engage the pedal I get a massive drop in volume. If I use it on the red channel I still get the same volume drop. This doesn't happen with my other OD pedal's. I'm using a 9volt instead of the power supply untill I can locate one. I have not tried running it through the FX loop. Is this an issue with my pedal or possibly my amp? Thanks guys...

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Not that this is relevant at all but does the same thing happen if you run the pedal thru the FX loop?
BP

royslead

Reaction score
What settings are you using on the pedal, and on the amp? If you volume set pretty low on the amp, you maybe running out of headroom.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
This is the one you have?
Small Box RAT 1984-88
history_smbox.jpg

Small Box RAT

The switch to the “Small Box” RAT was essentially just a cosmetic makeover. While the circuit remained the same, the enclosure evolved into a more compact version, with a 12-gauge U-shaped base. The Pro Co logo sat next to the RAT logo on the pedal top, silk-screened in black inside of a white box. In 1986, the logo was reversed to white on the black, painted metal.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Here are the specs from the Proco site for the RAT power supply.
Just to make sure you're ok on that front.
Input Type: Fixed Blade

Input Voltage: 100~132 VAC

Output Voltage: 9VDC

Current – Output: (Max) 660mA

Polarization: Negative Center

Output Connector: Barrel Plug (2.1mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D. x 12.0mm)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
This is the one you have?
Small Box RAT 1984-88
history_smbox.jpg

Small Box RAT

The switch to the “Small Box” RAT was essentially just a cosmetic makeover. While the circuit remained the same, the enclosure evolved into a more compact version, with a 12-gauge U-shaped base. The Pro Co logo sat next to the RAT logo on the pedal top, silk-screened in black inside of a white box. In 1986, the logo was reversed to white on the black, painted metal.

I have the same one with the reversed logo white letters in black box, I believe its a 1988. Considering its age it works perfectly. :yesway:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
So I just tried out my RAT v2. No trouble bringing it up to unity gain and beyond in both channels of the DSL40C.
Obviously not the same v as your RAT so not much help.
BP

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Are you using an OD or Compressor before it? If you are, and that OD/Comp is higher than unity, most drive pedals will drop volume when engaged. Unless, in this case, the Rat level is set higher than the pedal before it, the volume will drop when it’s engaged. Also, some pedals don’t have a lot of output, so you have to crank their level to get unity.
Good luck with your issue!

DawgFather

Reaction score
I have a Tuner then my RAT then some other OD pedals on my board. I tried the RAT in the loop and that wasnt good. This morning after work I just ran the RAT straight in all knobs at noon and played around with the volume and Gain on the amp. On green ch. I can get workable volume but even if I crank it the volume doesn't get real "loud". On red ch. I can get more volume but it just seems like I should have more available...maybe it's just me as I'm new to this but with no pedal my amp gets really loud. Could someone explain gain unity to me? Im a little confused. Also would it make a difference if I used a power supply instead of a 9volt? Thank you!

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I have a Tuner then my RAT then some other OD pedals on my board. I tried the RAT in the loop and that wasnt good. This morning after work I just ran the RAT straight in all knobs at noon and played around with the volume and Gain on the amp. On green ch. I can get workable volume but even if I crank it the volume doesn't get real "loud". On red ch. I can get more volume but it just seems like I should have more available...maybe it's just me as I'm new to this but with no pedal my amp gets really loud. Could someone explain gain unity to me? Im a little confused. Also would it make a difference if I used a power supply instead of a 9volt? Thank you!
You have unity gain when your volume doesn’t change when you engage the pedal. It has nothing to do with distortion. The word gain has been coopted by the guitar community to mean distortion, it really means volume.

DawgFather

Reaction score
Still haven issue's...Rat straight in to clean,volume on RAT at almost max,distortion and Filter are halfway,when I engage the RAT I have to turn the volume up on the DSL to almost max to get a working volume,when i disengage the RAT I have to roll the volume on the amp back down. I have unity gain with all my other pedal's. Thoughts...?

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Dawg..you've got to try the RAT in a couple of other amps.
If it doesn't work in them then the pedal is at fault.
And vice versa.
BP

Latest posts